“Simpley the Best” 5 of 5 bubbles

City Cafe
Ranked #464 of 1,791 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: British, European
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Awarded the 2014 'Best Hotel Restaurant in Yorkshire' at the Oliver Awards and achieving the 2014 TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence, City Cafe restaurant, overlooking Leeds & Liverpool Canal, serves a selection of modern British dishes in the heart of the city. Our team of award-winning chefs skillfully prepare innovative dishes using locally sourced, high-quality ingredients. The a la carte menu changes seasonally and the Market Menu changes once a week, to offer choice and quality at exceptional value. City Cafe is the ideal destination for: Corporate or individual breakfasts Business lunches Alfresco dining Private and semi-private dining Restaurant dining Afternoon Tea
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Simpley the Best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

I went for a meal here with the girls i work with i recommend this place having eaten here before and what can i say they came up trumps again and did not let me down.
we had the £40.00 per couple menu with a bottle of wine which had a excellent choice on the menu my work mates where well impressed with the canal views/boats.
I would like to thank christoff (our waiter) for great service and we asked him to thank the chef for such a nice meal on our behalf the chef roger then came to our table and shook our hands it was a nice touch to thank him personally keep up the good work.

1 Thank deano223

Leeds, UK
“Overrated? Expensive food and drink and average service.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

My wife and I had lunch outside the city cafe yesterday (Wednesday) lunchtime. It was sunny and warm so there were a few other tables occupied and it was good to be able to enjoy the sun in Leeds. We ordered the "Silver Platter" and a couple of drinks (lime&soda and a pint of lager shandy) at the bar and were told that they'd all be brought to our table. We took a copy of the menu to remind ourselves what came with our platter and took our seats outside.
After around 10 minutes our drinks were brought out, around ten minutes after that the food arrived. On delivering our drinks, the waitress asked whether we still needed the menu, to which we replied that we did - she took it anyway promising to return it in a couple of minutes, she didn't. When the food arrived we had to ask if we could have our menu back and it was eventually returned. The food was brought out on a large tray and placed near us by one of the staff. She then wandered off, leaving someone else to actually bring it to our table. I'm not sure why the original member of staff couldn't have gone the extra 2 metres but as it was our food was left out in the open air for an unnecessary couple of minutes.
Once we got to it, the food was ok. Really nice lamb kofte, an ok but really, very greasy margharita pizza, literally 6 chips, some over seasoned potato wedges and a couple of bits of fish in batter. It was all a bit greasy and there were no condiments or ketchup around.
I feel I also have to mention that City Cafe charge £4.20 for a pint of lager shandy! Four Pounds Twenty Pence, for a pint of shandy!! They also levy a 10% service charge irrespective of how well you were served.

I think it's fair to say that we won't be rushing back here.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, very good £40 deal.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

We were staying at the Double Tree for the night and saw a 3 courses + bottle of wine for 2 for £40 so we took that offer. We were seated immediately, opposite a party of 10 (they were rather loud) despite the restaurant being almost empty. Georgina was lovely, I think she was suffering a bit with a cough and cold but her service was excellent. We were told that with the deal we could have a bottle of white, rose or red. We had the rose and it was lovely. Our orders came quickly and the starter was very good (corned beef hash topped with bacon, topped with a fried egg) Both of us enjoyed our mains (shepherds pie and "posh" fish, chips and peas). Only suggestion would be to make the slice of chocolate tart slightly bigger....a slice the width of my thumb nail doesn't really give me a taste! But overall, excellent restaurant. Will definitely come here again!

1 Thank Marie G
cheshire UK
“Fine - but compulsory 10% service charge”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2012

We had a quick, if expensive, meal here at 9pm one night. There is a short-cut for walkers from the city centre: walk through the large. illuminated arches / tunnel walkway off Neville Street, which is down the side of the large, landmark Queens Hotel on City Square.

Good first impressions, with polite staff. It was peak time Saturday, but not at all crowded - I'd booked that day by phone, expecting it to be really busy, but the City Cafe restaurant was only 10% full as far as I could tell. (The main bar was heaving, though.) Maybe it only gets full for the special value pre-theatre menu.

We just had a main meal of steak with chips, and it was fine and well presented. Expecting smallish portions, we were surprised by a pretty large (8oz?) steak, cooked as we asked. Not melt-in-mouth, but certainly not chewy. Good chips in a tiny tower formation.

We couldn't manage a dessert course, so got the bill. This is where I got a bit wound up. I knew I'd read a TripAdvisor Leeds restaurant review complaining of a compulsory service charge, but I couldn't remember which one, having read for hours. So I was not impressed for a £7 charge (£14 is not a bad hourly rate?) for 30 minutes' service - we'd had 2 drinks each and a main course. There was then a bit of a battle between customer and waiter as I explained I'd like to choose rather than be coerced. The reply was that the charge was all part of the terms & conditions of the hotel. Nowhere on the Hilton website can I find this, although a global Google search finds a few Hilton discretionary - yes, discretionary - service charges. This extra charge wasn't mentioned when I booked by phone, and I don't think it's shown for Hilton online bookings. (I wonder why not.)

After a bit of face-pulling, the bill was finally taken away and eventually recalculated and we were able to leave.

So, quite a good night/meal, slightly marred by the sting in the tail. It's the principle !

We had one glass of wine, two Campari-sodas, one martini & lemonade, plus steak and chips each; no additional veg or extras. £65-70.

• Visited March 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Good menu, fantastic food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

Really good inventive menu, with a few well priced favorites thrown in for good measure - the fish and chips are amazing!!

This was our second visit and my only niggle this time was that my dish (venison) which was one of the most expensive on the menu, whilst overall fantastic in flavour and presentation was a little on the cold side, also in contrast the wine wasn't chilled enough (sounds picky but at £30 a bottle it needs to be right) :-(, the stater was lush though.

Both times we've gone we've also thought that the service could do to match the standard of the food and menu. It's a little slow and not right on the ball, for instance when you pile in on a cold February night you expect front of house to offer to take your coats and scarves not leave it to the waitress to step in when they see you struggling at the table.

That said lovely setting (probably better for group outings rather than romantic rendezvous though), great player on the Leeds restaurant scene.

• Visited February 2012