“A big hug of a hotel”

Ranked #13 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Sydney, Australia
“A big hug of a hotel”
Reviewed June 3, 2012 via mobile

We were back in Leeds from Oz visiting family. I always love staying at Malmaison - the victorian cool and friendly service reminds me of home. Comfy rooms and comfy beds - we had a view of the canal this time which I'll wold request in the future. Lovely hotel and helps us over the jet lag in no time.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 3, 2012

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at the Malmaison in Leeds on a Friday night, last month, just as a little break.

We got a brilliant price for the hotel off the Malmaison website itself, we paid £99 for the one nights stay in a standard double bedroom, two course meal for both of us and a bottle of wine. At first this seems like an excellent price... too good to be true, that's why.

We arrived at the hotel after work on Friday night, there is a NCP car park about 2 minutes away from the hotel so parking wasn't an issue, which is a relief in city centres (You do get a discount card from reception for the parking, but it still costs about £10 for 24 hours so make sure you have enough cash left).

The reception staff where pleasant, and our room was nice, slightly average, smaller than previous hotel rooms, and the décor wasn't as 'lavish' as expected from the hotels usual standard. (We recently stayed at the Malmaison in Newcastle, and we both agreed that hotel is ALOT nice, the location, the rooms, the quality of the accommodation and the staff seemed lacking in Leeds compared to the Tyne one.)

We had already booked our time for dinner, we came down to the bistro, and where given a set menu, as we had booked the package. We where then informed if there was nothing on there to our liking we could order of the main menu and had up to £31.50 for the two of us... well that cant really buy you much. We ended up ordering two Mal burgers off the main menu, and they where gorgeous, definitely a wise choice. Also the 'bottle of wine' included in the package was actually £10 towards a bottle of wine... these all started at £21 and upwards so again the £10 wasn't really much use, so I had a cocktail instead, which again was lovely, but not what I was expecting from the deal we had purchased. The staff in restaurant where quite pushy, offering water, then bread, then extra chips / onion rings / salad with the meal, then desserts, making you feel more uncomfortable every time we kept saying no (why would you want extra chips or bread to go with your burger and chips...). We both agreed, and from watching other diners it seemed those eating off the set menu ' the cheap one' where being treat slightly differently to those dining off the a la carte.

Overall, the hotel was pleasant and we enjoyed our stay there... but if you are going dont book the offer including dinner, just go along on the night and pay the extra or go elsewhere as its not really that benficial. Personally we both agreed that next time we'll just return to the hotel in Newcastle, which was more expensive but seemed to be in a totally different class.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for a executive rooms - the extra space you get it definitely worth it.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 30, 2012 via mobile

My company uses this place a lot, have stayed regularly and really like it. Great central location, boutique feel, lovely rooms, staff friendly and efficient. Free wi-fi, always a great benefit in my book. Restaurant is very good, breakfast excellent. Highly recommended. Couple of niggles: 1. piped music is too loud and night-clubby. Not in keeping with rest of hotel and quite annoying in public areas. 2. One piece of soap in bathrooms is a bit stingy, constantly having to transfer it from shower to sink (minor niggle, I'll grant you...). Parking in multi-storey very nearby is very secure and hotel gives you a discount card.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Olney, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2012

This hotel was brilliant, the staff were fantastic and the decor and rooms were lovely. It was our wedding anniversary on the Thursday of our stay and the hotel sent us a card and some chocolates which I thought was an incredibly sweet and thoughtful gesture.

We had a superior dexule, I think it was called, the room above the standard room and it was lovely, very spacious, with a fantastic bathroom, the shower was so powerful, just like I want. It was very clean and well maintained. The bed was Huge and comfy, the only downside to this room was that it over looked some of the late night bars. So when they came out and 2/3am you can hear them, I aman incredibly light sleeper so it woke me up but my husband didn't notice a thing so we did not feel the need to complain or move rooms, just a warning though if you think you would be upset ask to go to the opposite end of the hotel, as nothing should ruin the experience of this hotel. We were in 227 which If that helps.

The staff on reception, particularly the girl that checked me in was lovely, especially as I held her up by waiting for my husband to return from the car park with wallets. She was really engaging and happy to chat. Simile the you g man that served us a few night caps on the night of wedding anniversary, was equally charming and helpful.

My husband and I both agree when we go back to Leeds we will only be staying in one hotel and it will bethis one.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We stayed overnight with work at the Malmaison Leeds in may 2012.

Location - Perfect for a visiting Leeds, 2 mins from the station, close to some good places to eat and drink... smashing

Room - Fantastic! Probably one of the best nights sleep ever. Air con was brilliant, bed was huge and comfy, all the amenities one would expect, and really tastefully decorated (just what you would expect from a Mal to be honest)
Food/drink - breakfast was fantastic, a real treat. All kinds of fruits, cereals, juice ect... the bar however is potentially a little over priced even for a fab city like Leeds.

Service - all the staff were great, friendly and helpful.

We would defo return...

Room Tip: The standard doubles are superb... don't feel like you need to book a superior double to feel sp...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Birmingham
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Really lovely hotel - nice size rooms - we had a corner room which has floor to ceiling windows overlooking the wharf which was great.

We went away for our wedding anniversary and when we got to the room we had a hand written card and some mini chocs which was a really nice personal touch Duvet and bed was really comfortable and the shower and bath were great and filled up really quickly!

We dined in the Brasserie twice whilst we were there as we took advantage of a late checkout on Sunday by having a Sunday roast dinner there and I cannot fault the food - it was delicious. Service throughout was great.

My only comment was that our key cards stopped working twice during out stay and that was possibly because we were staying on different packages on the two nights and then had a late check out. It was a little inconvenient and something which should be easy to rectify - similarly the booking process is complicated if you want to take advantage of different packages - I had to ring up to make sure we didn't have to change rooms between nights because the website doesn't allow it!

Room Tip: Corner room was very spacious!
mirfield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 14, 2012

me and a friend stayed at the mal in leeds a couple of weekends ago. I was really impressed with the room and the hotel overall, the room was clean, a great size and the bed was very comfortable, but the thing i was most impressed with was the bath!! absolutley massive and ran in a matter of seconds!
the mal is also in an excellent location right in the centre of leeds, the breakfast was lovely and the staff were so friendly.
I will always stay at the malmaison now!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends