“Very nice stay”
Review of Avalon Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Leeds
Avalon Guest House
Ranked #12 of 25 Leeds B&B and Inns
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Very nice stay”
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Stayed here as it was close to Park Lane Campus of Leeds City College where i was doing some work. had previously stayed at the Ibis which was like being a battery hen in a pod. The guest house is very clean. double rooms have small flat screen TVs and en suit bathroom. the team are extremely friendly and helpful. Breakfast is a bit plain (3 bacon, 1 sausage, 1 egg and beans) but its piping hot and served very quickly with as much toast and juice as you want. In short its not the ritz but has a much friendlier feel than a faceless hotel. Clean, Tidy, Good solid breakfast and friendly people. Oh, and off road parking too. I'll be back

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank stokepa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2011

I arrived on a Sunday and explained that I wanted to stay for 10 nights. I chose it because of the proximity to Leeds Business School were i was going to do some work. I needed a place close by. I asked if I could pay upfront but the receptionist insisted I pay on the final day. Like previous reviews indicated, most staff could not speak English so communication was a nightmare. After 30 minutes of trying to explain what I wanted,I was finally taken to a room. The sheets were smelling (think they had not been changed from previous night).The toilet had not been cleaned well. The hot water in the shower was not working. I still cannot believe I chose to stay after these initial observations!!! Anyway, the following morning I was not expecting much but was unprepared for the horror that turned out to be breakfast. I opted to skip it after seeing a waiter clean the cups with a bed sheet picked up from a heap of bedding. On the third day 3 different people asked if I could pay on a daily basis. Eventually, the owner her self phoned to ask for payment. By that point i had had it!!! I paid up and made my exit. I would not wish my experience on anyone else. Dirty rooms, bad service and rude people all round (receptionist to owner).

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank Anakonda2

Travelers are raving about these Leeds hotels

Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2011

I stayed here with 2 of my friends while we attended a festival at the Uni.
I have to say after always staying in the Etap hotel this hotel was amazing compared to that one.

The location was fantastic, the staff were friendly and we understood them perfectly well.

Our room wasnt ready when we arrived but they made us feel welcome and showed us into the dining room while they got it ready. 10 minutes later the room was ready and the young man showed us up to our room. My suitcase was heavy so the guy took it off me and carried it up all the stairs.
The room was tidy and well set out and the bed was really comfy. not your typical hard as a rock bed you usually get in a hotel. I had one of the best nights sleep here.

I would deffo stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank EmLouise182
Reviewed May 1, 2011

I was reminded of one of my favourite episodes of Fawlty Towers when Mrs Richardson (hearing aids...remember.?!) stayed at the hotel.

Firstly we stayed at the guest house for a night out in leeds city centre. I suppose its not too far but its still a taxi journey away. As we pulled onto the street we were presented with an alcoholic vagrant who was having some sort of tantrum/seizure outside an off-licence. The area is in the heart of the student district and there some unusual people walking around!

We arrived at the 4*/rosette or similar establishment (clearly displaying poor integrity of the awarding body) and were met with the proprietors/staff unfortunately there was an instant language barrier as the hotel is ran by an asian family and we had to explain that we had pre-booked the rooms after several minutes of the receptionist repeating '6' and we awkwardly claimed that there were only 4 of us, it then became apparent that another member of staff spoke a little bit more english than his colleague and was able to tell us that he was trying to put us in room number 6. This was hilarious however the staff member did not see the humourous side and started cursing in his first language. Quite rude to say the least.

I have to say rooms were basic, but for the price i was quite impressed with the cleanliness. The beds were awful they were very firm and the sheets were starchy, the decor wasnt brilliant either.

Now for the breakfast, unfortunately i am quite a fussy eater and prefer a simple bacon butty rather than the full english. The dining room was very clean and there was teas and coffees supplied no alternative cereals but once again you have to remember the price £25. I had already told the waiter (the receptionist from the previous day) that i only wanted a bacon sandwich, after a couple of minutes explaining (with hand signals) my request, the interpreter returned and i placed the order. Service was quick but i was presented with a plate with one sausage and about 6 rashers of bacon. It was hilarious! Rather than insult the man i decided to tuck in regardless, worse bacon ever!

I have stayed in many b&bs in my youth around various cities in England and on each outing the worse the accomodation the better the memories. I have also travelled to numerous developing countries on my ski excursions however a simple phrase book usually rectifies these minor problems.

If you want to stay at this hotel an interpreter is advisable!

• Stayed April 2011
2 Thank Jlsfan1976
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2011

i stayed the avalon guest house for one night for the visit to leeds university.
i got a warm welcome and the room was nice and clean.

The worst part was breakfast time.
I was offered an english breakfast from 7:30 to 8:30.

The breakfast was served by an old guy wearing some dirty clothes and he was really rushing and he took the coffee pot and orange juice before I could finish.He was loudly talking some other language to the staffs.

The overall stay was good but the breakfast was a disappointment.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank kiakenady
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2010

We stayed at the Avalon Guest for 2 nights pre Xmas shopping, We had a very nice welcome even though we arived at noon, But our roooms were ready so we got of to a good start, There are a good selection of eating places 15/20 walk for your evening meal at night, we walked down the hill ( 5 mins) to a take away and the Manager allowed us to take it back to the guest house where he had set up a table for us to use.
Being o,a.p s we came back early on the second day 3 pm and the rooms were cold but on seeing us the Manager put the heating on early so we were soon warm.
It cost us( 4 persons ) 5 pounds to get into the town centre by taxi but there is a local bus service close by and taxis are very easy to get.
We paid 45 pounds per room per night FOR 2 including a BIG BREAKFAST and worth every penny .Its 30 pound cheaper than Travel Lodge & Premier inn and no breakfast included

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends