“Amazing place”
Review of Kirkstall Abbey

Kirkstall Abbey
Ranked #4 of 153 things to do in Leeds
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Amazing place”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

all the previous comments already said everything, ill just confirm one more time, that is amazing place :)

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Kristynke

• Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Well worth a visit if you're in Leeds”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I used to live opposite Kirkstall Abbey, so used to visit it regularly and it formed part of my route for running!

The Abbey is great if you're interested in architecture and old buildings. Even if you're not, i'm sure you'll be impressed. The Abbey and surrounding parkland is also perfect if you enjoy photography.

Keep an eye out in the summer for the markets/festivals that are held here -they are all well worth a visit!

Also - there is a nice tea rooms just on the opposite side of Kirkstall Road. I think it's run by the Abbey

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Nick S
Leeds, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Must see historical treasure”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

My husband and I chose to visit Kirkstall Abbey on a whim. We were looking for a different way to spend our Saturday and came across this gold mine. We didn't realise we had such a beautiful piece of history on our door step.

From the outside it is very deceiving, it looks quite small but once on the other side the enormous scale of it become apparent, I was taken aback my the amazing ruins. There are many different nooks and crannies to explore with facts dotted around the place so you know what was where and when.

The remains and surroundings are extremely well maintained, they are clean and tidy. My husband and I enjoyed a lovely picnic inside the ruins, there are picnic benches dotted around in a manner that doesn't spoil the theme.

I enjoy cultural experiences, especially those associated with religious history so this was right up my street, on the other hand my husband has no particular interest but enjoyed it all the same. Although it is free, this attraction is something I would happily pay to see.

Kirkstall Abbey it ideal for couples and families, even if you don't have a particular interest in history I think you will be impressed with what you find. Outside the Abbey there is a lot of greenery and a lake. Across the road there is a lovely museum and a café. In the summer I can imagine it would be quite easy to spend a full day here. This place is ideal even for those on a budget.

I can't wait to return.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank DulceALA
Leeds, United Kingdom
“One of Leeds best kept secrets....”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Incredible architecture, easy reach from the city centre....pleasant parkland walk.
Worth going inside the building, how many cities have an 11th century Cistercian abbey in pretty good nick?!

Visited February 2013
Kirkby-in-Ashfield, United Kingdom
280 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 205 helpful votes
“History and riverside walk”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

One of the treasures of Leeds. The ruins are magical and full of history. The walk along the river and the open space is ideal any time of year.

Visited January 2013