“Why can't recommend the malmaison”
Review of Malmaison Hotel

Malmaison Hotel
Ranked #16 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed March 6, 2008

We’re trying to think of something positive to say about this hotel, so let’s start with the staff who are friendly and helpful, and the room service breakfast is well-presented in a special hamper with a generous selection of items. The water in the bathroom was always hot. Now for the rest…!

Sorry, based on our experience, we can’t recommend this hotel. Our room was small and not particularly exciting- we‘ve been in larger and just as well appointed in Premier Lodges and similar places and usually at less than half the price of the Malmaison. The mattresses were like concrete. We know they say they’re good and firm, but ours were also knobbly! We asked that the housekeeper check them out.

This is really just a hotel for people on business. There’s no lounge as such, just seating in the bar with rather loud background (foreground?) music. The restaurant is an extension of the bar - a bit like a gastropub. While in the bar, we ordered one glass of chablis. Be warned: it costs over £8 per glass!

And to add insult to injury, we were presented with an inflated bill at checkout. When challenged, an error was spotted and corrected.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GulliverM
Write a ReviewReviews (1,462)

Reviewed February 24, 2008

We stayed here on a Saturday night in February. Paid £99 for a standard room not including breakfast. Hotel was very modern, decorated in dark colours. Check in was efficient and the staff were really friendly. The room was a decent size with a plasma TV, DVD player, floor to ceiling windows with remote control curtains. They provided toiletries and magazines. The bed was comfy with a firm mattress.

The only downside was that the bathroom floor hadn't been cleaned very well. Also although the floor to ceiling windows look great there is only one tiny part of the window that can be opened, not good if you get claustrophobic.

Check out was good. The hotel doesn't have its own car-park. You can park on a multi storey about 150 yards away and the hotel will provide you with a discount when you check out.

Didn't eat or drink in the hotel.

All in all we would defintely return if the rate was decent enough.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank MistySkye
Reviewed February 20, 2008

Stayed for two nights at a heavily reduced rate through the Malmaison website. Was a birthday shopping trip with my girlfriend. We're both students and were a bit apprehensive about spending so much but we were so impressed we're about to book again with the sister chain Hotel Du Vin- this time off to Harrogate.

Malmaison wins on their attention to detail and old fashioned great service. Although we had the most basic room the mini-bar was overflowing with goodies and the room full of quirky little details. Despite Malmaison being at the high end of the market they aren't at all stuck up- this makes a hotel for me.

Ordered room service which was absolutely first class, I've stayed at too many large chains of hotel all over the place and experienced rip off room service. The food arrived piping hot and was honestly the best I've had.

Stayed: November 2007
1  Thank Wills9055
Reviewed February 12, 2008

Stayed here for a Saturday night in January. I have stayed once before in 2006. I think this is a realy nice luxurious hotel. We checked in at 12pm and a room was ready for us which was nice. The guy at check in was great very friendly and helpful. We were pleased with our room, ok it was not a huge room but we found it fine enough. The bathroom was also nice. There are good facilities in the room and you are encouraged to take the toiletries with you which are fab! There is also a good range of tea, coffee hot chocolate all complementary. The one thing about this hotel is the prices tho, we did not pay for this room it was a treat given to us, but would not have stayed there if we had been paying, its v expensive plus we had a round of drinks in the bar, £15 for a not so large wine and a beer! Another thing that was poor value was the breakfast it was £13 each and you get a cooked breakfast brought to you, while this was ok for me my husband was still hungry and did not rate it. It is good quality food ie good sausage and bacon but just not much of it! Plus on the day we were there the continental choice was poor..
Malmaison is a very swanky chain of hotels, and having stayed 3 times at them now I have enjoyed each one but with not having paid for them I think my opinion is slighty tainted!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2008

Stayed for a Saturday night while celebrating my partner's birthday and got a great deal on the hotel's website for £79. This makes the hotel a good choice for enjoying everything Leeds has to offer.

The hotel is very hip and chic which may not suit all tastes. However we love the hotel and have stayed several times since it opened. The quality has been maintained and it is still a fun place to stay.

The rooms are decorated in dark colours but have massive windows so they are always light. There was plenty of space in the room yet it was still cosy. The shower was great, there were plenty of big fluffy towels and the toiletries were excellent. My only complaint would be that the bed was too hard - after mentioning this in passing while checking out I was told that if I'd asked, housekeeping would have added extra mattress toppers! I have always found the staff to be friendly and helpful.

The hotel is very convenient for Leeds' restaurants and nightlife. We ate at Bibi's nearby which is possibly the most overrated place I have ever been - don't bother going! The hotel bar looked busy each time I passed but we didn't use it on this occasion.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Malmaison and will no doubt stay again in the future.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NorthernSoutherner
Reviewed January 4, 2008

I would normally screech "How much???" when I see how much the room rate is at any of the Malmaison hotels but I must have got a lucky break when I took advantage of a deal on the website - £89 for one night. This was definitely worth it, the style and luxury of the whole hotel, and our room (which was just a regular) was amazing.

We went out for dinner and then came back to the hotel for drinks in the bar - expensive, but hey, I wasn't paying! A hotel bar is a big plus in our eyes! My boyfriend also borrowed the available dvds from reception whilst I was getting ready, this was a good idea.

All in all, I really enjoyed my stay and would love to stay again, if the price was right!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank joyjoy5
Reviewed January 3, 2008

This hotel is a superior city centre venue. We stayed as a family for a leisure break and we thoroughly enjoyed it, but I would very happily return on business. Free fast broadband for starters. The staff are very helpful and cheerful and the low level prominence of the security on the the door in the evening was most reassuring. To guests they must be the most welcoming "bouncers" I have ever come across! Breakfast of a very high standard. Yes I would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank dmhLondon