“high coffee” 4 of 5 bubbles

Laynes Espresso
Ranked #2 of 67 Coffee & Tea in Leeds
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Seating, Takeout
Description: Coffee Shop in Leeds serving the very best coffees and teas available to UK market. To go with your crafted brewed coffee, jasmine pearl tea or flat white we have a range of in-house made sandwiches, muffins, brownies and there's pastries available for breakfast
Leeds, United Kingdom
“high coffee”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

I read about Laynes on trip advisor and made a bee line for it on a trip to Leeds. We were greeted warmly and ordered a cappuccino, hot chocolate and a pain au raisin. I thought the price was reasonable and all the items hit the spot. in fact the pastry was so large I asked for it to be cut in two and the staff happily bagged it up. next time I will try the sourdough toast unless of course the cake display distracts my eyes from the menu board again. My only down side with this small but perfectly formed coffee shop was the height of the seating. I am 5ft 3 in and struggled to hoist my self up onto the bench and getting down was literally a leap of faith. I hope the seats downstairs are closer to the floor. I will return with platform shoes.

Leeds
“Charming little place, bit trendy, food pretty good, pricey.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

The staff here are super-trendy and the clientele kind of are too - so that does make it a little bit hard to just relax, but you can't deny the place has charm. It's very small and a bit rustic with posh names for their cakes, etc. The food was pretty good - the soup (butternut squash) was definitely good - and slightly different to your usual butternut squash soup (not quite as sweet as usual - which was refreshing). I had a applewood smoked cheddar sandwich with pickle. The texture of the cheese wasn't for me though - too soft - but maybe that just me. My latte was nice but I've never known why places sometimes serve them in little glasses (traditional?). I think one of the problems with somewhere so small is that the atmosphere can so easily be dictated by whoever you happen to be sharing the room with - which in our case was a bunch of rather loud men having some kind of meeting about something or other - a band meeting maybe. Anyway, I didn't want to hear about it.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Outstanding cakes and coffee”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

We ordered 2 cappuccino with a slice of ginger cake and chocolate brownie. Both of the cakes were excellent, it tasted like the cake was made with fresh ginger instead of powder, best ginger cake I ever had (and trust me, I'm quite an expert).
Coffee was lovely too.

Great place, will be getting take away from here.

Carnforth
“Great independent coffee shop”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

Called on a Saturday lunchtime en route to the First Direct Arena in Leeds city centre.

Laynes is in a good location, less than 5 minutes from Leeds rail station and close to city centre shops.

It's fairly small but there is extra seating (again not huge) downstairs and this somehow adds to the good atmosphere of the place.

Although it was a busy Saturday we were able to get a table and had a couple of sandwiches and cakes between us. There were four sandwiches available (all in decent
looking bread) and we tried the halloumi one along with a chorizo & mozzarella combo. Plenty of different cakes available, all looked good and the ones we had (lemon drizzle and a raspberry brioche) were great. Coffee was superb (different league to the big chains). Overall we paid pennies short of £20 for two sandwiches, two cakes, two coffees and a Fentimans Dandelion and Burdock.

Given the quality of everything and pleasant atmosphere it was worth every penny and we will definitely return next time we're in Leeds.

Calgary, Canada
“Great coffee, convenient location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

I stopped here on a recent day in to Leeds after hearing about it from a few cafe owners in Harrogate. The first thing that struck me was the organization of the space - it's very open to conversation and comfortable. We ordered two americanos, and split a sandwich. For the price, it was phenomenal! The food was great, and the coffee lived up to the hype.

It's nice to have a comfortable environment where you can relax and appreciate your coffee.

• Visited December 2013