“Restless Nights”
Review of Glengarth Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Leeds
Glengarth Hotel
Ranked #14 of 25 Leeds B&B and Inns
Essex
“Restless Nights”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I booked 2 nights at the Avalon B&B in advance. On arrival, I was directed to the Glengarth as the Avalon was apparently full.

The Avalon has ample parking, the Glengarth does not.

I was put in room 1 which is next to the entrance door. The whole hotel has a musty/damp smell. The room was the size of a shoe box but clean with en-suite shower & toilet. There are tea/instant coffee making facilities with & a small flat screen freeview TV which is mounted about 8ft up on the wall at the far end of the room from the head of the bed.

This is a noisy location as the walls are paper thin. Every conversation in the corridor could be heard clearly as could the opening & closing of cupboards. As a consequence, I did not get much sleep.

At 8.30 in the morning of the first day, having been woken at 05.30, I went for breakfast to find the dining room quite full & was offered a seat at a table with a total stranger which I declined. If they are going to offer bed & breakfast they should ensure the dining facilities can cope with the number of guests. I did not bother going for breakfast on the second day.

The staff were polite but the stay started on a bad foot having to move from where I had booked & continued on a bad footing through the lack of sleep.

Room Tip: Don't - go somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

After being told by the owners that this 'hotel' had a car park and provided breakfast we decided to book up well in advance. We called and made a reservation 4weeks prior but in arrival no one was expecting us and there was no car park, just a very small drive! The smell in the 'hotel' was quite unpleasant. We were shown to our room and, well, to say we weren't happy was an understatement, in fact the only saving grace was that the bed linen appeared to be fresh.
The curtains were hanging off the rail, outside the window were two rubbish tubs containing empty bottles and then other rubbish including half empty milk bottles strewn across the floor, just a little further were the traffic cones and rubbish bin/fire pit!
The carpet in the room was so dirty I refused to put my feet onto the floor without wearing shoes, even after getting out of the shower! The 'en-suite' was grubby and squashed. There were towels provided for the two of us, x1hand towel and x1bath towel barely big enough to fit around a person, these were at the furthest point away from the 'en-suite' on a rail by the bedroom window!
The tea and coffee facilities consisted of two sachets of coffee, cartons of full cream milk (un-refrigerated) and a small, very dusty, Tupperware container holding two, unwrapped, tea bags, gross! Needless to say we abstained from the tea!
That afternoon we left to visit some friends, upon on our return, at approx 11:30pm, we could not fit onto the drive with our car so my wife went in to speak to the owner who then went to 'wake up' another guest to get them to move their car further onto the drive. On parking my wife asked if we were ok to leave our car where it was, as we wouldn't be leaving again until mid-morning the following day, we were told we could and it would be fine. Shattered from a long day of driving, we retired to bed, well, I say bed, we likened the bed to sleeping on a laying down wardrobe! I've never been more uncomfortable! And we had 1&1/2 pilows between us! At 6am there was a knock at our door! When I opened it it was the owner and I was asked to move my car! As you can imagine I was less than impressed having been assured the evening before that I as fine where I had parked!
The shower has two settings, death by scalding or dearh by freezing! Nuff said!
We were told breakfast was between 7:30 & 8:30, what we were not told, however, is that you are expected to arrive by 7:30am! If you don't they knock your door to find out when you will be going for breakfast! On arrival for breakfast, at 8:15am, and within 60 seconds of sitting down, we were presented with a cooked breakfast, floating in a pool of grease! It was clear that this had been prepared at 7:30 and sat in an oven for 45 minutes, everything was hard!
Needless to say this is the worst experience of a 'hotel' that I've ever had and we left that day refusing to spend one more minute there let alone another night! I would not recommend this place, it's disgusting, in a poor state of disrepair, wall paper hanging off the walls, damp patches on all the ceilings, smelly, dirty, uncomfortable....need I go on! Avoid at all cost!

• Stayed August 2013
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Fairly basic but cheaper than most hotels we looked at had easy parking, rooms were clean and fairy large though not entirely to our taste. This was a good location with only 5 minute taxi ride to Leeds so very convinient. Also the hosts were very helpful, opening for breakfast half hour early on request and providing good information.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I had a nice stay at the Glengarth, and would recommend it as a budget hotel for those visiting Leeds University, it is very close and a perfect location. There should be a rating between "average" and "very good": I would say it was good. I read some terrible reviews on here but decided to try it anyway as there were a couple of nice ones, and it was good for the price

Good things were: very cheap, perfect location for Leeds Uni, very clean, friendly staff

Bad things: the main things were the actual design of the building, which I don't know what they can do about, but I feel I should tell people: I found it very noisy, as it is a small guest house and so I guess not designed to be well-insulated like other larger hotels. I had asked for a quiet room as I am a light sleeper and need a lot of sleep, One of the staff, Vic, who is exceptionally friendly, polite and helpful, said that he had made every effort to get me a quiet room, which I believe. However, I was kept awake most of the night by people moving around above and on the stairs: other guests or staff made no effort to be quiet in the middle of the night, and I was disturbed by floorboards and people walking around almost all night.

I had a single ensuite, very clean, but just some of it was not well designed, eg the taps in the sink are so far back that you can hardly get your hand under them, and there is a ledge just above the sink, so if you wash your face you can't help but get water all over the floor.

There was also a plastic sheet under the sheet in the bed, which was uncomfortable and made the bed quite hard, again not something I would expect!

I read some of the reviews about rude staff, and I think a lot of it is cultural misunderstanding: the owner is from Sri Lanka, and I think people just misunderstood his manner: it may come across as abrupt when he doesn't mean to. He put beans with my egg for breakfast without asking, so I asked him to change it, which he did.

The main thing that was strange was that they seated a stranger opposite me at breakfast both days when I was on my own, when there were 2 spare tables: this was unnecessary, and obviously because they don't want to make up new tables, but again this may be a cultural thing, hopefully they will learn this is not really acceptable: if people are staying on their own then they want to sit alone at breakfast and not have to have a stranger sit with them!

I would recommend this hotel, but just be warned if you are a light sleeper you may be disturbed. With a few adjustments to some of the things I have mentioned it would be even better, but for a very cheap small guest house it was nice.

Room Tip: I would recommend asking for a top floor room if you are a light sleeper to avoid noise on the stair...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
New Delhi, India
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed here in September for almost 10 days. Got a double room at 50 pounds.

Pros - Very warm and friendly staff. Quick and helpful reply to emails. Very close to the Leeds University. Especially Storm Jameson Court (where our daughter was staying), so very convenient. The rooms are large, airy and clean. The bathroom was very tiny though the room had full length windows which we loved. The main city is walkable too. About 15 mins by foot. Though there is a bus round the corner. Taxis on request are easily available (across the city). You have a launderette close by too. The breakfast is standard fare. They keep your luggage on request. There is a hair dryer and tea/coffee making facility. The room is cleaned everyday.

Cons - The decor is not good. There is an odd smell as you enter. The TV in the room is very tiny. The pillows are very hard! The heating control in the room sometimes works and sometimes just doesn't. You have to ask the manager. There was a strange gushing sound of water up the pipes every time someone flushed!! (This was in Avalon guest house, their other B&B close by). But they made up for it and shifted us the Glengarth, where we didn't have this particular problem.

On the whole a good stay for a budget accommodation, esp very close to the Leeds University. One particular night, our daughter stayed with us and had breakfast too, for which they didn't charge anything extra. A nice gesture on their part. Thank you for the stay!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

Basic somewhere to kip. One step up from doss house. Not professional hoteliers ! Room clean£38 for double room but only me staying
Cold! Needs heating. Bathroom and tv ok. Adequate. But stinks of mothballs and I need to keep my clothes on on bed!!

• Stayed September 2012

Travelers are raving about these Leeds hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Confirmed booking, 4 days later turned round and said it was unavailable. Then when I phoned them up to try and sort somethign they hung up on me! Absoloutely shocking customer service.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo