“further adventures of room 409”
Review of Malmaison Hotel

Malmaison Hotel
Ranked #15 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Nha Trang, Vietnam
“further adventures of room 409”
Reviewed July 1, 2008

I was going to start this review with how difficult it was to find but as I parked up in Leeds to tell my partner I was lost I actually found I was outside the hotel. The car park is a bit further up the road but I was able to park outside the hotel unload my bags and check in before moving the car which was handy.

Location is fairly central and you get the benefit of views over the canal or even go for a stroll and watch the swans and cygnets.

Like the earlier contributor we also had room 409, which is very nice but down some dark and eerie corridors.

Lovely bath, excellent shower, could have done with a few more towels though.

Neither the internet nor the air conditioning worked, luckily the windows opened.

We didn’t eat or drink there so can't comment but there are plenty of places nearby to try.

• Liked — a shower you could stay in all day
  • Disliked — lack of wi-fi
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2008

Stayed here with a friend for just one night and thought it absolutely fine. I booked a superior room with twin beds and on entering found the room to be spacious and very light. It had a lovely high ceiling and two tall windows, of which one opened. The bathroom was small and had these insane little black and white tiles on the floor which made me a bit queasy the next day, (probably due to visiting too many bars....). The shower was powerful and I liked the fact that you could take the toiletries away with you, especially as they were pretty decent! The beds were comfortable and the pillows soft and fluffy, as you'd expect from the group that has the Hotel du Vin as it's sister hotels. The front desk staff were helpful and charming, quickly getting to us even though there was a throng of women "hens" clucking around. The bar was dark but we liked it and it seemed to be popular before we went out and when we got back around 2am! We didn't eat in the restaurant but it was busy which must say something.
It's an easy 7 minute walk to Harvey Nichols and the Victoria Quarter for shopping but also has a large number of bars within easy walking distance too.
All in all I would definitely stay here again.
If I could face going out in Leeds for a night again that is!!

• Liked — Lovely comfy beds
  • Disliked — the little black and white tiles on the floor in the bathroom
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 28, 2008

My husband and I stayed for one night. We only live 45 minutes away and just felt like getting away for 24 hours respite so we booked fairly last minute. We paid £129 for a superior room with breakfast which wasn't the bargain of the century but reasonable enough.

We arrived at lunchtime and the room wasn't ready which was understandable because check in is not till 3pm but we thought we'd try. We had lunch at the Thai opposite the car park which was delicious and headed up to the shops for a little browse. We returned to the Mal just after 3pm and the room still wasn't ready. The receptionist offered an alternative room (also superior) but she did say the room that had been allocated to us was more secluded, slightly bigger as it was in the corner and had river views so I could either wait for the nicer room or have a nice but not quite as nice room now.

We decided to have a drink in the bar and wait for the room. Reception was very helpful and took our bags and said they'd keep us informed. The bartender was also very helpful and put the driks on our room even though we hadn't checked in as yet. yes, drinks are pricey but to bexpected really. I had a cocktail made withfresh blackberries which was gorgeous and hubby had a beer. We were in the bar for about an hour and then one of the receptionists brought over our key and told us our bags were already there.

The room was definitely tucked away in a quiet corner. Room 409 if anyone is interested and it has lots of natural light and a huge bed. It was worth the price tag. I love making a mess in hotel rooms as I don't have to clean or tidy! So immediately I spread out my stuff and hubby and I had a wonderful few hours watching DVDs we'd brought.

Now I know some people think why bother doing stuff in a hotel room that you can do at home. Yet there is a feeling of decadence and self indulgence when in a hotel room. It was lovely to be able to luxuriate in a lovely bed with crisp linen and to indulge in a big bath which is what I did.

We went out in the evening to Bibi's. 9:30pm and it was still busy so the atmosphere was good fun and the food was nice. And then back to the Mal for more time cocooned in bed!

In the morning we used the fresh milk they delivered and the coffee they had was like one cup filter coffee - much nicer than Nescafé instant. We went to breakfast about 10am. Breakfast room was busy and the restaurant manager was a little gruff / stressed out. It was all fine. Nice continental selection. Juices were fresh and the croissants lovely. Cooked breakfast was delicious.

We then packed and checked out. Duirng our just under 24 hour stay, everything was efficient, professional and relaxed. Service was discreet yet friendly enough and we felt looked after but not overly so.

We'd definitely return to do a similar stay in room 409!

• Liked — Unobtrusive but caring service
  • Disliked — Had to pay for parking
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fondofgoodtravel
Reviewed May 4, 2008

Booked this hotel over the bank holiday weekend as a last resort. Was looking for somewhere a little more economical but as Leeds seemed to be full up I decided to splash out.

£130 room only for a single room seemed a lot but after reading the very convincing and luxurious sounding brochure on their website decided to give it a go.

The hotel is situated in a not very attractive part of the city but was very near the shops and rail station. Hotel is very nicely decorated with lots of wow factor features. Although, the corridors seem very dark and sometimes it was difficult to see your way around!

Whilst checking in I was informed by the receptionist that she would need to charge my card with a £50.00 deposit to cover any expenses I rack up over my stay. I said they they already have my card details and they could charge it to that if I disappeared without payment. She said that this was hotel policy and it would be refunded upon departure. I was not told this when I booked the room so be warned!

Had a room on 4th floor which was very small even for a single. Room had everything you need but some of the "frills" promised in their heavy marketing and "sexy" descriptions were lacking. The room was nice but average - nothing extra to your average hilton or ramada.

Room was also opposite the lift motor room - very noisy throughout the day and night. OK for one night but I would have moved if I was staying any longer.

Bathroom was tiny - hardly enough room to move about even for a short guy like me! To use the loo your knees were against the wall.

Ordered room service which was nice and prompt but no cutlery on the tray. Called down to ask for some but was not delivered for 15 mins. No apology offered.

In all the hotel was clean and comfortable but was disappointing compared to big marketing and build up in their brochures. Certainly not worth £130 per night room only. Will probably not stay there again if I have a choice.

• Liked — location to town
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank law2580
Herefordshire
Reviewed April 2, 2008

We arrived at the hotel after a hideous journey taking over two hours from Manchester and checked in. We rang down at 6.55pm to book a table and was told that I could have one at 7pm - I explained that we'd just got in..... and needed to have a quick shower and change and could be down in 15minutes. I was told that there was only a table at that time, I tried to persuade him 7.15 but no - 'I can't my screen is showing red'.

In the morning we went into the restaturant for breakfast and waited and waited.... finally we were asked if we would like to order and we said yes then we waited..... we gave up we told the front of house why he said that he had asked if we had been served yet. It may have been lost in translation but surely as we were on his patch he should have known wether we had ordered or not.

When checking out the very young receptionist asked if everything was ok I said no and explained what had happened - she said would I like the manager to ring me, I said not that day as I had a lot to get do but he had my details and could contact me.

The hotel was fine though very dark and blokey (I bet that the company's run by men) it was a bit frayed around the edges - grouting in the bathroom, paint etc, the reception staff were really young and sweet but lacking in any authority.

• Liked — the bed was a good size and the shower great
  • Disliked — it was a bit worn and very dark
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank markb08
Reading, England
Reviewed March 31, 2008

We stayed one night on the 'Wine and dine' program. This hotel, like most Malmaisons, is in a converted building which gives the opportunity for great style.

Our excellent corner room had tall ceilings, classy original decor and many nice touches - like free fresh milk delivered for early morning tea, free interenet, generous good quality bath products.

The included 3 course dinner was very good, though the glass of wine small & poor - and the wine list is pricey.

We would certainly take this deal again.

• Liked — Original style and spacious room
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gbgeebee
Manchester, UK
Reviewed March 27, 2008

Just fantastic. Lovely hotel, great room, very quiet. Very professional polite and friendly staff. Delicious food, great atmosphere in the bar. Amazing value £99 DBB for 2. Will definitely return.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple