“Cosy atomsphere & good food”

My Thai at the Old Steps
Ranked #86 of 1,811 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: Thai food cooked fast and fresh a menu of almost 100 choices and special foodie dishes too including all the old favourites too. 26 York Place Leeds 0113 245 0482
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Cosy atomsphere & good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

A very busy place but a warm cosy atmosphere.
The staff are very attentive and helpful.
The food/rump steak was excellent cooked as requested - med to rare.
A delightful experience.
There was a problem with the beer which had run off and when I mentioned it the staff replaced the drink without any hesitation.
My wife & I had the baked Camembert for starters which was fantastic.
This was our first visit & we were not dissapointed.

• Visited March 2014

• Korean first
Welwick, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food and great value.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

What a pleasant surprise. We went for Valentines day and what a great choice. This is a small bar, restaurant which belies the quality of the food. Exceptional on all counts. So much so we waddled out having eaten far too much but so good. Scallops for starters, perfect. Beef Wellington superb. Apple tart tartan and cheese and biscuits. Staff and service were great.

• Visited February 2014
424jimc, Owner at My Thai at the Old Steps, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review. Valentines night is always enjoyable, this year what we lacked in numbers was more than made up by the nice people that came. I think our chef thinks nobody has eaten for a week as you are quite right everybody said they could not eat another morsel. I'm glad you enjoyed the evening and look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Leeds
“Small restaurant but BIG on quality”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

Last night my wife, two friends and I dined at The Old Steps for the first, but not the last, time. It is a small intimate restaurant / bar, where friendly attentive service is obviously paramount and only beaten by the quality of the food. We all had steaks for our main course and which were succulent and cooked, as ordered, to perfection. All food was extremely well presented.
The wines, whilst a little on the high side, did not deter from an excellent dining experience.

In fact the group on the next table, with whom we were chatting, also voiced their enjoyment. We left advising our the Owner / Chef, John, of our intention to return which is "a definite".
Shaun69

PS- Reading the comments of Josephine P are laughable. I doubt she'd acknowledge good food if at The Ritz and to ask for Ketchup says it all. Everything was contrary to her comments, so perhaps she should stick to Greasy Spoon dining eh?

• Visited February 2014
424jimc, Public Relations Manager at My Thai at the Old Steps, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
May I first say how much we appreciate you taking the time to post a review, Even more so that you seem to have enjoyed your visit to "The Old Steps". You say it's the first time you have visited and we really do like first timers to arrive as strangers and leave as friends. We know we are very small and this can have its advantages as well as disadvantages as customers often end up chatting to each other which can add to the enjoyment and ambiance of the evening. Thanks also for the positive remarks, especially after the previous review which I must admit left me stunned. I know we can sometimes make mistakes which we really do try to learn from but overall I think most customers appreciate our value for money and friendly service.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“worst steak ever!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

Went to The Old Steps with Groupon voucher, was slightly put off on arrival as the chef was outside smoking. The place can only described as dingy and grubby and youcan see straight in the kitchen, I did worry what the food would be like. When the food arrived and I asked for ketchup I was advise that they didn't have any, very strange when serving steak & chips. The steak was covered in gravy and cold, when I complained I was offered it to be re done but would be sirloin not rump, it was actually sirloin that I ordered, the second steak was lukewarm and like a piece of old boot. It was like a piece of cheap frying steak definatley not sirloin. Whilst the waitress was very apologetic she never offered a free drink whilst we waited or to refund the difference that was paid for the wrong steak. The bar was cold and draughty and had no atmosphere, there was couple on the next table using a groupon as well, they left their starters which looked revolting and most of their main courses but were obviously too polite to complain. I would certainly not recommend this.

1 Thank pr4stja
424jimc, Owner at My Thai at the Old Steps, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Nobody likes bad reviews but we get very few,although I appreciate your visit was not a happy one. The Old Steps has been around for a very long time it is small some say to small but not dark and not dingy. The place is painted regularly and all the light were on during your visit. But to answer your points one by one, our chef does smoke I think if you looked at the back door of most hotels and restaurants you will find the staff smoking and quite a lot of chefs do smoke and although I personally do not I respect others people choice during there break as long as it outside. I would have thought that to be able to see into the kitchen was a plus feature at least you can see whats happening to your food and as we are regularly inspected and hold the maximum 5 stars for food hygiene I would have thought that spoke for itself. Your steak came straight out f the pan onto your plate and you were served immediately, why it was cold I cannot understand perhaps you were waiting for the ketchup to arrive which regretfully we had run out of, we rairly get asked for ketchup as it already comes with a sauce.We normally serve the Steak with a small amount of peppercorn sauce and have never had any complaints about the way it is served. When you booked you actually asked for Rump and then sent us a email the day before advising us that it was actually sirloin. We only had just enough sirloin and when you complained we had to replace it with Rump. You had you steak well done with naturally toughens the meat. We have a very good heating system installed if you were cold you should have asked for it to be turned up as it was I 10 other people on a quite night all enjoyed their steak and including the people sitting next to you whose only complaint to us after you left was about about the people sitting next to them. I fully appreciate that it is difficult to please everybody all of the time but having sold over 2000 steaks in 18 months when the vast majority enjoy the food , ambiance and superb value I think we must be doing something right.
Welwick, United Kingdom
“Valentines treat.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

A real gem. Fantastic food and at a great price. They can serve a pint of beer. Not pretentious, friendly not what you would expect from a city eatery.

Visited February 2014