“lovely day out”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Temple Newsam

Temple Newsam
Ranked #3 of 149 things to do in Leeds
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the great country houses of England set within a Capability Brown landscape surrounded by beautiful parkland which includes a working rare breeds farm, Temple Newsam has so much to offer visitors.Famous as the birth place of Lord Darnley, notorious husband of Mary Queen of Scots, Temple Newsam House is a truly impressive Tudor-Jacobean mansion. Described as the Hampton Court of the North with over 40 lovingly restored rooms to view, it is now home to one of the most important collections of decorative arts. Explore the treasures of silver, ceramics, fine art, Chippendale furniture, and wallpaper all housed within the Tudor Jacobean Mansion. Discover the stories of the people who lived at Temple Newsam by joining one of our regular weekly tours or picking up the FREE audio guide. Look out for holiday activities and craft fun for all ages and the changing programme of talks, concerts and theatre. Visit our special, changing programme of exhibitions. Take time to visit the gift shop offering a range of products inspired by the collections within the House followed by lunch or tea in the Stables Tea room. Explore the lakeside walks and gardens of delphiniums, rhododendrons, flocks and asters. See a variety of rare breed animals in Home Farm. Enjoy some leisure time and book our football pitches, enjoy a round of golf, walk in the woods and discover the folly or explore the bridle paths.
London, United Kingdom
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“lovely day out”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

This makes a nice day out with the house a small animal farm and nice cafe. Lots of space in a lovely setting perfect for families. The house is wonderful and worth a visit with an interesting history. The cafe is a bit over priced but can be forgiven because the quality and portion sizes are good. There is lots of room to park which is free. Makes a nice break from the city.

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Family friendly day out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

Traffic free park with various carparking areas,with childrens playground, small animal farm and stately home to look around, the farm and home have an entry fee but both are excellent value.There is a courtyard café and shop with tourist information etc.The lake and flower gardens are well worth a look and the large grounds provide lots of various walks and are dog friendly.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank greyhairedcouple
Midlands
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 119 helpful votes
“The cheapest way to spend a surprise afternoon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

Just by a chance conversation with a friend of mine, who is a bit `arty`, she mentioned she was intending to go to visit this place. I had never heard of it. My guy, who was very involved with the regeneration of Leeds - had never heard of it ! Shame ! Grudgingly, he came along with me on a cold autumn day, and 3 hours later, was astounded that he had never been, never heard of it, and, by comparison to Chatsworth, which is on our doorstep, was also amazed how CHEAP it was. £3.00 and an audio guide which is absolutely fascinating. This house which has actually BEEN a home, to Lord Darnley, no less, husband of Mary Queen of Scots, and not some rusting old museum, gives a genuine insight into the fortunes and MIS fortunes over the centuries, all of which is relayed by descendants of the actual owners. A surprise not to miss even if you are not in the area.

Pontefract, United Kingdom
114 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 104 helpful votes
“Termple Newsam House”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

My first time in house. Stunning. Opportunity to get up close to a superb collection of artifacts. I was taken by the time different themes and conditions of individual rooms, giving insight into different historical periods, fashions and styles. Some rooms are pristine, others stripped right back to the original Tudor brick work. I felt part of the experience - not roped 20 feet away from something you really want to see. Park land is lovely. A great place to bring kids to run about on a fine day. A nice farm where little ones can feed livestock. There is a newly built play area too.Charges are minimal - parking free. Entry to house £3.80. Would have paid more without hesitation. Excellent. How I have missed this treasure trove before I can't imagine.

13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A treasure house, but no photography”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

Temple Newsam is a lovely day out.
The collection within the house is extensive and beautiful and well worth the entry fee. Also,the house holds a central role in Tudor and Stuart history.
The grounds are a pleasure to walk in.
The café sells good food. I ordered a sausage sandwich. I was expecting a dreary sausage cut in half and put in a bun, but actually got three succulent sausages in a roll. the cakes are good as well.

The one glitch is the ban on photography. I asked the steward the reason for the ban and I was told it was considered "a security risk". I'm not sure how photography represents a security risk, and being able to wander about the house at your leisure doesn't. I'm yet to get a reply from Leeds Council regarding this anomaly.

Unfortunately, I think the photography ban is a lost opportunity. I visited on a half term weekend and the house was dead. I saw two other family groups in the house during my visit. Great for me, but these collections need financial support.

I'm not convinced that locals that know about Temple Newsam are fully aware of how amazing the interior is, and I don't think Temple Newsam is generally known about in the wider country. To allow no flash photography would inevitably result in widespread free advertising on social media sites.

If the concern regards loss of revenue from postcard sales, then the house should consider a nominal charge for photography. They use this system at the army museum in Vienna. I have some great photos of the car that Franz Ferdinand was using when assassinated because I paid a euro and wore a photography sticker on my coat - win win.

Despite the ridiculous photography ban, go and see the wonderful Temple Newsam.

Temple N, Manager at Temple Newsam, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Dear MattPShaw,
Thank you so much for your positive rating for Temple Newsam and you are right that the more that we can raise the profile of this treasure house the better.
I am surprised that you did not encounter our many visitors when you came recently but am glad that you found the house as amazing as we do.
With regards to the no photography policy in the House, this is standard practice in historic houses for a number of reasons including security, conservation, copyright and commercial protection - full details of the policy can be found as a document to download at http://www.leeds.gov.uk/museumsandgalleries/Pages/templenewsamhouse/Visitor-Information.aspx
This should have been explained to you more fully when you visited and the process for gaining permisson to take photographs. I hope this clarfies things for you and do get in touch with us at temple.newsam.house@leeds.gov.uk if we can help any further.
Thanks again for the 5 star rating!