“Good hotel in Leeds - Fantastic Breakfast”
Review of Malmaison Hotel

Malmaison Hotel
Ranked #15 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Good hotel in Leeds - Fantastic Breakfast”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We stayed at Malmaison Leeds 1 night for Valentine weekend and thought that it was a more than decent place to stay when visiting Leeds. Although not our favourite (not sure if I am allowed to say the name but check my other review about a hotel in Leeds), it has become a definite possibility when staying in Leeds depending on the price at the time of booking.
The staff at reception are welcoming and efficient. There is free Wifi throughout the hotel. The decor of the hotel in general is quite trendy and elegant. The bar was quite a surprise as we never been in there before and it happens to be a very nice chilled out place to enjoy a cocktail. The barmen know their stuff in terms of cocktails and we will probably go back for a drink there in the future (prices around £8 to £10 sting a little but are about the same than at other similar places in Leeds). Don't get me wrong it is not a partying place but the relaxed and slightly posh atmosphere is a perfect combination for couples, small groups of friends who want a chat or even corporate people.

Although we didn't try the restaurant, our table at the bar was adjacent to the restaurant and gosh it smelt nice! We will definitely try the restaurant next time we eat out in Leeds. It was also very well decorated and candlelit style atmosphere.

I also decided to surprise my husband and got a romance package for £80. That included a bottle of champagne (not bad at all) served in your room with strawberries and melted chocolate, a cocktail each at the bar and breakfast in bed the next day. We were a bit disappointed at first as only the continental breakfast was available for room service so we decided to have our breakfast in the restaurant to have access to the cooked breakfast. But this was actually a good idea as the breakfast we were served was one of the best breakfasts I have had in all the hotels I've stayed at. The coffee AND decaf were proper grounded coffee and tasted great. The croissants and chocolatines were as good as what you would get in France (I know I'm French :-)). Even the jam and the honey were of good quality and not the cheap stuff that you get sometimes. The choice of cooked breakfast is very good and you can get much more if you're hungry from fresh fruits, porridge and cereals and even Nutella (I know it's for kids but it's yummy).

However I only gave 4 stars as we originally booked a superior room which was well decorated and had what you would expect from a superior room except we thought it was a tad on the small size for what you pay (I was lucky to get a cheaper advance rate at £99 but if I paid the normal price of £119 I would have been disappointed as you can get better elsewhere for the price). When I arrived in the room I noticed a smell, and for some bizarre reason the bathroom had a very strong smell of bleach as well. After a few minutes in the room my eyes started to sting which was uncomfortable. My husband thought the smell was paint and asked if they had another room. The manager came to our room and confirmed that the smell was paint as the room had been decorated a few days ago. She explained that she didn't have any other superior rooms available but that we were welcome to stay in a standard room instead. We went for it as even if the room was smaller I wanted to have a good night’s sleep. The change was done quickly but when a hotel gets it wrong you do expect to get at least the same type of room and not be downgraded... I'm hoping they will refund me the difference as I had already pre-paid the room... Our room was on the 2nd floor and there was a fair bit of road noise (cars + drunken people shouting in the street ealry morning). Choose a room on 3rd or 4th floor if you can. To finish the mattress was OK but not massively comfy as you can find in other hotels.

So all in all, Malmaison is a very nice place to stay in the city centre of Leeds. The bar and breakfast were the highlight of our stay but the rooms although very decent are nothing extraordinary.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on 3rd or 4th floor as quieter.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We're regulars at the Mal' in Leeds. Sometimes we stay on out own and n other occasions we have any number of our three girls with us. The beauty of the Mal' is they cater for us just as well whether it's just the two of us having a romantic break of five of us chilling at half-term.

We booked late and only stayed one night (Saturday) but they did us a good deal on "dinner, bed & breakfast" and sorted adjoining rooms without any hassle. On arrival everything was as we expected; rooms set-up with an extra bed and dinner reservations sorted.

The hotel in general, rooms, restaurant, etc., are all in good condition and the staff are always incredibly friendly and keen to help.

Dinner was excellent - I recommend the Mal grill if you're a fan of steak and Lobster and the Peanut and Chocolate desert was to die for. Breakfast was also up to its usual high standards.

An excellent stay and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
York,
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend booked us a night at the malmaison for valentines. I was very happy with the service- staff were very helpful. The hotel was clean and I loved the quirky notes around the hotel room. Location is a few minutes walk from the town centre so really was ideal!

• Stayed February 2013
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Perfect weekend in Leeds with a great stay at the Mal. Was able to check in at noon as room was ready which was a real bonus and the reception staff were more than friendly and helpful.... Felt really welcome. Room was fine with everything you expect from a malmaison and the coffee was very nice. Little bit of outside noise but it's a city centre hotel so to be expected. Good location for exploring the shops and nightlife of Leeds.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sheffield
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We have just returned from a 2 night stay here.
Check in was really quick and efficient although the Staff were slightly confused over the booking.com deals that were offering breakfast with the rate, I did hear numerous guests having to point this out .
The room was stylish but the TV too small and the bathroom we found was slightly dated and a bit more attention could have been applied to cleaning it. But overall really nice , bed was really comfy , all the usual toiletries, tea coffee etc that were a good quality.
The Bar area is great , with fab staff and a nice atmosphere.
We had a great nights sleep with absolutely no noise at all .
Breakfast here is really overrated and I'm so glad we didn't have to pay the £14.00 per person as it is not worth it. We both had the full English on the first morning and it was really dry and unappealing . On the 2nd morning the Staff were seriously harassed for some reason and breakfast was a disaster,.
We were seated in the Bar area as the dining room was busy and we were basically forgotten , hot drinks were brought to us with no milk or sugar which when we asked took another 5 mins to come , when the food did arrive it was substandard , I had boiled eggs and my Husband had omelette which was disgusting .
We had to ask for the usual salt etc as none was on the table , this was all accompanied with load shrieking and screaming emitting from the Kitchen by the young Staff , it was really unprofessional and Management need to address this , as when you are paying these prices this isn't acceptable for this Hotel .
But in all honesty this is the only gripe , we would stay again but would opt for a rate without breakfast and try somewhere else for this .
Upon check out , again confusing listening to other guests as to what they had been charged for etc, with discounts and vouchers etc .
If you go , we recommend the Palm Sugar cocktail bar in nearby Chaophraya for drinks , we didn't eat there as it was fully booked but drinks were great and the food looked amazing .

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Relaxed, friendly vibe. Unique comfortable room if somewhat a little small for a standard. Great tone of voice on all customer communications.
Convenient for Leeds city centre yet quiet. Great relaxed brasserie/bar
Would most definitely stay again. Usually able to get a good rate via the mal's own website rather than places like last minute.com

• Stayed February 2013
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Stayed for just one night but it was very nice. The staff are friendly and the rooms well appointed. We ate in the restaurant which was relaxing and the quality of food was good. Overall a good Pitt stop.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business