“Good price & clean but v.small rooms & far out...”

Corn Mill Lodge Hotel
Ranked #47 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed June 25, 2013

My partner and I stayed here during Feb with the intention of going to our favourite restaurant in the centre of Leeds.

On the drive up to the hotel, we thought we had come to the wrong place as its almost on a housing estate - however the hotel was there and did have free parking!

The hotel was reasonably priced at £55 for a Saturday night stay. The place is simple but friendly and clean but the room was incredibily small and cosy (if you don't like small confined places this hotel is not for you) and although it could just about fit a double bed and a set of drawers in the ceilings are also very low.

A taxi into the centre of Leeds cost us over £20.00 each way, so what we saved in a cheaper hotel and parking we lost in the taxi fair.

Don't know what the Breakfast is like as we didn't attend for Breakfast.

In summary - Great hotel for value, if your not too picky about where to stay and don't mind driving etc but for us we will next time spend more and stay in the city.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MAB186336
CornmillLodge, Owner at Corn Mill Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

I don't really understand this review. Firstly the Taxi fare in to Leeds centre by our recommended company (free phone in reception) is only £8. Buses every 10 minutes from just outside the hotel which takes approx 15/20 minutes.

Room prices are £48.95 for a compact double and £55.95 for a large double or standard double as we call them, they are 20sq ft though so i wouldn't call that small. These prices include free breakfast on a weekend.

Thanks for this review.

Gordon Jowett M.D

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed here for three nights, large comfortable room, free car parking and friendly helpful staff. The breakfast was hot and plentiful, but the same every day with the exception of how your eggs were cooked. The place, like myself is showing it's age and could do with a spruce up, but all in all value for money.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Blakey48

You are right about the breakfast, it is the same each day but with the choices offered ie. 8 hot dishes and a full contentinetal breakfast as well including fresh fruit i don't think we need to offer daily changes. Thank you for your review.

G. Jowett M.D

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Cornhill hotel   Stayed there for one might in june as i was in leeds for my daughter's final year show at the uni.  I needed a simple stop-ever for the night before driving home the next day.   Sometimes i have to remember what i am paying for my stay.  The Cornhill was, after complimentary breakfast and free car parking, cheaper then the usual budget hotels in Leeds.   The corn hill,is a quiet Hotel just outside city.  It took about 10 mins to drive out from the centre.  A friendly reception and a clean comfortable room.  I particularly like the hot chocolate added to the usual coffee and tea.  Always a good sign.   The room was clean and simple but the sloping roof in the top floor rooms might be difficult if you are tall.  The shower was over the bath which i always dislike because the shower curtain seems to want to hug me!  The wifi didn't work at all in my room.  To be fair there was a warning it might not.  However it barely worked in the bar next to reception either.   The bar was quiet which is good for checking emails but it rather lacked atmosphere.  It was also still fairly poor wifi.  I managed to download emails but with no web access for surfing. But, hey a good nights sleep, a good breakfast and plenty of car parking space. Thank you ...

Room Tip: Don't choose the top floor if you use wifi
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Phoenix56
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I am a gas engineer and stayed here a few times. Lovely comfy rooms. Ace breakfast. One of th cleaners comes in on a morning to offer extra service. Just what a male needs before a days work. Excellent staff but the baldy in the reception needs smiling pills

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank richard9999_12
CornmillLodge, Owner at Corn Mill Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Having read this reviewers other reviews which are in the main of a sexual nature I can not take this person seriously.

I feel that Tripadvisor should barr this odd person from making future reviews.

G. Jowett M.D

Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed for one night prior to flying from Leeds/Bradford Airport. Having paid only £55 I expected very little and was very pleasantly surprised. The service was efficient and friendly, the room was large and clean and the restaurant was great for both dinner and breakfast. Definitely the best hotel for the price I've stayed-in for ages. Would certainly use it again if needing to stay in the area. Oh, and in response to the particularly verbose recent reviewer, our room was warm!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for this review and hope you had a pleasurable holiday if that is what it was when flying from Leeds and Bradford. I appreciate your kind comments and your final line did bring a smile to my face. Hope to see you again soon on your next visit to Leeds.

Gordon

Reviewed June 14, 2013

The approach to the hotel looked promising and having read a number of reviews thought I would give it a go despite some defensive responses from the hotel to previous reviewers.
Inside can only be described as lacking soul. Old fashioned furniture and carpets, grubby edges a military line of spare chairs lined up against the wall.
The approach to the rooms was depressing, bedding was covered with cheap cushions and throw. The bathroom was basic and ready for a good scrub (soap residue does build up on the shower doors and tiles!). A plan to try the restaurant was changed when looking at the menu which was sticky and marked as well as empty.
Pleasant receptionist, poor environment.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank suzanne_h61

My response to Suzanne of Chester is that I see suzanne often stays in different hotels in Leeds. I wonder why as she is a regular visit she has not found a hotel she would reguarly return to or visit, she seems to gets a kick out of becoming a self appointed hotel inspector.

Now, lets address the reviewers comments:

1. The chairs in the function room corridor are there for a reason and guests use them awaiting their friends to arrive rather than remain standing.
2. Sticky and empty menu's - i just can't find but I would say she missed a treat not eating in our restaurant where we regularly seat up to 80 satisfied diners.
3. The bedroom carpets are only a few years old and are a warm red in colour and a axminster wool carpet. The carpets are still in perfect in condition.
4. Bedroom furniture is of a modern style made in light coloured wood and consists of wardrobe, dressing table, stool and chair, I would add at this point we give complimentary tea,coffee,chocolate drinks and biscuits in every bedroom.

We are told by the majoirty of guests that they have enjoyed a comfortable stay with us.

5. The rooms with shower units are our budget rooms but still very acceptable these work out at £24.50 per person Bed and breakfast on a weekend when 2 people are sharing (amazing value).
6. I took it upon myself to visit 6 rooms at random, 3 of which had shower units in, I would have been happy to use any of these bathrooms, looking very closely at some of the bathroom shower doors a bit of extra time spent with the housekeeping department would not come a miss.

We are not the ritz but we are a clean modern 3* hotel a new build 15years ago offering a friendly and comfortable stay with added value for money.

My responses are not defensive but factual.

G Jowett M.D

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed here on a Saturday in May.
Arrived early and my room was ready, so that was great as we where off to York Races.
The room, was as described, but modern with lovely beds.
The breakfast was plentiful and really nice.
Staff all smiled and said hello, which is more than you get in some places.
Over all a great place to stay on the outskirts and we will be back !

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GAZEFC1
CornmillLodge, Owner at Corn Mill Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2013

Thank you for this review. Hope you didnt lose your shirt or even house at the races.

Gordon Jowett