“Lovely staff and clean room”
Review of The Avenue Hotel

The Avenue Hotel
Ranked #53 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

I had a one night stay at the Adriatic Hotel and I couldn't have asked do nicer staff...both the owner and the man on reception were lovely and very willing to help. The room was basic and the decor is very dated but fine for a short stay. The shower was very hot and I couldn't seem to turn it down but better hot than freezing cold in my opinion

Stayed: February 2014
adriatichotel, Owner at The Avenue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Thank you for your kind words and sorry about the shower. We checked and found that the washer needed replacing, which we did. Hope to see you again!

Reviewed February 18, 2014

I stayed with a friend over Valentines weekend when all the other hotels in the area were £90 +
We had a v clean double room for £49 and were v pleased. Owner v friendly. Would definately stay again.

The location is slightly out of tiwn however only a short taxi journey and only 5 mins drive away in Chapel Allerton with a good selections of bars and restaurants.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank elaine_duncan

Thank you for your kinds words and a true reflection.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

My sister and I traveld from Taiwan and stayed here for two nights. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We were really impressed by the owner George who is not only benign but "versatile", doing the renovating work and serving us breakfast, ha! The room was clean and cozy. We felt like at home. We'll definitely spend the nights here if we visit Leeds again!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed December 9, 2013

We booked this hotel for one night in November, for an all day event. We called the day before to ask if we could check in early and they were very accommodating. The lady at the front desk was lovely and gave us a tour of the hotel. The room was standard, a bit outdated but very clean and warm. The late check out times were very good for a lie in and the lady was very helpful with directions to the bus stop. Would definitely stay there again and the taxis were cheap from the city centre.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
adriatichotel, Owner at The Avenue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Many thanks for your kind words.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

Me and 2 other mates stopped at the Adriatic when visiting Leeds for a gig at the o2 academy. We were not expecting great things due to the money spent but were not disappointed at all! Room and facilities were fine for the 1 night we stayed and we could not fault George, his wife and staff for the effort they put into the business. Businesses like this should be appreciated for the service they offer and essentially you get what you pay for. Keep up the fifty years of hard graft George!

Hopefully will be back for the next gig, Peace!!! x

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Thanks lads! Hope to see you again.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

We booked this hotel due to the good location and there were no Travelodge/Premier Inn etc. available left for 7 people.
We were greeted on arrival and helped up to our rooms on the top floor, we had 4 rooms booked and were all together which was good. I think out of the 4 our room was the best as the other girls complained of a bad smell, the room was an okay size and the bathroom was clean. Small TV with freeview and Tea/Coffee facilities. The Decor is horrendous but what can you expect?
At night all the lights get turned off on all floors and being right at the top it was quite frightening if going downstairs on your own!
When we came back around 4am the front door was also open too which wasn't a good thing!
The only serious downside was that our room was freezing cold, the heating must get switched off around 9pm as after that it is seriously cold in the rooms, think sleeping with coats on!
Overall the stay was fine, the rooms were clean enough and i had a good night sleep minus the cold! For what we wanted it for it was absolutely fine.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
adriatichotel, Manager at The Avenue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Thank you for your comments and I appreciate you taking time out to post the review.
I apologise for the rooms heating not being upto standard as the central heating is timed and may have been off when you arrived back late at night. We are addressing this issue by installing panel heaters in all the rooms. The main lights in the corridors are left on but sometimes get switched off by other guests, however the emergency lights provide industry standard lighting and are checked weekly.
The front door can only be opened from the outside by a key. I can only assume by your comments it was left wide open by another guest, which I agree is not a good thing and have addressed the closing mechanism on the door. I am in the process of contacting the customer.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

If you are looking at this then you have left it too late and all the decent hotels in Leeds are booked. My advice, stay home.

This place is a miracle of nature and science, featuring the only bath in the world that is cleaner after you use it and the toilet that never stops flushing!

To stay here you will need the following:
Nose plugs for the stink,
Food because they have a restaurant downstairs,
Bed and pillows because someone's skin and hair and blood will be in the one you get,
Ear plugs - for gods sake don't flush the toilet, just leave what you did there trust me it's better

I got here and filled up the kettle for a tea then went out. When I got back I did not check, but someone had emptied the kettle so when I switched it on it blew up, adding a new flavour to the stink.

Got some food on the first day, they brought it to my room on a tea tray with an elegant covering of tin foil. The dude dropped a comment like, You've never had service like this.

Yes I have. It's called room service.

I took a bit of the meat, going to have it analysed for human DNA.

The woman at the desk had chef whites on, looked like a lab coat, probably for the dungeon.

I'm going now.....they are coming for me.....goodbye world

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank N F

I am sorry to read that we haven’t met your expectations of the service we offer here at the hotel. Perhaps if you had given us the opportunity to discuss your comments and observations at the time, we could have had the opportunity to address them.
However, I should comment on what you have said. Our decor is old and it is not hidden from the pictures and we are rated for our cleanliness. The hair that you have taken a picture of should not of been there and we apologise for that. The toilet takes 1.5 minutes to fill once flushed... and that's it.
There was a smell on the first night as the room next door had a take away - something I will address later.
I cannot comment about the skin, hair and blood on the pillow but I'm sure you would of taken a picture as with the others. All our bed linen is clean and fresh.
When we service the bedrooms we replenish the tea/coffee tray and yes! empty the water from the kettle. Surely it's common sense to check that water is in before you switch it on.
Spaghetti Bolognese was ordered and you asked if you could have it in the room. I explained that we do not like to have cooked food in the bedrooms as it can leave an after smell, see my point earlier. However, the customer pleaded that they had work to do and it would really help them out. I relented, which was a bad mistake and once the food was ready it was taken up stairs with foil covering it as it had some way to go. The exact word words were “ here you are and enjoy your meal. The comment about the meat is pure malice!
We are only a small family run hotel and we do have uniforms for various tasks and we are smartly dressed. Rather than a customer waiting for anything we try to serve at once so they do not have to wait! Hence he was checking out and only had to leave his key. Yes, my wife was wearing chef’s whites at the time as breakfast had just finished and we were tidying up.
The picture of the tiles were not found like that nor were they left like that. There are no excuses from us that the tiles could of been removed as easily as that but I have to add that they were manipulated for the picture as was the shelf in the bedside cabinet. It was not found like that nor was it left like that as I had been in the room changing a light bulb prior to the guest arriving and the reason I know this is that I moved the cabinet back in place so that I could reach the light.
I am disappointed that you did not come and address your concerns to me as I would of been able to correct them. We have learned lessons from your comments but to all others reading this check out the "dudes" other review....wow!