“Excellent meal deal with a glass a wine thrown in!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of City Cafe

City Cafe
Ranked #480 of 1,811 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: British, European
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Awarded the 2014 'Best Hotel Restaurant in Yorkshire' at the Oliver Awards and achieving the 2014 TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence, City Cafe restaurant, overlooking Leeds & Liverpool Canal, serves a selection of modern British dishes in the heart of the city. Our team of award-winning chefs skillfully prepare innovative dishes using locally sourced, high-quality ingredients. The a la carte menu changes seasonally and the Market Menu changes once a week, to offer choice and quality at exceptional value. City Cafe is the ideal destination for: Corporate or individual breakfasts Business lunches Alfresco dining Private and semi-private dining Restaurant dining Afternoon Tea
Wigan, United Kingdom
“Excellent meal deal with a glass a wine thrown in!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

We visited the city cafe at Leeds when we stopped at the double tree.
The evening meal deal was just £13.95 for a two course meal with a glass of house wine included.
Although the first course was a little slow in coming the food was worth the wait and I would recommend.
The place was nice but not over elaborate.
Overall a good value deal - the service was probably slow due to a function taking place in another room.

• Visited June 2013

UK
“Reasonable food, but quite expensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

City Cafe was very quiet when I visited, with just three other tables occupied, so service was excellent.

The menu had a good choice of main courses, but there wasn't much to choose from as a starter.

I had the chargrilled hamburger and it was reasonable good, but came with only a small number of fries. Overall I felt I had paid more than it was worth.

This place probably has more atmosphere at the weekends or if you are part of a large group. It felt too quiet for me on a Thursday evening.

Visited April 2013
London, England, United Kingdom
“Unacceptly Poor Quality Food for Dinner, breakfast is OK”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

I understand that as a hotel restaurant City Cafe would be expensive - but poor food is unacceptable. We've been staying at the DoubleTree by Hilton for a few weeks and have ordered room service several times (which has been OK, if a little inconsistent), so we decided to go down and try out the restaurant.

Well, I'm sad to say that it was really quite disappointing. The service was great (it is a Hilton, after all). The good was far from it. We ordered Linguine with Prawns, and no matter what the chef said, the prawns were freezer prawns and the linguine was all broken. When we asked, the chef said the linguine is made fresh everyday and breaks sometimes. What?! It's not linguine if it's 1 inch long!! And then, there were 5 baby prawns in the entire dish, which was under seasoned. Worst of all, the chef actually forgot to give us rocket (which the linguine came with) and we had to ask for it separately.

For the disappointing food, it was overpriced at £16.95 for each pasta - but the waiter was very friendly and did not add the discretionary service charge to the bill. In retrospect, though, we should have refused to eat the pasta on principle - it was just bad.

Sorry - money and service are a different matter, but if a restaurant does not serve good food, it can't get a good rating.

However, I MUST add that breakfast at City Cafe is above the average breakfast you will get at any other Leeds Hotel.

• Visited February 2013
London, United Kingdom
“The changes are bad but the old team keep the standards up”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

Before I review let me just say this in regards to previous reviews: This is a hotel restaurant/bar therefore it is inherently going to be 'overpriced' as such. Also for those without a basic knowledge of the English language the menus/bills explicitly state that there is a DISCRETIONARY service charge, it is at your discretion whether you pay it or not. Therefore not a forced extra as others have stated.

SERVICE: Ok, the service could have been very good; when I spoke to individual staff memebers they seemed very nice and professional but the problem is there is a dire lack of staff. I sat down for a drink in the bar before going through to the restaurant. It is supposed to be a table service bar but everyone had to go to the bar to order as there was only 1 bar man on.

FOOD: I ordered off the market menu which changes twice weekly using a toptable offer of 2 courses for £10 before 7:00 (saving me £5.50). Normally such menus are effectively 'specials' menus, getting rid of bits and bats that the kitchen has left over. But bloody hell the food I had was absolutely outstanding, beyond delicious, one of the best meals I've had in ages. I enjoyed my starter so much I had it again instead of a dessert!

ATMOSPHERE: Restaurant is partitioned off into different sections with only the front section being used. The back of the restaurant has better views and more windows but had already been set up for breakfast so I couldn't sit there. Also with only 2 waiters working it would probably be hard for them to work across. The ambiance is lovely, background music subtle and relaxing. However it is very obviously set up as a business restaurant i.e. very quiet and most tables set for one I enjoyed this anyway as I dined alone and read a book in peace but if you are with are group of people it may seem a little too quiet.

CHANGES: The hotel has changed over from being a City Inn/Mint Hotel to a Hilton. For some reason most people think this is a good thing but it has had many negative changes on the food and beverage service. Some of which include: wine menu cut drastically, hardly any wines available by the glass. The amazing whisky library is gone. Premium spirits in the bar have been removed so you are paying £8/9 for a cocktail which is marred by the fact it has been made with house pours rather than top end liquor. The Hilton doesn't allow for good quality ingredients for the bar either so rather than a real vanilla pod in my cocktail they had to use vanilla syrup - still nice but it lacks finesse. If you haven't been since the hotel has changed hands, you will be disappointed with the changes. Food seems to be of the same standards but as the old team move on I think this will change to and it will become typical Hilton hotel food, which isn't terrible but it isn't as good as Mint hotel was.

Still overall very good, I will definitely be visiting again.

• Visited September 2012
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Simpley the Best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

I went for a meal here with the girls i work with i recommend this place having eaten here before and what can i say they came up trumps again and did not let me down.
we had the £40.00 per couple menu with a bottle of wine which had a excellent choice on the menu my work mates where well impressed with the canal views/boats.
I would like to thank christoff (our waiter) for great service and we asked him to thank the chef for such a nice meal on our behalf the chef roger then came to our table and shook our hands it was a nice touch to thank him personally keep up the good work.

• Visited August 2012