“Beautiful room with lots of character”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of 42 The Calls

42 The Calls
Ranked #40 of 86 Hotels in Leeds
caligirlinUK
“Beautiful room with lots of character”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Stayed one night on the 3rd floor in a deluxe double room. The room had beautiful rafters and gave the room such a wonderful shape. The bed and bedding were great. Little touches like shortbread, fudge and mini smarties at turn down. The bathroom wasnt the most luxurious but it was good. Lovely bath towels and robes. A complimentary glass of wine on arrival was a nice touch. We didnt have breafast so cant rate that. Our cafetierre wasnt working so we rung down to reception to ask for coffee as we dont like instant and it arrived in less than 10 minutes.
Would definitely stay here again and the location is good, Only drawback was staying on a saturday night other guests were a bit loud coming back and was woken a few times with people crossing over the pedestrian bridge and being a bit merrt.

Room Tip: Would think that most of the 3rd floor rooms would have the lovely vaulted ceilings with the beams.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
MissHelenBradshaw, Operations Manager at 42 The Calls, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for reviewing 42 The Calls.

A lot of our rooms, especially on the third floor do have the exposed beams and really show the history of the building.

I am glad that overall you enjoyed the location of the hotel and would definitely stay here again.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

I stayed here for one night whilst away with work. It was a welcome break to stay in a hotel that isn't a chain hotel. Staff were friendly and the room was warm (some people may find it too warm but you can open the windows!) bed comfy and wifi free and working - the main things I look for in a hotel when away with work. I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the 5/5 rating.

It is always nice to read that we have made a guest's time working away from home that much more enjoyable.

The team and I will be happy to see you return to the hotel soon.

Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

I recently stayed in the hotel on business for an annual seminar we run in Leeds. Having stayed on two previous occasions and slept extremely well (despite the room being extremely hot) I was really looking forward to my return visit. However, I feel I must comment on the extremely poor breakfast service which has tainted my experience and view of the hotel. Okay - we arrived at 9:15 at the latter end of the breakfast service, but when you are told breakfast runs until 9:30 you would expect to be treated the same as a guest who arrived at the crack of dawn. I've read a similar comment in that it was almost 10/15 minutes until anyone actually came to take an order (or even provide a breakfast menu for us to look at) - "Do you have any apple juice?" - "No..we've run out"....."Do you have any croissants or pastries" - "No...sorry we've run out". Now, I would expect this of a run-of-the-mill chain hotel but 42 The Calls - you could do better. I can understand maybe the lack of pastries (after all a chef will only make so many) but apple juce? You have to be kidding - there must have been spare cartons..especially in preparation for the weekend. I ordered duck eggs and soldiers - the soldiers were burnt - my friend ordered poached eggs on toast - the yolks were hard. Hardly the "boutique" breakfast experience you would expect. I felt like the staff were desperate to be somewhere else and past 9:45 they had all but disappeared.

To summarise, 42 The Calls is a hotel with character in a great location on the canal with spacious rooms and large bathrooms - but the breakfast staff and service were a letdown.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd floor have more character :)
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Broomey
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I was concerned to read that having enjoyed two previous stays you were left disappointed on this occasion.

Please accept my apologies for this lapse of service at breakfast and be assure that I have addressed this with the head chef and all of the kitchen team.

Please do contact me directly on your next visit to Leeds so I can personally oversee your stay.

Rainford, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

lovely unusual hotel, great setting and good service. The rooms were nice, original features and lots of nice cute extras. The rooms was VERY hot and we couldnt find a thermosat, and the tv and shower needed updating to suit the upmarket feel of the rest of the room...other than that, I would definitely stay again. The breakfast was DELICIOUS...we spent two hours eating everything available! lots of varieties of museli, fruit, yogurts...well worth the money. Book early to get a deal on laterooms, as perhaps not worth the £200 room rate, but would definitely recommend if you get a get a good deal.

Room Tip: book early through laterooms for a good deal
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review.

Our head chef Nigel is especially pleased with your comments regarding the delicous breakfast.

We are due to undergo a refurbishment with some public area's nearly completed. This would incorporate the changing of TV's as well as the decor in the bedrooms.

Please do contact us directly on your next visit to Leeds so we can update you on any promotions we have available.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

42 The Calls is a FANTASTIC hotel. Its a converted Mill, and whilst it has high beamed ceilings, it still feels cosy and welcoming. The staff were so welcoming and friendly - Abbie in particular was lovely. A welcome glass of wine was a really nice touch also!

The room was wonderful, nice and spacious. The beds are super comfy and the bathroom toiletries were fab.

We also chose to have breakfast which was great. Nice selection of breads, cereals and pastries and the full english was amazing!

Try and get a room overlooking the canal, as its a great view.

We will most definitely be staying here again. I've stayed in Leeds a lot, mainly in the chain hotels, but this is an absolute treasure! I won't stay anywhere else now.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for rating us so highly in your review.

It was great to read that having such a great stay we will be your first choice when visiting Leeds.

I have passed on your comments to all of the team, especially Abbie on reception, who is delighted with her personal mention.

We will see you soon.

UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

I booked two rooms at this boutique hotel as it was one of my BF 40th's, who had recovered from breast cancer and I wanted it to be special for her and her partner. The staff could not do enough to ensure everything was just perfect, we even got upgraded rooms too. The rooms were rustic and contemporary but sung and warm with a bed that hugged you. The bathrooms were immaculate and all products were provided too. The view overlooked the back of the canal and was very peaceful, when we awoke the next day it had snowed and you could have been in Swizerland it was so pretty. The only thing that I would say was the breakfast service was rather poor service, no-one came to ask what we wanted to drink or eat for 20 mins and we waited another 20 mins for our breakfast to come, the staff seemed to be flustered and did not speak very good English, so it was a little annoying. However the overall stay was wonderful and I would go again.

Room Tip: Ask for one that overlooks the canal
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
MissHelenBradshaw, Operations Manager at 42 The Calls, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for taking teh time to write your review.

I was glad to see that overall you enjoyed your stay, however, I was concerned to read your comments regarding the breakfast.

I have spoken to the staff that were on duty that morning and will ensure further training is given where necessary.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you and your friend back again soon.

Middlesbrough
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

We came here with friends and is one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in. We checked in and received a complimentary glass of wine. We were then showed to our rooms which were amazing. Well worth the money! There are plenty of nice bars and restaurants within walking distance. Breakfast is amazing. (Order on the day as was 9 pounds each where as our friends paid 15 each on line) it's well worth it! Overall this is a brilliant hotel, good staff and excellent atmosphere. I really recommend it!

Room Tip: Go for delux.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review.

I am delighted that you and your friends enjoyed your stay.

We all look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.