“Kirkstall Abbey in the Sunshine”
Review of Kirkstall Abbey

Kirkstall Abbey
Ranked #4 of 152 things to do in Leeds
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
Whitby, United Kingdom
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Kirkstall Abbey in the Sunshine”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I visited here this Easter Monday with my son and elderly mother. We went to the park nearby first to let my little boy blow off some steam. We then had a walk round the Abbey Museum. The prices are very reasonable and you can use your Leeds Card. It was really interesting and the kids can dress up. We then crossed the road and had a lovely walk round the Abbey and the grounds. I was slightly disappointed at the amount of rubbish lying around, also in one of the alcoves there seemed to be some rolled up rolls of carpet. This made the Abbey look really untidy. The grounds are beautiful and we had a lovely walk along the river taking in the lovely scenery. Afterwards we crossed the road and went to the cafe. It was really nice food and the kids box wasn't too bad, a bag of crisps would be a nice addition to the box. The staff were polite and we didn't have to wait too long for our meals. I will be visiting here more often in future and would recommend Kirkstall Abbey to all ages, young and old.

Visited April 2014

20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Wow”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

What a place to walk round. Great stroll along the river edge. Lots of information around the Abbey to learn about its history. We spent the morning just looking and admiring the building. Also across the river you can see LEEDS Rhinos trianing on their ground.

Visited May 2013
Leeds, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Kirkstall Abbey, Leeds”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I have been visiting Kirkstall Abbey since I was a little girl and I am now 61 years old!!! I loved it as a child; I loved to take my own children there in the 70s and 80s. These days, I go there with my grandchildren and we always enjoy it.

On the third Saturday in July, Kirkstall Festival takes place in the grounds of the Abbey and this is a fabulous event, with stalls, entertainment and attractions.

The Abbey Museum is always worth a visit, on the other side of the main road from the Abbey ruins. It is filled with interesting artefacts and there is a lovely old street and shops to explore.

Kirkstall Abbey definitely forms part of the back drop of my life and I hope I can continue to visit for many years to come.

Visited February 2014
Worksop, United Kingdom
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Definitely worth a visit”
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Very interesting place for the whole family. We thoroughly enjoyed having a walk around and looking at the information signs to see what the Abbey was like years ago! We will definitely be coming back with a picnic in the summer.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank urbansmummy
Spofforth, United Kingdom
71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Nice Abbey but un-developed”
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Nice sized quite complete abbey. Entry through a side building with a small museum. Not very extensive and always seems cold and exposed with the darkened Yorkshire stone. The Abbey House museum across the road is well worth a visit.

Visited August 2013