“Excellent.... In the end!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Queens - Leeds

The Queens - Leeds
Ranked #10 of 86 Hotels in Leeds
lincs
“Excellent.... In the end!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2011

On arrival the hotel was very busy, but it was the weekend before Christmas. We had to wait 20mins in the car for valet parking.
Once inside we were impressed with the entrance and decor. Checked in, to our horror it eS an awfull room, smelly, fusty, very small. I rang down to reception to see if we could be moved. The only rooms available was a suite on the top floor, it would be an additional £40.00 per night , we were staying fir and sat night. We agreed and to our delight the room was wonderful. Separate lounge area, fabulous bathroom. Bedroom a delight, truly lovely room. With our upgrade we were en-titled to a free bar on the top floor from 6pm to 8pm, we went along before going out for the evening. It was a disgrace, a messy self service room, with only tea and coffee and cookies, crumbs all over the table, a mess. So we left the hotel for our evening meal.
Breakfast the next day was lovely, a full English if required, nice staff.
When we checked out after our stay we told reception about the messy bar and lack of drinks, we were told , sorry madam the staff must of forgot to put out the alcohol!!
I have complained in writing to the manager 2weeks ago , and I am still awaiting a reply which is a shame as we had a nice stay other than that.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (612)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Halifax, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2010

Attended a Christmas function at the hotel so decided to stay over. We booked a Q Club double but was offered an upgrade to a suite on check-in and were so pleased we did. The suite was so comfortable and spacious it made our stay all the more pleasant and we even had a late check-out! All the staff throughout the hotel were extremely professional - very impressive for a city centre hotel on probably the busiest night of the year. Will always stay at The Queens on future stop-overs in Leeds.....

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this review, January 21, 2011
Dear Yorkshireclaret.1

Thank you for your kind review of our fabulous hotel, I am delighted that you experienced an enjoyable stay with us. I am also thrilled that you were able to experience QClub, our brand new executive floor – it’s an absolute treat isn’t it and a perfect early Christmas present.
We very much hope that you will return to the hotel, we enjoyed having you as our guests.

Warmest regards

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2010

The location and hotel was excellent. We were made to feel welcome from the start to the end of our stay by all staff. We loved the art deco decour throughout the hotel and in the rooms. An added bonus was that we arrived early but our room was ready and we were able to access it immediately.

We ill definitely be returning, and can't wait to visit again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this review, December 16, 2010
Thank you for such fantastic feedback, it’s always nice to know that our guests had a thoroughly enjoyable stay with us, I will certainly pass on your thoughts to our team who always do their utmost to ensure our guests expectations are exceeded and it is good to hear that they have succeeded.

I do hope that you return to The Queens and when you do, please contact me personally and remind me that you scored us so highly and I will do what I can to further enhance your stay.

Warm regards
tunbridge wells
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2010

It's the kid with second hand clothes in the school playground. Rooms were blessed with fag burns in the linen and mattress. One colleague had burns in the net curtains. Yes I said "net curtains". If you love 1930 architecture then this hotel maybe for you. If you like heating that works, pocket sprung beds that are less than 5 years old, carpet that you are happy to walk on bare foot, and a thermostat that works in your shower then this hotel is not for you. Location is brilliant however, there's even a private door from the station concourse into the hotel. And the food was okay. If you do end up here, avoid the 4th floor - rooms are really shabby. If however you want a hotel in an exceptional location and want a luxurious room, then there is always the top floor of the hotel which looked lovely, with a private lounge. However you would not want to spend any time in other communal areas of the hotel.

Dear lenemk

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Queens and I thank you for your particular comments on the standard of the room you stayed in, which was a particular concern to me.

Over the last 5 years, we have spent over £10million on The Queens and touched almost every nook and cranny. I would be grateful if you could contact me personally with your actual room number to kharrison@qhotels.co.uk. As you have seen we have recently invested a further £500,000 to create the QClub floor and private executive lounge on the top floor so we take the upkeep and maintenance of our hotel extremely seriously and will definitely look further into the issues you have raised.

Thank you once again and I hope it hasn’t tainted your view of the hotel when staying in the city in future.

Kind regards
sheffield
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2010

Despite making it clear we had 2 young children when booking we were placed in a room directly above the function rooms which were being used for a disco for the two nights of our stay, we were not told of these at time of booking. Reception said the music would stop at 2am, it didn't, it was 2.30 THEN we had to endure over an hour of furniture moving and dragging. When complaining the following morning we were told another room would be found, money taken from our bill, a free bottle of wine and a kids platter provided. Lovely, thank you. Except when we returned to the hotel at 3pm as the kids were so tired after their terrible night they needed a nap (we were unable to do as much as we wanted on that day), the room was not ready. A short wait and we were in, however no wine OR platter for the kids ever appeared, when this was mentioned at checkout we got an' oh well I'm sure it was mentioned to Chef' and £50 off the bill, all this for the worst hotel night in our lives and a rather ruined stay due to tiredness. The Hotel itself looked great and food was good but if mistakes are made surely after care should be better?

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Dear FauveSheffield

Thank you for posting your comments about your recent stay at The Queens and I’m very sorry that it didn’t go exactly as you planned. Unfortunately due to the festive period there are a number of Christmas functions taking place within the hotel and although we do endeavour to ensure our guests are not disturbed, it appears on this occasion that we were unsuccessful.

I can only apologise again for the obvious breakdown in communication regarding the complimentary items, however I understand that by way of compensation you were refunded £50 from your bill which hopefully has gone some way to compensate for the disruption. On a more positive note, I am pleased to hear that we were able to accommodate you in a much quieter room on the second night.

Once again, thank you for your comments and feedback and we hope that when you’re next in the city of Leeds that you consider coming back to stay with us.

Yours sincerely

carlisle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2010

Stayed at this hotel earlier in the year and was disappointed - However this time I stayed in a q type room which could not be faulted -absolutely lovely with a beautiful bathroom. The q rooms allow access to the lounge where complimentary drinks and snacks are served- totally relaxing. Early evening wine and beer are served and we were made to feel very welcome by the young guy serving us. We had continental breakfast in the lounge as well and once again the guy serving us could not be faulted. I forgot my handbag and he brought it to my room for me- he also deserves a pat on the back . I normally stay at the City Inn ,but next time I am in Leeds I will definitely stay at the Queens on the top floor. Definitely felt 5 star!

• Stayed December 2010
Dear Laulaucarlisle

I am absolutely delighted that we were able to make amends for your previous stay and thrilled that you had an enjoyable stay with us on the QClub floor; it’s a treat isn’t it! I speak on behalf of myself and the team when I say thank you very much for your comments and it goes without saying that I will pass on your kind words to the team.

Warm regards

Weybridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2010

Very friendly and attentive staff in this well-run hotel ideally placed in the centre next to Leeds station