“Chevin chase”

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Chevin chase”
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

Brilliant place for running, walking, cycling, picnic's n letting the dog run around. Views are great too.

Ellon, Scotland, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Memory walk”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Quick walk through the woods to show my wife who'd never seen where I grew up, just as lovely a spot as it used to be. Wandered to the troll's bridge and took lovely photos in the Autumn sun.

Visited October 2013
Leeds, United Kingdom
601 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 584 helpful votes
“Nice if you like walking”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Pulled into the car park to have a look after seeing the large sign from the road. IS THIS WHAT I ONCE KNEW AS DANEFIELD PARK? We used to come here a lot when the children were younger, there are plenty of paths to walk on and woodland to romp about in, great views over the valley from the bottom end of the park overlooking the Leeds Road. Although the park is very pleasant and well worth a visit if you have never been before, it is not for anyone with walking difficulties.

Visited September 2013
Otley, United Kingdom
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 97 helpful votes
“The best things in life are free”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I am very biased. I live in Otley, in the shadow of the Chevin. It is a great place for us urban walkers of all abilities. A previous review has complained it is really steep. Er, yes. It is a hill! It is a steep climb if you start from the town and go straight up, it is more manageable if you park in one of the three car parks located near the Ramblers tea rooms on East Chevin Road. You could just park near the Royalty Pub and take in the spectacular views from Surprise View. On one side you have the urban sprawl of Leeds and Bradford, and the chance for some plane spotting, on the other is the beauty of the start of the Yorkshire Dales.

There are some excellent info sheets available from the TIC located in Otley Library. I will agree with a previous review complaining about the noise of the road and air traffic, there is no denying that. But I guess that living under the flight path of LBA for 19 years has made me immune! I still love to walk in the woods tho.

The website is really useful. chevinforest.co.uk.

Visited September 2013
Barnsley, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Beautiful but a lot of walking.”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I'm relatively unfit and I went here on a trip with friends from University. Around half of the class made it right to the top and said the view was spectacular. Some made it half way but a few of us almost made it half way - it was really steep so very tiring if you are unfit. The higher you go the steeper and more difficult it gets. Parts near the top you have to scramble up (we went on a very muddy day) but up until the White House you can walk relatively comfortably.
The woods are relaxing to walk through, and we walked through the village too which was nice.

We drove up to the top after we walked back down so that we didn't miss out on the view and it was lovely - well worth the effort if you walk up.

There are strange sights to see as you walk up too - like a stone fence, wooden sculptures - some with money knocked into them, a round disc with distance to nearby landmarks upon it, a tree with christmas ornaments on it..

Parking has a charge but we parked in Otley and paid £2 for 2 hours I think.

Visited February 2013