“Excellent food, very good £40 deal.”
Review of City Cafe

City Cafe
Ranked #465 of 1,838 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Awarded the 2014 'Best Hotel Restaurant in Yorkshire' at the Oliver Awards and achieving the 2014 TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence, City Cafe restaurant, overlooking Leeds & Liverpool Canal, serves a selection of modern British dishes in the heart of the city. Our team of award-winning chefs skillfully prepare innovative dishes using locally sourced, high-quality ingredients. The a la carte menu changes seasonally and the Market Menu changes once a week, to offer choice and quality at exceptional value. City Cafe is the ideal destination for: Corporate or individual breakfasts Business lunches Alfresco dining Private and semi-private dining Restaurant dining Afternoon Tea
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, very good £40 deal.”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We were staying at the Double Tree for the night and saw a 3 courses + bottle of wine for 2 for £40 so we took that offer. We were seated immediately, opposite a party of 10 (they were rather loud) despite the restaurant being almost empty. Georgina was lovely, I think she was suffering a bit with a cough and cold but her service was excellent. We were told that with the deal we could have a bottle of white, rose or red. We had the rose and it was lovely. Our orders came quickly and the starter was very good (corned beef hash topped with bacon, topped with a fried egg) Both of us enjoyed our mains (shepherds pie and "posh" fish, chips and peas). Only suggestion would be to make the slice of chocolate tart slightly bigger....a slice the width of my thumb nail doesn't really give me a taste! But overall, excellent restaurant. Will definitely come here again!

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Marie G

cheshire UK
“Fine - but compulsory 10% service charge”
Reviewed March 5, 2012

We had a quick, if expensive, meal here at 9pm one night. There is a short-cut for walkers from the city centre: walk through the large. illuminated arches / tunnel walkway off Neville Street, which is down the side of the large, landmark Queens Hotel on City Square.

Good first impressions, with polite staff. It was peak time Saturday, but not at all crowded - I'd booked that day by phone, expecting it to be really busy, but the City Cafe restaurant was only 10% full as far as I could tell. (The main bar was heaving, though.) Maybe it only gets full for the special value pre-theatre menu.

We just had a main meal of steak with chips, and it was fine and well presented. Expecting smallish portions, we were surprised by a pretty large (8oz?) steak, cooked as we asked. Not melt-in-mouth, but certainly not chewy. Good chips in a tiny tower formation.

We couldn't manage a dessert course, so got the bill. This is where I got a bit wound up. I knew I'd read a TripAdvisor Leeds restaurant review complaining of a compulsory service charge, but I couldn't remember which one, having read for hours. So I was not impressed for a £7 charge (£14 is not a bad hourly rate?) for 30 minutes' service - we'd had 2 drinks each and a main course. There was then a bit of a battle between customer and waiter as I explained I'd like to choose rather than be coerced. The reply was that the charge was all part of the terms & conditions of the hotel. Nowhere on the Hilton website can I find this, although a global Google search finds a few Hilton discretionary - yes, discretionary - service charges. This extra charge wasn't mentioned when I booked by phone, and I don't think it's shown for Hilton online bookings. (I wonder why not.)

After a bit of face-pulling, the bill was finally taken away and eventually recalculated and we were able to leave.

So, quite a good night/meal, slightly marred by the sting in the tail. It's the principle !

We had one glass of wine, two Campari-sodas, one martini & lemonade, plus steak and chips each; no additional veg or extras. £65-70.

• Visited March 2012
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Good menu, fantastic food”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Really good inventive menu, with a few well priced favorites thrown in for good measure - the fish and chips are amazing!!

This was our second visit and my only niggle this time was that my dish (venison) which was one of the most expensive on the menu, whilst overall fantastic in flavour and presentation was a little on the cold side, also in contrast the wine wasn't chilled enough (sounds picky but at £30 a bottle it needs to be right) :-(, the stater was lush though.

Both times we've gone we've also thought that the service could do to match the standard of the food and menu. It's a little slow and not right on the ball, for instance when you pile in on a cold February night you expect front of house to offer to take your coats and scarves not leave it to the waitress to step in when they see you struggling at the table.

That said lovely setting (probably better for group outings rather than romantic rendezvous though), great player on the Leeds restaurant scene.

• Visited February 2012
Harrogate, U.K.
“Nearly perfect”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Spent a lot of time researching restaurants in Leeds for a dinner for two on a Saturday night, found so many places that were fully booked, Leeds is obviously a busy place on a Saturday! Followed a local magazine review that recommended City Cafe, and happened to be staying in the neighbouring hotel, so seemed the perfect spot. First impressions were good, tables are set beautifully, we were guided to a window seat overlooking the canal and left with our menus. Our waiter, Calum, was attentive, but not intrusive, and was very knowledgeable about the both the wines and meals that we chose. My partner chose a starter of little bites of meat, game and caviar, which she loved, I opted for the quail, which had some nice textures and flavours, even if it wasn't entirely obvious what I was eating at any given time. Main courses were superb, my venison was the best dish I've experienced in a long time, and we finished off with cheesecake and coffee, which were again excellent. The only tiny niggle was that, as the restaurant became busy the waiting staff became rushed, so it took a few minutes of trying to catch their eye before someone brought over our bill. Overall, though, absolutely wonderful. £100 for 2 x 3 courses, glass of champagne each, bottle of mid-value wine.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank kenandcath
Linton-on-Ouse, United Kingdom
“Quality food, well worth a visit”
Reviewed February 5, 2012

I have to confess, we visited City Cafe on a toptable deal and what a deal it was. Two courses each and a bottle of wine for £30. By my reckoning that was about half the 'published' price in the menu. But don't get me wrong, whilst that was a fantastic deal, based on my experience I would have quite happily paid full price.

The food was fantastic, with some exquisite flavours and interestin combinations, whilst the house red was very palatable. The service was slightly formal, but that's not neccessarily a bad thing.

Centrally located, with an additional roof top bar where the 'Leeds Beautiful People' hang out, this is an excellent find and great for if your planning a night out in the town.

• Visited January 2012