“Worth a visit”
Review of Kirkstall Abbey

Kirkstall Abbey
Ranked #4 of 165 things to do in Leeds
More attraction details
Owner description: Uncover the history of one of the best preserved medieval Cistercian abbeys in Britain. With its beautiful and iconic ruins, award-winning Park and interactive visitor centre Kirkstall Abbey is a place that visitors of all ages can enjoy. The ruins are a unique example of early Christian architecture. From the majesty of the church to the peace of the cloisters enjoy exploring this iconic Leeds landmark. The story of the abbey and its community is explored in the Visitor Centre. Founded over 800 years ago in 1152 discover more about what life was like for the Cistercian monks who lived here for nearly 400 years. Enjoy the abbey's parkland setting next to the River Aire. Take a walk along the river or enjoy a picnic in our spacious grounds. There is also a small playground near to the car park for the little ones to enjoy. The ruins of the abbey provide a breath-taking background to your wedding photography, blessings, vow renewals and baby naming ceremonies.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We chose the Abbey as a place to have some professional family pictures taken and it is the perfect backdrop.
We really enjoyed exploring the Abbey lots of nooks to hide in and "I wonder where that staircase goes?" moments!
Combine it with a visit to the Abbey House Museum and Cafe across the road and you have a perfect day out.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

We visited this site on our trip to Leeds in the morning. Being interested in history, we enjoyed reading the signs with information about the abbey's use and how the monks used to live in the 13th century. Despite being over 800 years old, its still holds a sense of grandeur, and is definitely worth a visit.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

Loved the building with its high ceilings, arched windows and sense of history.
We went for a walk around the abbey first so were too late for lunch so made do with a coffee and a cake.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Steeped in history Kirkstall Abbey sets the scene for many events past and present. I genuine reminder of God and the way things have been and continue to be.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

I loved it, so historical and so friendly! I love ruins. I felt that I really had a connection with the place and the tourist ticket office helped me immensely with my booking difficulties.