“Mal is great - if you're not afraid of the dark”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Malmaison Hotel

Malmaison Hotel
Ranked #12 of 86 Hotels in Leeds
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Mal is great - if you're not afraid of the dark”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

Sure it's not the cheapest but it does what it says on the tin so a great place to go if you want to be sure of the outcome. Not only is this small chain full of individually quirky hotels, they get the details right. So, for example, the breakfast juice glasses are proper sized not the tiny medicinal type containers that contain four molecules or less that you get in many places. And the staff are usually totally in tune with your mood - well done team. But do not go here if you're afraid of the dark - lots of dark wood, deep paint colours and dark fabrics - cool to the point of shady!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OnehandEconomist

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

I was advised at 4pm on the day of my stay that the hotel had over booked and that I no longer had a room for the night. The reservations manager, Anya, had said they would assist me to find alternative accommodation but after offers of stays at hotels 30+ km outside of Leeds, the reservation staff went home for the evening leaving me with no place to stay for the night. Apparently there was an event in Leeds meaning that hotel rooms were very hard to come by. I was left staying at sub standard accommodation miles away from where I need to be for my business trip. The poor level of service is not something I would expect from a Malmaison hotel.
Needless to say, I will never book to stay at a Malmaison ever again.

Stayed March 2013
3 Thank kitty2005
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Hi ive only just joined trip adviser yet i use it always for advice!!!
So thought i would share my experiences of the places ive been and hopefully help fellow PICKY travellers out!

I'm a self confessed picky customer, i stayed here a couple of years ago now (trip advisor wouldn't let me add the date), and will give you an honest review....

This hotel was really lovely but we struggled a bit to find it saying that its really not far!
We had a package where we dined in the restaurant, which the food was great!

We had a lovely night in a lovely bed, very very comfy! The room was sumptuous and had a curtained wall all the way to the ceiling....our toilet was broken when we arrived but one call to the reception and it was fixed in no time!

We could have slept in there for days with the light cut out! It was memorable and very romantic and the bed linen was also very nice indeed.

We would definitely say give it a try and we will be back sometime for a romantic break- we also stayed in the Glasgow Malmaison but felt Leeds definitely had that something extra!

I've reviewed some other high end leeds hotels so feel free to take a look, this is one of our faves for romance and its more boutiquey feeling, we wouldn't hesitate in recommending to others.

Rebecca and Derek

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Milan, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

I've just come back from a 4-days stay at the Mal in Leeds and just couldn't keep myself from writing about it. The hotel is defined a boutique hotel and it truly is: everything is taken care of down to the finest detail.
Let's start with the impressive facade: what was formerly the bus company office is one of the cutest and more stylish hotels in the city. When you step inside you are greeted by the kind and professional reception staff and, in no more than a minute, you are heading to your room. I was booked into a standard double for single use on the 4th floor: the room was truly charming, spacious and cozy, with a big bed covered with soft pillows, a samsung tv set, an armchair, a workspace with high speed lan connection (even if the whole hotel has free wifi for your convenience) and a lovely black and white bathroom with special toiletries that you are encouraged to take with you when leaving :)
The food at the restaurant, too, is special: you can choose among a wide selection of dishes that will tantalize your taste buds... like the smoked salmon salad with a very tasty horseradish sauce, that I did enjoy. And, being Italian, I should know something about food ;)
The location of the hotel is very good and a short walking distance from everything: whether you are the shopaholic type or more culture-oriented, the the city centre is just around the corner.
Overall, I loved the "Mal experience" and the only reason why I'm not giving it full marks is that it hasn't got a SPA... a poor reason, I know, but that's worth mentioning.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Alice F
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

Had a night away from the kid here. The basic room was lush, would love to see what the suites are like. The bathroom decor was slightly rough around the edges. Great location, ideal by train or by car & a good base for nights out around Leeds. Would definitely visit again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

Stayed in a superior room which was a very spacious corner room. A little noisy as its on the main street however it was week night hence the noise wasn't excessive. I can imagine on a busy weekend that the noise would be a problem.
The room was nice and comfortable although I think the hotel could do with some minor touch ups to bring the place back to a high standard.
Room service food was prompt and tasty.
Front desk service was very good
Great breakfast and service in restaurant

Room Tip: Stay in a superior room for a little extra space
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

We stayed at Malmaison Leeds 1 night for Valentine weekend and thought that it was a more than decent place to stay when visiting Leeds. Although not our favourite (not sure if I am allowed to say the name but check my other review about a hotel in Leeds), it has become a definite possibility when staying in Leeds depending on the price at the time of booking.
The staff at reception are welcoming and efficient. There is free Wifi throughout the hotel. The decor of the hotel in general is quite trendy and elegant. The bar was quite a surprise as we never been in there before and it happens to be a very nice chilled out place to enjoy a cocktail. The barmen know their stuff in terms of cocktails and we will probably go back for a drink there in the future (prices around £8 to £10 sting a little but are about the same than at other similar places in Leeds). Don't get me wrong it is not a partying place but the relaxed and slightly posh atmosphere is a perfect combination for couples, small groups of friends who want a chat or even corporate people.

Although we didn't try the restaurant, our table at the bar was adjacent to the restaurant and gosh it smelt nice! We will definitely try the restaurant next time we eat out in Leeds. It was also very well decorated and candlelit style atmosphere.

I also decided to surprise my husband and got a romance package for £80. That included a bottle of champagne (not bad at all) served in your room with strawberries and melted chocolate, a cocktail each at the bar and breakfast in bed the next day. We were a bit disappointed at first as only the continental breakfast was available for room service so we decided to have our breakfast in the restaurant to have access to the cooked breakfast. But this was actually a good idea as the breakfast we were served was one of the best breakfasts I have had in all the hotels I've stayed at. The coffee AND decaf were proper grounded coffee and tasted great. The croissants and chocolatines were as good as what you would get in France (I know I'm French :-)). Even the jam and the honey were of good quality and not the cheap stuff that you get sometimes. The choice of cooked breakfast is very good and you can get much more if you're hungry from fresh fruits, porridge and cereals and even Nutella (I know it's for kids but it's yummy).

However I only gave 4 stars as we originally booked a superior room which was well decorated and had what you would expect from a superior room except we thought it was a tad on the small size for what you pay (I was lucky to get a cheaper advance rate at £99 but if I paid the normal price of £119 I would have been disappointed as you can get better elsewhere for the price). When I arrived in the room I noticed a smell, and for some bizarre reason the bathroom had a very strong smell of bleach as well. After a few minutes in the room my eyes started to sting which was uncomfortable. My husband thought the smell was paint and asked if they had another room. The manager came to our room and confirmed that the smell was paint as the room had been decorated a few days ago. She explained that she didn't have any other superior rooms available but that we were welcome to stay in a standard room instead. We went for it as even if the room was smaller I wanted to have a good night’s sleep. The change was done quickly but when a hotel gets it wrong you do expect to get at least the same type of room and not be downgraded... I'm hoping they will refund me the difference as I had already pre-paid the room... Our room was on the 2nd floor and there was a fair bit of road noise (cars + drunken people shouting in the street ealry morning). Choose a room on 3rd or 4th floor if you can. To finish the mattress was OK but not massively comfy as you can find in other hotels.

So all in all, Malmaison is a very nice place to stay in the city centre of Leeds. The bar and breakfast were the highlight of our stay but the rooms although very decent are nothing extraordinary.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on 3rd or 4th floor as quieter.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple