“great night away”

Ranked #15 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“great night away”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Went for 1 night as a quick break. Arrived early before room was ready, staff took our bag and when room was ready put it in room ready for when we came back later that afternoon. All staff from reception to restaurant and bar staff very pleasant and helpful. Had breakfast which was nice. Ideal location for shopping and train station, only 10 minutes walk from Leeds train station.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
london
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I stayed here recently for one night for a work trip. I was with colleagues and we had a nice dinner at the restaurant on the ground floor. My colleagues were heading out to an event but as I was feeling ill due to a bad cold I decided to go back to my room instead. The waiter who served our table saw that I was unwell and as I was leaving the restaurant offered to send up a pot of hot water and lemon and honey for my sore throat. It was a lovely gesture and the sort of touch that really makes a hotel and its staff stand out.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Horncastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We booked the hotel for our anniversary , it was in an excellent location a short walk away from the shopping area and also a short walk away from the night life which seems to centre around call lane. All the staff that we interacted with we're friendly and very helpful from the receptionist who took the time to leave her post in order to come outside and point me to the car park to the batman who have us the insiders top 10 places to see/eat/drink. We had a superior double which was spacious well furnished and had a lovely high ceiling which gave it an airy feel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Booked a one night dinner, bed and breakfast deal. The room was of a very good standard, although we thought ready for a face lift. Dinner menu from the deal had lots of choice, excellent standard and good service. Breakfast if paying is expensive, but as part of the deal very good with a good choice, again high standard. All in all good value for money on the deal, but if not, I would expect to pay 50% more overall, which wouldn't be worth it. Great location for the city centre and shops, parking is nearby and the hotel give a good discount.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stayed here overnight with my friend. Was really looking forward to staying at the hotel but I'm afraid it didn't live up to expectations. Average room in decor, size and furnishings and the biggest put off was hairs around the bath side!! We had a drink in the bar early evening which was quite expensive. However, reception staff were really chatty and welcoming. Pleased we tried it but probably wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank grantsleeds
London
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My stay at Malmaison in Leeds was good value – apart from breakfast which is over-priced and really not at all good for vegetarians (or for anyone who thinks breakfast might include a croissant even if you don't get there until say 8:30) – because it was midweek. I expected better of the hotel though. The room was nice enough but the decor is a bit dreary; it's certainly got little to recommend it in design terms (there are net curtains, for goodness sake).

The staff at the front desk were friendly and helpful, apart from booking me in to a room on the 4th floor before telling me the lifts were out of order. I wished afterwards I'd accepted the offer to swap to a room lower down, not because of the stairs they were fine and one lift was fixed later in the day, but because the room I had had rather high windows which I was too short to really get much of a view of the city from.

My room was a slightly odd shape (it was on a corner of the building and curved round) but nice enough. Having paid extra for a bigger room I suspect the standard rooms must be distinctly small and the cosy ones tiny; mine was big enough to have a small comfy chair but only one!

The bathroom was pretty good (the shower was over the bath but excellent nonetheless).

All in all, I had a perfectly pleasant stay but this is very much a bland chain hotel.

Once again, TripAdvisor is asking me to rate a non-existent swimming pool. No idea whether the hotel has a spa; certainly didn't notice one.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 4th floor only offer views to tall people. Other floors may be better.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Ann J
North Shields, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I have stayed in other Malmaison hotels in the past and had an amazing stay in all of them.
We were booking the room for an overnight stay to visit friends, and really looked forward to staying here.
The reception staff were extremely pleasant and helpful.
However on arrival at the room (billy basic room) we were disappointed at how small it was. there was barely room to walk around the edge of the bed to other side of the room. The bathroom was 'ok'. Hairs and old water stains all visible on the floor. Door and skirting boards were chipped in places. didn't feel very clean.

We ended up sitting down in the bar area hours before meeting our friends as we couldn't stand to sit in our pokey room.

This hotel wouldn't be my first choice staying in Leeds again however, If I were to stay here again I would choose one of the more deluxe rooms.

Might I say the service and food in the restaurant downstairs was brilliant.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple