“The Tea Room is the best in Leeds...”
Review of Temple Newsam

Temple Newsam
Ranked #6 of 173 things to do in Leeds
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the great country houses of England set within a Capability Brown landscape surrounded by beautiful parkland which includes a working rare breeds farm, Temple Newsam has so much to offer visitors.Famous as the birth place of Lord Darnley, notorious husband of Mary Queen of Scots, Temple Newsam House is a truly impressive Tudor-Jacobean mansion. Described as the Hampton Court of the North with over 40 lovingly restored rooms to view, it is now home to one of the most important collections of decorative arts. Explore the treasures of silver, ceramics, fine art, Chippendale furniture, and wallpaper all housed within the Tudor Jacobean Mansion. Discover the stories of the people who lived at Temple Newsam by joining one of our regular weekly tours or picking up the FREE audio guide. Look out for holiday activities and craft fun for all ages and the changing programme of talks, concerts and theatre. Visit our special, changing programme of exhibitions. Take time to visit the gift shop offering a range of products inspired by the collections within the House followed by lunch or tea in the Stables Tea room. Explore the lakeside walks and gardens of delphiniums, rhododendrons, flocks and asters. See a variety of rare breed animals in Home Farm. Enjoy some leisure time and book our football pitches, enjoy a round of golf, walk in the woods and discover the folly or explore the bridle paths.
Reviewed July 1, 2014

As someone who is from Leeds, and enjoys walking my dog, I often enjoy spend my time at parks such as Temple Newsam.
While, because of my dog, I unfortunately did not get the chance to visit either the farm or the house (but have heard excellent things about both) the Tea Room was wonderful. I popped in on Sunday 29th June for lunch, and despite being slightly busy because of the event that was taking place at Temple Newsam-The Race for Life, I was served quickly and efficiently, but never felt rushed. The two girls on serve never once stopped smiling, and when I mentioned my dog I was offered some paper towels and cushions for the seats out side so we didn't get our bums wet! Whilst drying our seat the girl who had previously served us, mentioned that the shop in the courtyard sold icecream for dogs(!) and I couldn't resist treating Simba. The gentleman that served us in the shop was also a delight. I never usually comment on reviews such as this, but those three were so lovely and really seemed to enjoy their jobs that I couldn't resist reviewing them!

I would highly recommend a visit to Temple Newsam if you"re in the area-especially to the Tea Room. It made my day.

3  Thank Gillian C
in 15 reviews
"car park"
in 45 reviews

Reviewed June 28, 2014

Blown away are words that hardly describe this outstanding and mind-blowing Jacobean house on the outskirts of Leeds. The modest entrance hall belies what is inside including a gigantic Picture Gallery containing an incredible collection of old master paintings. There are countless rooms and galleries each containing incredible treasures dating from the Tudor to the Victorian eras.The entrance price is so modest as to be ridiculous. WHY WERE WE THE ONLY PEOPLE THERE?!!This museum should count along side the National Gallery and Victorian & Albert Museums in London. It is quite simply A REVELATION. Tell all of your friends and your friends friends. It is quite simply SUPERB!!!

Reviewed June 28, 2014

We use to visit the farm quite often when our children were young - haven't been for years, so with my daughter, her best friend and her 14th month old daughter, we packed a picnic, on a lovely summers day and went to Temple Newsam. We visited the farm - at a cost of £3.50 each for adults, we were very disappointed - will not be going there again.
The grounds are lovely for a picnic, lots of wide open spaces for children to run and have fun.

Reviewed June 21, 2014

I don't know if it is just me but I feel the whole place feels so oppressive,the only birds seem to be crows and the house appears to be so unhappy. My husband adores the place though.

2  Thank paulineworrall
See more reviews
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I used to go here when I was young but haven't visited for at least 20 years so it was going to be interesting to see if it had changed. Firstly, there was lots of disabled parking (free) so that most areas of this extensive park would be accessible for those who cannot walk far which is to be commended. Michael and I then decided we would try and find the cafe - as others were doing - but there were no signposts at all for this so we walked down towards the lake ( which was signposted) and had a pleasant walk in a well maintained park. There are lots of seats to sit on which always deserves an extra star in a review of an extensive area of parkland otherwise it wouldn't be accessible to me or currently my husband who is recovering from a foot operation.
Near the lakes are the walled gardens - what a beautiful and peaceful place this is full of colour and bees and again, lots of seats to take in all the wonderful garden. The greenhouses were closed unfortunately so we moved on and attempted to find a toilet. Now this was another thing that wasn't signposted and we had to wander back up to the signposts near the farm to try and find something that would direct us to them. Nothing! Now this is one of my bug bears, in a park which covers such a large area one would expect toilets at both ends of the parkland otherwise for small children, elderly people, etc the lack of toilets can pose a major problem. However, as far as I was able to ascertain there weren't any at the lake area/walled garden end of the park. Further had I not seen someone through a window I would not have found the toilets, courtyard or cafe at the top end of the park since none of them were signposted. Maybe most of the locals know where they are but I didn't and neither did the large party arriving by coach at the same time as we did.
So, first stop was the toilets!. now I completely missed. the disabled toilets at the side of the ramp going up to the main toilets. The door to the disability toilet was painted black and didn't have any sign on it. It was only when I looked closely that I noticed that it required a radar key and investigated. However, before I did I used the toilet in the main block which was obviously the mother and baby toilet. I wish I hadn't because this is where Temple Newsam lost a rating. The mother/baby toilet was filfthy from the mould growing around the taps, the filthy tiles and doors and baby changing unit to the lollipop sticks and pop bottle lying around on the floor. I was appalled. Yes, the lollipop sticks and pop bottles could have only been there a few minutes but the grime elsewhere didn't happen overnight.. It is a great shame I did not have my camera with me otherwise I would have taken pictures so it is at this point that I cannot recommend anyone taking their baby into this toilet until it is thoroughly cleaned up - it really is a health hazard!. It is unlikely we will be visiting here again for a while so someone please report on whether this area has been cleaned up since I wrote this.
The cafe is clean and the selection of food reasonably priced. The courtyard was pleasant and so we had coffee and scones which came to £9.80.
We didn't visit the farm since we had our labrador, Barney with us and neither did we go to the house although entry to the farm and house would have been £7.50 if we had chosen to. The amphitheatre next to the courtyard was lovely.
So, on the whole I can thoroughly recommend the park but it does need a couple of signs and yes, clean that toilet up.
The cafe wa