“cheap and cheerful, made by the hosts.”
Review of Glengarth Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Leeds
Glengarth Hotel
Ranked #12 of 25 Leeds B&B and Inns
Darlington, United Kingdom
“cheap and cheerful, made by the hosts.”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Fairly basic but cheaper than most hotels we looked at had easy parking, rooms were clean and fairy large though not entirely to our taste. This was a good location with only 5 minute taxi ride to Leeds so very convinient. Also the hosts were very helpful, opening for breakfast half hour early on request and providing good information.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I had a nice stay at the Glengarth, and would recommend it as a budget hotel for those visiting Leeds University, it is very close and a perfect location. There should be a rating between "average" and "very good": I would say it was good. I read some terrible reviews on here but decided to try it anyway as there were a couple of nice ones, and it was good for the price

Good things were: very cheap, perfect location for Leeds Uni, very clean, friendly staff

Bad things: the main things were the actual design of the building, which I don't know what they can do about, but I feel I should tell people: I found it very noisy, as it is a small guest house and so I guess not designed to be well-insulated like other larger hotels. I had asked for a quiet room as I am a light sleeper and need a lot of sleep, One of the staff, Vic, who is exceptionally friendly, polite and helpful, said that he had made every effort to get me a quiet room, which I believe. However, I was kept awake most of the night by people moving around above and on the stairs: other guests or staff made no effort to be quiet in the middle of the night, and I was disturbed by floorboards and people walking around almost all night.

I had a single ensuite, very clean, but just some of it was not well designed, eg the taps in the sink are so far back that you can hardly get your hand under them, and there is a ledge just above the sink, so if you wash your face you can't help but get water all over the floor.

There was also a plastic sheet under the sheet in the bed, which was uncomfortable and made the bed quite hard, again not something I would expect!

I read some of the reviews about rude staff, and I think a lot of it is cultural misunderstanding: the owner is from Sri Lanka, and I think people just misunderstood his manner: it may come across as abrupt when he doesn't mean to. He put beans with my egg for breakfast without asking, so I asked him to change it, which he did.

The main thing that was strange was that they seated a stranger opposite me at breakfast both days when I was on my own, when there were 2 spare tables: this was unnecessary, and obviously because they don't want to make up new tables, but again this may be a cultural thing, hopefully they will learn this is not really acceptable: if people are staying on their own then they want to sit alone at breakfast and not have to have a stranger sit with them!

I would recommend this hotel, but just be warned if you are a light sleeper you may be disturbed. With a few adjustments to some of the things I have mentioned it would be even better, but for a very cheap small guest house it was nice.

Room Tip: I would recommend asking for a top floor room if you are a light sleeper to avoid noise on the stair...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
New Delhi, India
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed here in September for almost 10 days. Got a double room at 50 pounds.

Pros - Very warm and friendly staff. Quick and helpful reply to emails. Very close to the Leeds University. Especially Storm Jameson Court (where our daughter was staying), so very convenient. The rooms are large, airy and clean. The bathroom was very tiny though the room had full length windows which we loved. The main city is walkable too. About 15 mins by foot. Though there is a bus round the corner. Taxis on request are easily available (across the city). You have a launderette close by too. The breakfast is standard fare. They keep your luggage on request. There is a hair dryer and tea/coffee making facility. The room is cleaned everyday.

Cons - The decor is not good. There is an odd smell as you enter. The TV in the room is very tiny. The pillows are very hard! The heating control in the room sometimes works and sometimes just doesn't. You have to ask the manager. There was a strange gushing sound of water up the pipes every time someone flushed!! (This was in Avalon guest house, their other B&B close by). But they made up for it and shifted us the Glengarth, where we didn't have this particular problem.

On the whole a good stay for a budget accommodation, esp very close to the Leeds University. One particular night, our daughter stayed with us and had breakfast too, for which they didn't charge anything extra. A nice gesture on their part. Thank you for the stay!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

Basic somewhere to kip. One step up from doss house. Not professional hoteliers ! Room clean£38 for double room but only me staying
Cold! Needs heating. Bathroom and tv ok. Adequate. But stinks of mothballs and I need to keep my clothes on on bed!!

• Stayed September 2012

Travelers are raving about these Leeds hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Confirmed booking, 4 days later turned round and said it was unavailable. Then when I phoned them up to try and sort somethign they hung up on me! Absoloutely shocking customer service.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2012

Dear Sir,

Last Tuesday I found I had to visit the university early on Wednesday morning and found the hotel on the internet. After emailing and getting a rapid response to my requirements, I phoned and booked a room for the night. On arrival we were warmly welcomed and shown the room, which was very clean, smartly decorated and comfortable. We were told all the necessary instruction for maintaining the heat, security and breakfast times, then bid a good nights stay. In the morning on entering the dining room we were greeted and served quickly and your staff ensured we had all we needed and left us to chat. We needed to leave the car while attending the University and you kindly offered us to leave the car in the car park until we returned later in the morning. The manner and welcome ensured we were successful in our mission and I thank you for your attention to detail during our visit. I hope to stay again when returning to Leeds.

Thanks,

David Waugh.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank David W
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2012

i should wants to say here my excellent experience i have booked a single room when i need before 11 am the receptionist is very good warm welcome me and i preferred english breakfast and the gentle man was took me and showed the room excellent tidy attached shower room, lcd tv, tea,coffee,milk on the table very polite room really i had enjoyed that night sleep. nextday morning breakfast its really lovely wonderful 3 piease of bacon sosage egg tea coffee orange juice.the staff was very friendly and helpful the location was good near the uni and town center when i will be in leeds i wanna defently come back at glengarth im highly recommended its based one of the cheepest and worthfulness

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo