“Completely engrossing” 5 of 5 bubbles

Thackray Medical Museum
Ranked #5 of 149 things to do in Leeds
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The award winning Thackray Medical Museum is a completely unique visitor attraction. With nine interactive galleries, the fascinating exhibitions and collections tell a story of health that affects us all. Hear and smell what it was like to walk the grimy streets of Victorian Leeds, find out what it was like to undergo an operation without anaesthetic and explore your body in our jaw-dropping Life Zone gallery. Discover how medicine past and present is changing your future. We are bigger than you think, please allow 2-3 hours for your visit. *Tickets last for 12 months! *FREE weekly family activities and an ever-changing calendar of events and exhibitions. *Large on-site car park. *Learning cafe serving luches and tasty treats. *Curiosity shop selling a range of unique gifts and souvenirs. We are on Facebook and Twitter
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
231 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 201 helpful votes
“Completely engrossing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

We spent nearly five hours in the Thackray Medical Museum. We walked through mock-ups of how it was in earlier years, the muck and filth that people lived in, their awful illnesses and early death. Some of it was quite creepy with the mannequins - you half-expected them to start moving! A fabulous place to see, so interesting and informative.

Visited November 2012

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

Im 24 and went with my 25 year old boyfriend. We went on a saturday afternoon so it wasnt full of school trips. We found it really interesting, it is aimed at 10 year olds really and the growing up section is a bit too hands on for adults. The street is super though. We really enjoyed our trip but I wouldnt rush back soon...

2 Thank annapet
Bingley, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Very good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

I went with my 9 year old daughter. A very good museum, very good value, although I thought some of the information boards repetitive.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Ornum
Harrogate
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Mainly for Children”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

My wife used to be a doctor and as such was interested in the various instruments on display and likewise the development of medical procedures. I used to be an Engineer and also found a lot to be interested in from that point of view. However, be prepared for the majority of the information to be written for children. In fact the entire thrust of the museum seems to be for 6-14 year olds.

And on this basis, be warned. It was my second trip (my wife's first) and on both occasions there have been school visits around the place. And before anyone accuses me of being a Victor Meldrew character, I've got a young(ish) stepdaughter as well as 2 grandchildren.

These visits involve the children being given question sheets to fill in which involves them running around in groups trying to find the answers. There were 3 school visits while we were there. So be prepared for a lot of noise and crowding. And most of the noise is either from the complaining about how boring the museum is (which, to be fair it will be to a kid with no interest in what used to happen) or from the (few) noisy exhibits being repeatedly pressed. One teacher did apologise to us (and other adults present) but had the resigned look of "Well it gets them out of the classroom and expends a bit of energy"

I've given it 3 stars as it really needs to work out what it's there for. Is it for school trips - in which case it needs more relevant exhibits to get all kids interested. It's obvious that for most it isn't. Or is it for adults who want to see more of how medicine used to be - in which case the language on most of the exhibits needs to be changed and the "My Body" part needs serious rework as it's aimed at 6-10 year olds.

It's a shame I can't give it a higher recommendation as there is obviously a lot of interesting stuff there. I'd suggest you pick your times carefully.

2 Thank Fred_the_needle
Birmingham, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Walking through time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

I visited this museum on my own as my husband was working in Leeds for a couple of days, I found it excellent value for money as the card can be used again for the whole year, concessions enabled me to visit for £6, ordinary price is £7.
The waxworks I thought were a bit scary as they looked very lifelike but I am a bit of a wuss, the exhibits were suitably gory but bought the era to life, this is not a period of time that I would like to have lived through especially it being pre anasthesia but it was interesting to find out about it.
The cafe there was clean and the staff were very friendly and went to a lot of trouble to serve you, the chocolate cake was particulary tasty as was the french onion soup.
I would recommend a visit here.

3 Thank Paulinec707