“Fab as ever”
Review of Malmaison Hotel

Malmaison Hotel
Ranked #16 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Another great stay at Malmaison Leeds. Always a warm welcome from a friendly team who go the extra mile to make your stay special. Comfy room with a fab shower. Food and drinks to die for. Sundays need to be longer to to do the brunch justice.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
AnnaGM225, General Manager at Malmaison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

I am so pleased you had a fantastic experience at Leeds Mal, the Sunday Brunch is one of my favourites too. Great to read you enjoyed our menus and I hope we can spoil you again when you return in the future and make some more great memories.

Reviewed March 20, 2014

I was looking forward to staying in the Mal after some pretty grim experiences in the Hilton nearby. When I arrived at the hotel the receptionist was very nice and all looked good (nicely decorated reception area and bar etc). The room was a bit of a shock however - the bed was wedged between two walls with the duvet and mattress mushrooming around the wall's edge. the only windows were tall and narrow and out of reach so the room felt like a dark cave. I did climb on the bed to have a peek out of the window to find a view straight into an office - so perhaps just as well the window was so small! Apparently this is a 'cosy double' - for me the lack of bedside table (for alarm) was an inconvenience and the closed-in feeling was oppressive.The bathroom featured some cobwebs around the extractor fan too and whilst I appreciate the Mal's efforts to reuse paper items in the room, water damaged cases for cotton buds etc looked tatty and detracted from what I expect is intended to be a luxurious feel. both of the complimentary toiletries bottles in the bathroom were sticky - as though they had been recently used. This was a shocker for what claims to be a luxury hotel. The bathroom floor could also have been a lot cleaner. The cosy double certainly doesn't feel luxurious.
I headed to the gym straight away after arriving at the hotel as I had a dinner with clients in the evening. The gym is fine - although the water fountain was in need of a good clean - blue staining in the bowl from a long period of dripping. Again - not much of a luxurious feel. The TV in the gym was off and there was no remote control - would have been nice to have had some background noise in the gym. The biggest irritation in the gym is the timed lighting. Whilst I'm sure this is intended to save energy (a good thing) it's really irritating to have to get off of the treadmill at 5 minute intervals to reactivate the lights.....
I didn't have a great sleep because I had to get out of bed every time I wanted to check the time.
It's a shame that this was such a bad experience because the staff in general were very nice and the breakfast in particular was much better than other hotels. A colleague of mine (who arrived after me) was given a complimentary upgrade to a deluxe double - which somewhat rubbed salt into the wound. Would think twice before coming back to this hotel. CHECK THE SPECIFICS OF YOUR ROOM!

Room Tip: Check the room specification and be prepared to move if you've been allocated to a cosy double...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

I am sorry we did not meet your expectations during your stay at Leeds, please feel free to contact me direct at the hotel if you wish to discuss your stay.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

Stayed for one night on a Saturday as part of a surprise 50th birthday party, booked 3 standard rooms which were ok apart from one not having any toiletries in the bathroom !! Party in the bar with drinks prices you needed a 2nd mortgage for and buffet with stale doorstep sandwiches and cold chips which had obviously cost a fortune per head. Breakfast was good eventually after getting our order wrong 3 times then running out of white bread for toast and kippers, am sorry but a hotel with this profile should not run out of white bread or kippers for that matter !!! We did complain about the breakfast and this was dealt with immediately by the duty manager who wiped the cost from our bill. Only positive was the bed was very comfy. Had received an email in the week prior offering us an upgrade for an extra cost which we agreed to but upon arrival told that no upgrades available...........got the impression that left hand didn't know what right hand doing !!! We have stayed in hotels around the world but would not recommend this one sorry.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank helen ramshaw
AnnaGM225, General Manager at Malmaison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Thank you for your review, I am sincerely sorry that you felt let down by your experience. I can assure you we review all feedback to ensure we improve. I am glad to hear the Manager on Duty did address the breakfast issues and that this was dealt with appropriately. The system for bedroom upgrades is a request basis only and I am sorry that on this occasion we could not offer a upgraded room type for you. Please do feel free to contact me directly at the hotel if you wish to discuss further.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

It had been years since I had been to Leeds and this was my first time in a Malmaison hotel, and I was very impressed with both the hotel and the city. The hotel check-in staff were very friendly and helpful and my standard room was very nice with everything I could have asked for, including a full bath and shower rather than just a shower cubicle. I think it was also the fastest filling bath in the world too. The in-room beverages are very much in your face to tempt you, i.e. crisps, chocolate, wine, beer etc but the charges are clear and up-front, so I resisted the temptation. Overall, no complaints with my room. I was on a DBB rate so was allowed £25 allowance from the a la carte menu and chose the Mal steak which was OK but cut much too thin for my liking. The main thing that I didn't like was having a 10% service charge added to the bill plus a space left for me to add an additional gratuity, thats a bit naughty in my book. I chose the Eggs Benedict for breakfast which was very good. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
AnnaGM225, General Manager at Malmaison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Thank you for your kind review and comments during your stay, I am pleased to hear how friendly and welcoming our staff are. We have just changed our mini bar selection and pleased you found these items tempting. I hope we can welcome you back very soon and you can enjoy another great breakfast.

Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night on a Saturday. Arrived at 12.00 and bonus we were able to check in to our room. We had a standard room which was a good size, very clean and very comfy bed. Only negative to the room was the furniture was a bit worn and could do with updating. Bathroom a good size too. Drinks in the bar lovely but expensive but no different than other city centre hotels. Breakfast really lovely. Overall a good stay and would recommend and stay again.

• Stayed: March 2014
AnnaGM225, General Manager at Malmaison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay, It is great to receive good feedback. I am pleased you enjoyed your drinks and your breakfast experience. Our Mal Breakfast is a real feast. I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon for another great stay.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Booked on a amazon coupon for a sat lunch, wow what a brill meal , a well cooked steak ,we'll presented well served by staff you can be proud of, your pineapple desert is to die for well done be back soon.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your positive review regarding our brasserie, I am really pleased you had an enjoyable evening and I hope we can welcome you again very soon. We have a very varied menu with some exceptional dishes, the Pineapple Carpaccio is one of my favorites also.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

Being fairly well travelled and a grumpy middle aged man, I like to think I know what makes a good hotel. Malmaison in Leeds almost makes a good hotel (sort of semi-boutique) but just misses the mark. As a weary traveller having a comfy bed is one of the two or three things that is really important another is a decent shower (and if I am travelling with my wife a detachable shower head).

So the greeting was nice - not super friendly but pleasant and upon entering my room thought it was nicely appointed, a bit small but that's the UK hotel rooms for you. I couldn't find the plug sockets for a bit which were hidden behind a rack on the desk. Bedroom and bathroom were not too worn. The re-used malmaison cardboard holder for the cotton wool in the bathroom (that was a bit tatty) made me smile. Also a shame that all the light switches were plastic. The air con in the room worked well. And the snacks were really nice.

So to the bed. As hard as lying on the floor. Guessing that all beds would be similar therefore I sent for an additional duvet to sleep on and this arrived instantly. Now the shower for me was excellent, not the normal trickle but a proper bit of power with a controllable temperature - nice. But no detachable shower head fortunately I was sans wife.

Gym was good for a small hotel. Free weights were a bit light but usable and the cv kit was good.

Breakfast was poorly managed and hit and miss. The staff were all young who seemed un-managed with no process. Tables left uncleared and the food at first pass was poor - with eggs that were dried and clearly cooked sometime earlier left under a heat lamp. After sending them back they were pretty good. The restaurant and bar area were lower ground so lacked light. The bar in the evening was buzzy but the service again was not sharp.

So all in all - this hotel could be excellent... But just the little things means it misses the mark. The service just needs sharpening and they need to pay attention to the little things, not hard to and this will come from the management.

Would I recommend - probably for a short weekend or business trip.

1  Thank Law135

Thank you for your constructive feedback I am sorry if we did not meet all your expectations, but can assure we do take action to any reviews we receive. Please do not hesitate to contact me direct at the hotel if you wish to discuss further. Likewise I am confident that if you did return we would ensure you had a great experience.