“Impressive house, beautiful gardens, Fun farm!”
Review of Temple Newsam

Temple Newsam
Ranked #3 of 153 things to do in Leeds
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the great country houses of England set within a Capability Brown landscape surrounded by beautiful parkland which includes a working rare breeds farm, Temple Newsam has so much to offer visitors.Famous as the birth place of Lord Darnley, notorious husband of Mary Queen of Scots, Temple Newsam House is a truly impressive Tudor-Jacobean mansion. Described as the Hampton Court of the North with over 40 lovingly restored rooms to view, it is now home to one of the most important collections of decorative arts. Explore the treasures of silver, ceramics, fine art, Chippendale furniture, and wallpaper all housed within the Tudor Jacobean Mansion. Discover the stories of the people who lived at Temple Newsam by joining one of our regular weekly tours or picking up the FREE audio guide. Look out for holiday activities and craft fun for all ages and the changing programme of talks, concerts and theatre. Visit our special, changing programme of exhibitions. Take time to visit the gift shop offering a range of products inspired by the collections within the House followed by lunch or tea in the Stables Tea room. Explore the lakeside walks and gardens of delphiniums, rhododendrons, flocks and asters. See a variety of rare breed animals in Home Farm. Enjoy some leisure time and book our football pitches, enjoy a round of golf, walk in the woods and discover the folly or explore the bridle paths.
Leeds, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Impressive house, beautiful gardens, Fun farm!”
Reviewed September 28, 2011

My advice to people visiting Temple Newsam is is buy a combined farm and house ticket for only a few £'s extra it's definitely worth it!
The house is grand and very impressive with beautiful paintings, furniture and one of the most amazing staircases which always makes me smile when i visit!
We asked for the handheld guided tour when we paid and its a must when you visit! You find out some fascinating stories about the previous owners, decorations and even the ghosts that are said to roam the corridors!
The house is huge and it takes a good few hours to roam around taking everything in,also the staff at Temple Newsam are all very friendly and very helpful which i always find important.
The gardens are equally impressive, don't miss out the walled gardens and conservatory they are a must see and beautiful in spring and summer.
But overall the Farm is a firm favourite, we have visited many many times this year and every time we go there is something new or different to see!
Don't forget to visit the cafe and farm shop before you leave the food is delicious!

Visited August 2011
2 Thank laura M

Isle of Man, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Don't miss the Walled Garden and Conservatory”
Reviewed September 16, 2011

This excellent park has miles of traffic-free, good cycling.

The Rhododendron walk (pictured) is nice and the Walled Garden a well-kept secret.

2 Thank jogon c
Charleston, South Carolina
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Quick Hour Birthday Visit”
Reviewed August 3, 2011

I went on my boyfriend's birthday as a spur of the moment whim. We did not have any spare change to pay for the parking near the house so one of the groundsmen allowed us to go in the staff parking in front of the house as long as we were okay with manually opening and closing the gate. The house was very nice. It was an older version of the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC. I could not restrain myself from taking pictures inside of the house. I got in trouble eventually. We did not have time to explore much else of the estate except for the gardens behind the house. They had a good deal with their books. I got two books (one on the house, and another of the paintings inside the house) and an eco-friendly traveling bag all for 8 GBP.

1 Thank melainacastengera
Knottingley, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Wonderful place to visit”
Reviewed June 9, 2011

Temple Newsam has everything, historical house, farm & play area for children, acres of park land for picnics, dog walking, just simply relaxing.
Took our grandsons last week, they loved it. Returned today on our own to visit the house.

2 Thank scouserinty
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Amazing museum - Best value in the UK”
Reviewed November 15, 2010

I recently visited Yorkshire as part of a brief tour of the UK. I was particularly interested in the Ashley Jackson painting exhibition they have on at the moment (finishes spring 2011). I was expecting a small house like many of the other National Trust properties I visited whilst on my journey but this place was HUGE!

The rooms have been restored and preserved to an amazingly high standard and it was like being transported back in time. The Jackson paintings were fantastic although a little out of place in such a grand old building with them having only been painted in the last wfew years. I'm also a little disappointed that only half the paintings were on display when I visited as the room was too small to show the whole collection at once. Perhaps it would have been more appropriate to hang them in one of the many other, larger, grander rooms in the building. This is only a minor fault though. The painting exhibition was a side note on the other rooms and collections of the building. I was truly taken aback at the scale of the place and the wonderfully welcoming and informative staff.

Included in the ticket price was admission to the paintings exhibition (something I was expecting to pay extra for - and would have quite happily done so!), general admission to the house and gardens, a free audio guide and guided tours of the cellars and servants areas. The house also has a modern elavator so stairs are not an issue, which I was relieved to find.

Also on the land is a cafe, shop and working farm. They even sell the produce of the farm in the cafe and shop - I had a lovely rare breed cow hamburger. The staff in the cafe and shop, although very busy serving, were also polite and effecient.

I would thoroughly recommend a visit to this amazing piece of English history. Not just for the contents and decoration but also for the stunning fall leaves and historic farm on the surrounding land. Far less commercial than many of the other "Historic" buildings in the immediate area.... and a bargain at around $5 - by far the cheapest admission price for anything I paid entry for during my journey.

Bravo.