“Really good stay for the price”

Corn Mill Lodge Hotel
Ranked #44 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Really good stay for the price”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed for one night prior to flying from Leeds/Bradford Airport. Having paid only £55 I expected very little and was very pleasantly surprised. The service was efficient and friendly, the room was large and clean and the restaurant was great for both dinner and breakfast. Definitely the best hotel for the price I've stayed-in for ages. Would certainly use it again if needing to stay in the area. Oh, and in response to the particularly verbose recent reviewer, our room was warm!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
CornmillLodge, Owner at Corn Mill Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for this review and hope you had a pleasurable holiday if that is what it was when flying from Leeds and Bradford. I appreciate your kind comments and your final line did bring a smile to my face. Hope to see you again soon on your next visit to Leeds.

Gordon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2013

The approach to the hotel looked promising and having read a number of reviews thought I would give it a go despite some defensive responses from the hotel to previous reviewers.
Inside can only be described as lacking soul. Old fashioned furniture and carpets, grubby edges a military line of spare chairs lined up against the wall.
The approach to the rooms was depressing, bedding was covered with cheap cushions and throw. The bathroom was basic and ready for a good scrub (soap residue does build up on the shower doors and tiles!). A plan to try the restaurant was changed when looking at the menu which was sticky and marked as well as empty.
Pleasant receptionist, poor environment.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank suzanne_h61
My response to Suzanne of Chester is that I see suzanne often stays in different hotels in Leeds. I wonder why as she is a regular visit she has not found a hotel she would reguarly return to or visit, she seems to gets a kick out of becoming a self appointed hotel inspector.

Now, lets address the reviewers comments:

1. The chairs in the function room corridor are there for a reason and guests use them awaiting their friends to arrive rather than remain standing.
2. Sticky and empty menu's - i just can't find but I would say she missed a treat not eating in our restaurant where we regularly seat up to 80 satisfied diners.
3. The bedroom carpets are only a few years old and are a warm red in colour and a axminster wool carpet. The carpets are still in perfect in condition.
4. Bedroom furniture is of a modern style made in light coloured wood and consists of wardrobe, dressing table, stool and chair, I would add at this point we give complimentary tea,coffee,chocolate drinks and biscuits in every bedroom.

We are told by the majoirty of guests that they have enjoyed a comfortable stay with us.

5. The rooms with shower units are our budget rooms but still very acceptable these work out at £24.50 per person Bed and breakfast on a weekend when 2 people are sharing (amazing value).
6. I took it upon myself to visit 6 rooms at random, 3 of which had shower units in, I would have been happy to use any of these bathrooms, looking very closely at some of the bathroom shower doors a bit of extra time spent with the housekeeping department would not come a miss.

We are not the ritz but we are a clean modern 3* hotel a new build 15years ago offering a friendly and comfortable stay with added value for money.

My responses are not defensive but factual.

G Jowett M.D
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed here on a Saturday in May.
Arrived early and my room was ready, so that was great as we where off to York Races.
The room, was as described, but modern with lovely beds.
The breakfast was plentiful and really nice.
Staff all smiled and said hello, which is more than you get in some places.
Over all a great place to stay on the outskirts and we will be back !

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GAZEFC1
CornmillLodge, Owner at Corn Mill Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Thank you for this review. Hope you didnt lose your shirt or even house at the races.

Gordon Jowett
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Coach holiday staying 4 nights. I was very pleased my single room was a good size considering it as in the attic. I missed having a window to look out - the sky light was sort of ok once I ajusted, but still a bit stuffy - I found opening the skylight window a bit awkward. All the staff very friendly and efficent. Restaurant was run very efficently, and the food really good!
I missed not being able to go out for a stroll after dinner because of the location. I guess to be honest that was the down side for me. There was nothing much to do during the evening.. So for me - as nice as it was I wouldn't be happy being there on a coach holiday again

Room Tip: Good Hotel for short/overnight stay
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
We do have a reservoir only 5 minutes walk away, it takes about 25minutes to walk around the reservoir with lots of birds and wildlife - maybe we should tell advertise this a little more.

Thanks

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

Trip Advisor is a wonderful site. Allowing people to write their honest reviews permits others to make a truly informed view about whether or not they should stay at that particular hotel. I recently did this. As a result I chose to book my dad into this hotel - the reviews suggested it would be okay though I noted that the rooms could be cold. As a result I made a special trip to visit the hotel in advance (and in person) to enquire whether it would be possible to ensure that the room could be warm on my dad's arrival (he's been seriously unwell recently and has a severely compromised immune system as a result). I posted a review in which I expressed 'disappointment' after the visit because the room had been cold. Now, everyone makes mistakes. I accept that. When I made my initial review I expected that the hotel's response would be along the lines of, "sorry, communication problem somewhere. We always strive to do our best etc". This would have been the expected response to a review that was honest and certainly not egregious nor vicious. I had no agenda - it was just an honest appraisal of how things were from my perspective. However, the hotel chose the more dangerous path. Rather than quickly putting the matter to bed with a 'we'll try harder' type response, the manager (Gordon, can I call you Gordon? Only I note you only use your forename when responding to positive reviews. I feel we are having a good chat now though, so I'll risk a little familiarity), Gordon, chose the riskier step that involves a response that makes the customer out to be a little needy or half witted, that way people might take the review with a pinch of salt. I have withdrawn that review and now submit a version which, in light of the response, more accurately reflects my overall experience. So let's try again. I am not Mariah Carey. I did not ask for the walls repainted or that the bath be run for me by nymphs. I simply made a personal request that the room be warm in advance of my day's arrival (because other reviews had pointed out that it could be cold) and when this wasn't the case I expressed disappointment - not outrage or astonishment, not a request for a refund or questions in Parliament, just disappointment. Does that sound reasonable? Gordon responded (in print) with the knowledge that the heating was turned right down as part of their 'green' policy. It was turned 'down to 2' (I'm guessing that in Spinal Tap's room it went lower than this but that's another story). And do you know what, I respect that. It's good to know that some places put their social conscience before what might otherwise be perceived as cost cutting. But, Gordon, why didn't you tell me when I made my visit in advance that the room, to quote you, "would be cool to say the least"? Surely, if a request is made for a room to be warm and you are not going to honour that because your environmental concerns are eating away at your conscience you could simply have told me. Anyway, that aside, you chose to question why my dad didn't complain. Well, he didn't know that I had been there in advance to ensure it would be comfortable. He only discovered that later the same day when I took him out. I asked about the room and he said it was cold. Well, you can imagine I was a little 'disappointed'. You further questioned why he had neither bothered to 'trail down' from the first floor or used the phone to tell you. Well, despite your implication of ineptitude Gordon, he was able to work the heating for himself - he didn't need assistance. My problem was not that the room remained cold throughout the stay, but that it was, by your own admission, "cool to say the least" on arrival despite our earlier conversation. You will be pleased though, to note that he shares your social conscience and turned the heating back down on leaving, in contrast to your implication that he had sat in the cold room, unwilling to allow you the opportunity to put it right.
This is a trivial issue in the grand scheme of things but, Gordon, I really didn't expect you to react to an honest review so brusquely and without a hint of apology for what I accept was a small error, but, nevertheless, an error. However, after reading your response I looked at your other replies to customers who had given less than glowing reviews. Guess what, like me, they were all to blame for their own problems too! I think that a hotel's response to reviews speaks volumes - as much as the reviews themselves. Ultra defensive responses that seek to deflect blame anywhere provided it is not the hotel gives a very loud and clear message about customer service skills. Yes, Gordon, you can no doubt point to many positive reviews. Indeed, my own review said the hotel itself was fine. The true test though is how you handle or respond to problems. I would urge those thinking of staying here not to just read the positive reviews - the hotel is fine - but check out Gordon's responses to criticism. He doesn't like it at all. By all means stay here, just make sure you don't have a problem.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Nick T
CornmillLodge, Owner at Corn Mill Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
As stated this is the second review on this matter. As the reviewer lives locally i would have thought the best way would be for him to call at the hotel and discuss face to face the problems he feels were there. But as he has decided to go public the only way i can respond is in this way.

If you are not worn out after reading this marathon review of approximately 850 words I will restate most of what i said in my first response.

Point Number 1 - The heater in the room was set at number 2 which is back ground heat, it does go to number 4 for full heat.

The heater takes about 15 - 20 minutes to reach full heat. I personally visited on the guests departure and the control had not been touched in other words still on number 2 and i could tell by the coolness of the room it had not been operated on a higher heat setting that morning.

Point Number 2 - I did not use the term ( bother to trail down) those are not my words but i did point out there is telephones in all rooms on which you can contact reception to discuss any problems.

Point Number 3 - We DO get glowing reviews on trip advisor and are currently rated at 23 out of 100 of the Leeds Hotels and we also display a certificate of excellence given to us by trip advisor.

Point Number 4 - The reviewer states it was only a small error in his review but goes on for 78 lines, Glad he didn't think it was a major problem.

Point Number 5 - We do no cost cut but try to avoid waste, we offer to our guests the following extras on request: pillows, portable electric heaters (if you've just arrived from a warm climate), extra blankets, extra tea/coffee and complimentary biscuits ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS ASK.

Point Number 6 - I do not know what is meant by the reviewer as a more 'dangerous path' and 'taking risky steps' maybe the reviewer will let me know what is meant?

Finally i have no idea what is meant by 'spinal taps room' but im sure someone will tell me in due course, I am glad you are not Mariah Carey as we have recently decorated and re-carpeted the bedrooms and it would be and it would be a pain in the back side to do it all again.

It goes without saying we try our best to fulfil guest expectations, but sadly on this occasion we did not.

Gordon Jowett (Managing Director and Owner) If I had a middle name maybe it would be Basil.
salisbury
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Just returned after spending 4 nights at this hotel. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms very comfortable and clean. The food was excellent with plenty of choices and you couldn't beat the quick and efficient service! I can not fault this hotel at all and would definitely recommend it to friends and go there again. Well done to Jamie!

Room Tip: No swimming pool or children activities to write about so can not rate
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank amanda t
Steady on, I don't want this to go to Jamie's head but nice to hear he looked after you.

Thanks

Gordon Jowett
Weston, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We have used this hotel before and we have always found the staff to be efficient, friendly and welcoming. We found check in to be quick and efficient and the room was very clean with an equally clean bathroom with a shower over a full size bath. Although we did not use it I believe the room also has internet connection. The hotel is situated close to quite busy roads but despite this we had no problems with noise at all. An additional plus point is the ample sized hotel’s free car park. Breakfast provides a good selection from a cooked buffet breakfast, cereals and fruit. For a visit to Leeds City centre there is a bus stop outside the hotel if you don’t want to drive in. For Sunday lunch we visited Haleys Hotel, which is part of the same company, for a really tasty Sunday carvery lunch. All in all I would recommend this hotel for its location and value for money and would certainly use it again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for your kind comments, hope to see you again.