Tripadvisor
Leeds
All reviews towels provided rooms are basic saturday night university ensuite pounds hairdryer headingley
Selected filters
Reviewed December 20, 2019

Literally stayed for a gig, Owner was nice upon arrival but I found it weird that we had to pay before even seeing the room....once we got up to the room we were mortified. Stains all over the walls and windows had a sticky white substance all over it along with the curtains (dread to think what it was) The toilet was a lot cleaner until i bent down to pick up my washing and saw under the sink. I think they literally just put new bedding on and charged us £70! We got over the initial state of the place and began focussing on how cold the room was, we were warmer in the corridor. We called the bell & asked the owner to put on the heating which he "apparently" did...heaters were still cold to the touch after an hour so I decided to ask a second time yet we had to leave for the gig at this point it was finally turned on and we were hopeful to coming back to a warm room but clearly once we left it was turned off. We got back and it was like setting foot into the north pole we were both shaking and stuttering it was horrendous my feet were blue and our fingers physically hurt we were trying to last the night to get our moneys worth as the owner was long gone by this point but we couldn't torture ourselves any longer and my father had to come all the way from york to pick us up at 2AM!!! I am now in my warm bed and very sick, thank you..

Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed December 13, 2019 via mobile

Stayed here for one night. As it was a cheap and cheerful price I wasn’t expecting much, however it was awful ! Had to ring someone to let us in. Manager then tried to tell me we hadn’t paid and wanted me to pay again ! I had booked through Booking.com for bed and breakfast and paid when I booked. After several conversations and showing him proof I had paid already he made a phone call and had to accept I had paid. He grudgingly showed us to our room, and he didn’t hide he was not happy I refused to pay again. It was clean but very dated and in need of a lot of TLC. Bed was very uncomfortable and the duvet on the bed was very thin. Shower room was clean. Towels were not great either. After our night at a gig we went back to the room. Lots of noise both in the street and in the guest house. Next morning we were downstairs for just after 08:15 and the dining room was locked. I called a number on the wall to get the manager but no answer. Tried several times and gave up. Went back to our room and got our bags and left. I’ve written an email of complaint to both the guest house and booking.com and not had a reply from either ! My advice is do not go here. There’s better places to stay in Leeds and worth the extra you will pay.

Reviewed December 12, 2019

The room was tiny and very dated, but I expected that from the photos online. It did have a TV, private toilet and shower, there was plenty of hot water first thing in the morning and the room was was nice and warm.
Now the bad points. Guests kept arriving back late at night (up to 3am) and they were fairly noisy. The doors were pretty noisy too, so I didn't get o sleep until about 4am. At 6:00am I was woken by the police banging on my door. There had been a "serious incident" during the night and they were searching all the rooms looking for someone.
When it came to breakfast time there were no staff and no food, so I checked out by handed the room key to the police who were still there and left to find some food.
I guess the police incident doesn't happen every night, but the disturbed nights sleep means I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

Reviewed December 1, 2019

First looked at booking this hotel and it was £50 for the two of us but held off until we knew what we were doing but also because I had emailed the guest house directly off their website asking a few questions. I never got a response at all from them. From that, I should've taken the hint that this place is a dive.

When we arrived, we were stood outside ringing the doorbell and knocking and it seemed a long time before anyone came to answer the door. Eventually we got in and were stood in the lobby whilst the man rang someone to see whether we were booked in and if so, what room number - strange way to run a business. Eventually got the key to room 3 and stood awkwardly in there whilst he waited to take payment. Neither of us needed to say a word to each other to know what the other thought... it is that much of dump. I mean, clean. But when your first words are "we aren't having breakfast here" come out, you know you don't FEEL clean being there. I think the only thing that made us not go back out and demand a refund was the fact you could tell the bed sheets had just been pulled out a bag and put on so it was clear they were clean. If only we knew.........

We had to go straight out to get some concert tickets so we didn't hang around much more to see what else could possibly be wrong. But when we came back, it was just about time to get ready to go to the gig. My partner went to have a shower which was freezing cold, no hot water coming out at all. He decided to just wash in the sink. No hot water there either. So he then had the fight with filling up the cup in the sink to fill the kettle, the cup was too big to fit under the tap - so how do you make tea/coffee in your room without it turning into WWE?

We got back to the room later that night and as much as we were buzzing from the concert, we wanted sleep. We had had a long day, long drive and an excitable evening. Imagine then having screaming people outside the place - okay, not the guest house fault and it is to be expected within a university area but £60 a night when Premier Inn are similar prices and you barely hear a noise outside of the rooms? Come on, maybe drop it down to £50 again and it is a more forgivable.

But let's not forget how FREEZING cold I was all night. Wrapped up in the quilt like a fajita (...burrito, whichever you prefer) and at one point I was that close to my partner that if I had the opportunity to have been IN his carcass, I would've been - disgusting but you have to do what you have to do in survival mode. Winter, Avalon. It is Winter. Got in bed and it was like laying in the snow in the middle of the Antartica.

Like a normal human, I went to the toilet, grabbed some loo roll and nearly went flying as the toilet seat slipped - didn't even have to reach far for the loo roll!!!!! It just went... slip... and I was a goner.

As mentioned above, we were avoiding the breakfast. And going by the other reviews, I'm glad we did. McDonalds sorted that out. But checking out... we didn't see anyone for it. Rang the bell, called through the dining room, then I thought to myself "no wonder you wanted payment on arrival". Eventually got through on the phone to be told to leave the key in a certain place. Thank you for giving us business, I'll say it for you.

I don't need to answer the question on whether we would stay again. Or whether we would recommend it. It could be a lovely place. But it all needs ripping out and updating, more heating installed and better customer service skills. Writing on the walls, dirty down them which they've attempted to paint over, etc. It could be a nice place with a lot going for it. And I'm sure the owners are "proud" for whatever reasons but I certainly wouldn't be.

It is probably okay for students who are happy to have anywhere to crash out as long as there's a bed at the end of their heavy night out. But for people like us who went with intentions of going out to a gig and coming back "early-ish", give it a wide birth. We spotted the Premier Inn literally just opposite the Students Union venue for gigs and the O2 Academy isn't far from there either.

Avalon Guest House should be remaned Avalanche Guest House.

Date of stay: November 2019
3  Thank Natashaw1993
Reviewed December 1, 2019 via mobile

Very basic..Had to make a phone call for someone to open the door!
Arrived early, got the key but room wasn't ready.
Return later to see what it was like.
Quiet dirty, walls had graffiti on it, bed lights were only just hanging on.
This was a one night stay after a concert in the O2 Arena, so was close enough to walk back, free parking and price was our selection criteria.
A cold breakfast was offered which we declined. We left early as there was no heating in the room.
Would we recommend? NO WAY!
A few more pounds is well worth spending for better accommodation.
Not sure how reliable the better reviews are.