“Hotel fine, absolutely awful service”
Review of Malmaison Hotel

Malmaison Hotel
Ranked #16 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed October 30, 2005

We stayed at this Malmaison for a friends birthday, we wanted something nice but of a guaranteed standard. The hotel was nice, the rooms were reasonably large and of a standard decoration level. However the service that came with them was appalling. One room was available when we arrived at 12.30 that were nice. The second room was not available at 4.10 when we asked and then the Duty manager then started to have an argument with me in the lobby.
I asked him if he thought that a room not being ready at 4.10pm was acceptable and he said they don't guarantee a room at 3pm they only aim to do so!! For £135 a night I told him I suggest he find me one and fast! As it turns out it was ready just the lack of communication in the hotel meant that noone knew or thought to tell us!!
The bar staff were awful in the afternoon, someone dropped a glass of wine, we had to clean it up ourselves with tea towels which then stayed on the bar for 10 mins before anyone then took them away!! This is frankly a health hazard let alone shoddy service for the £7 each glass of wine you would have thought they would have cleaned it up??!? I also found broken glass on the floor from where they obviously hadn't cleaned up the breakage before us!
We also for our sins decided to have breakfast in the hotel, again a complete farce. I did ask the people on the table next to us if they had seen Basil Fawlty at one point. We asked 7 TIMES if someone would take our order and then the waiter came and only took the order of 2 of the party, we were a table of 4!! So then we had to shout him back to come and take the remainder of the order. Went it came it was ok, nothing special and very very small for the price. The buffet was under stocked and the dirty tables in the restaurant were very off putting.
When we came to check out there were things on the bill we hadn't had and signed receipts from the people who were in the room before us!!
I must agree for this price I would NEVER stay here again, there are plenty of Hotels of this standard in Leeds and hopefully they aren't all as self important as this place! I would suggest that anyone who values good service go somewhere else!!

• Stayed: October 2005
5  Thank Looseal

Reviewed October 11, 2005

I booked at the very last minute to stay at malmaison for one night. They quoted me £130 and then tried to put it up, but agreed to honour the rate. As it was last minute I was only able to get a twin room instead of a double.

The room and hotel had a nice decor. The bathroom looked a little bit dated.

Staff were all very helpful and polite.

Room service was very good.

Toiletries were of a good quality.

Rooms have free internet (if you have a laptop with you) which was a bonus.

There is no parking at the hotel so you have to park at the Qpark over the road, but it is only £10 a day (approx).

The hotel is quite hard to find.

My only complaint: I noticed a small piece of broken glass in the corner of the bathroom.

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled on business