“A Gem In Leeds!”
Review of 42 The Calls

42 The Calls
Ranked #45 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I stayed at "42 The Calls" in December 2012 with a friend. From the moment we arrived the staff could not do enough to help make our stay most comfortable & enjoyable.
We asked the receptionist (I think her name was Abbie) to book a table for us in Leeds on a Saturday night. After countless phonecalls to various restaurants we were unable to get a reservation.The staff were so helpful & set up a table for 2 in the cosy bar area. there we were served a three-course meal from the room service menu, it was well presented and attentively served. The Hotel rooms have lovely views of the Canal, the rooms are clean, cosy & very "homely". Room service is with you in under 10 minutes with a smile. The breakfasts are wonderful, with several choices of their homemade sausages. All in all a lovely boutique Hotel & although only a two minute walk to the centre of Leeds, without all the hassle & bussle of being in the City.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the canal.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

Beautiful hotel but you have to search for the staff and when you find them I wished I hadn't! We checked in at 3.30Pm and was told our room wasn't ready, so no big deal! We left our luggage and went shopping. We returned at 6 to be told our luggage was in our room. When we got to our room it was not there. I rang reception to tell them they was a mistake and asked someone to bring it up. I was told they was to busy and would have to get it myself. When I went to reception they was no one there and my bags where left behind the desk. After 5 mins I got my luggage and took it to my room. Through out the stay I felt like the staff believed they was doing us a favour, with exception to the waiter who served a beautiful breakfast. Beautiful hotel but very under staffed, maybe this is why they are so rude!

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank Mhjnr
Reviewed December 16, 2012

My Wife and I stayed here as we had a work christmas party just up the road. On arrival there was a complimetary glass of mulled wine, Check in was quick and efficient and all the staff were friendly. The room was great noce and large with a very comfortable bed. Cathroom again large with decent towels and complimentary soap etc. I didn't experience any problems with noise from the street but potentially this could be an issue as there are many bars and restuarants in the area.
Would definitely stay again and at the price we paid was definitely worth it and saved getting the train back home at 1 in the morning.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Very quirky and characterful hotel - a welcome change from identikit city centre hotels. Glass of mulled wine on arrival was a nice touch and staff generally very pleasant. Large room with separate sitting area - no view at all, but not a problem on a dark December night. Loved the spacious bathroom with quality towels, extra deep tub and fluffy robes. Bed was large and comfortable. Liked the option of a continental breakfast delivered to the 'cupboard' by the door but quite pricey for what was offered. A few gripes - mainly as mentioned by other reviewers. Carpets and furnishings a bit tired and walls could do with a coat of fresh paint. The room was incredibly hot - even though it was freezing outside. We turned off all the radiators and the heated towel rail and it was still uncomfortably warm - I had to sleep without the duvet over me. There was a barely readable notice in the bathroom stating that the water wasn't suitable for drinking - this being the case, we felt it was a bit mean to supply just one very small bottle of mineral water between 2 people - especially as the room was like a sauna. Parking is also a bit of a problem - meters on the street outside with a maximum stay of 2 hours.
All in all, would stay again if we could get a reduced room rate offer (as we did this time) but would not pay the full rate.

Room Tip: Ask for a room where it is possible to open the windows - otherwise you might roast!
1  Thank Penelope50
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We stayed one night and took advantage of an early bookers deal, saving in the process. The boutique effect is quirky. The reception is small and we were offered mulled wine on arrival and shown to the lift. All the staff were very friendly. The rooms offered a great deal, but some of the furniture was a little dated. This was forgiven as we enjoyed fresh coffee from the refreshment tray and tucked into home made shortbread. There were also complimentary Smarties, mineral water and home made fudge on offer. Each room seems to be individual. Friends stayed with us and their room was much smaller than ours. We also had a huge bathroom, great deep bath and decent shower. The bed was wonderfully comfortable with a lovely duvet. One negative was that the TV could only be viewed by contortion when in bed! We use the honesty bar downstairs to enjoy a pre-dinner drink. It was intimate (small) but peacefully relaxing. I note that one recent review commented on the noise, which we were also aware of as well, but with such a cosy bed we tumbled back asleep quickly. Would I recommend it..........Yes!

Reviewed December 6, 2012

Friendly staff, nice warm room, comfortable bed and great view across the canal...but.... the noise from people returning home after a night out kept us both awake for two nights running until 4am. Another layer of glazing over the windows would help.

The walls are paper thin too, we could hear the guy next door coughing through the night.

The free wi-fi is a bit of a joke. It's so slow, it's almost unusable and you have to pay to get a faster connection. When we paid over £300 for 2 nights I felt that was a bit cheeky.

Didn't have breakfast as they charge £15 per head so cannot comment other than to say three of us had a brilliant breakfast in Headingly for under £20 and it's only 10 mins drive away

Room Tip: Choose a room as far from the bridge and the next door restaurant as possible
Reviewed December 5, 2012

This is a refreshing change from the modern, characterless hotels that dominate most cities. The décor of the public areas and the rooms is individual, but comfortable and homely. My room overlooked the canal and had a fishing rod as part of the decoration! There is complementary mineral water in the room - a small touch that I rate highly, and a small box of Smarties made a pleasant treat too. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was clean, modern and efficient. Breakfast is excellent - I had a freshly cooked omelette, which was light and delicious. The room prices are reasonable too so this is well worth a try if you are looking for accommodation in central Leeds.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the canal are quiet and restful.
Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business