“Excellent”

City Cafe
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Following extensive refurbishment, we are proud to present you with The Lock Kitchen & Bar (formerly known as City Café Restaurant, Bar & Terrace). WHERE TALES BEGIN ... We’ve used all the heritage of the Leeds / Liverpool canal as inspiration and dedicated The Lock Kitchen & Bar to all that greatness. Sourcing the very best ingredients for those looking for something different to taste and explore, creating a kitchen and bar that will intrigue. There are no rules with us – you should eat, drink, meet your way
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Really good dining experience, good central location. Digestif in Sky lounge is a great way of finishing you evening. Overall really good. Will recommend to all of my friends and definitely will go back myself.

There are newer reviews for City Cafe

Reviewed August 27, 2013

What can I say? raviola was supberb!!! chicken with chorizo yummy only let down was it needed some ju but the flavours was fab, the service was fantastic!! All your needs were met.
I keep telling everyone to go there because the meals are so worth it and as far as I am concerned for the money you get so much class and fantastic tasting food, if you want to impress on the cheap then thats the place to go, £15 for market menu for two courses or £20 for three courses, even if you dont do the market menu it is still cheap. Oh forgot to mention the deserts are to die for, even if full on two courses you just and I mean you have to get the deserts, melt in your mouth then you feel disappointed because you have finished.

Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

We visited the city cafe at Leeds when we stopped at the double tree.
The evening meal deal was just £13.95 for a two course meal with a glass of house wine included.
Although the first course was a little slow in coming the food was worth the wait and I would recommend.
The place was nice but not over elaborate.
Overall a good value deal - the service was probably slow due to a function taking place in another room.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

City Cafe was very quiet when I visited, with just three other tables occupied, so service was excellent.

The menu had a good choice of main courses, but there wasn't much to choose from as a starter.

I had the chargrilled hamburger and it was reasonable good, but came with only a small number of fries. Overall I felt I had paid more than it was worth.

This place probably has more atmosphere at the weekends or if you are part of a large group. It felt too quiet for me on a Thursday evening.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I understand that as a hotel restaurant City Cafe would be expensive - but poor food is unacceptable. We've been staying at the DoubleTree by Hilton for a few weeks and have ordered room service several times (which has been OK, if a little inconsistent), so we decided to go down and try out the restaurant.

Well, I'm sad to say that it was really quite disappointing. The service was great (it is a Hilton, after all). The good was far from it. We ordered Linguine with Prawns, and no matter what the chef said, the prawns were freezer prawns and the linguine was all broken. When we asked, the chef said the linguine is made fresh everyday and breaks sometimes. What?! It's not linguine if it's 1 inch long!! And then, there were 5 baby prawns in the entire dish, which was under seasoned. Worst of all, the chef actually forgot to give us rocket (which the linguine came with) and we had to ask for it separately.

For the disappointing food, it was overpriced at £16.95 for each pasta - but the waiter was very friendly and did not add the discretionary service charge to the bill. In retrospect, though, we should have refused to eat the pasta on principle - it was just bad.

Sorry - money and service are a different matter, but if a restaurant does not serve good food, it can't get a good rating.

However, I MUST add that breakfast at City Cafe is above the average breakfast you will get at any other Leeds Hotel.