“The Queens is no better or worse than OK”
Review of The Queens - Leeds

The Queens - Leeds
Ranked #16 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed May 20, 2010

I was on business in Leeds and my company booked me into The Queens Hotel. Let me first say that I was given no reasons to be hugely critical, but also can't find reasons to provide the hotel with a glowing report - it was just OK....

Lets start with the positives;

- extremely well located in the centre of Leeds and less than 2 minutes walk from the main railway station.
- The hotel (and my room) was clean.
- The service from the staff was really good. They were welcoming, warm, and more than happy to help & assist. In fact, this is the best thing about The Queens.

Now for the things that weren't so good;

- The rooms were pretty unextraordinary. Decor was dark and my room just looked a bit tired and drab.
- Ate dinner in the bar which was quite expensive & and nothing to write home about. Service was good but I the following day I noticed that a 10% service charge had been added to the bill and this didn't exactly bring a smile to my face.
- Good variety of breakfast options but the English Breakfast buffet wasn't very appetising. The sight of congealed, overcooked baked beans and dry, hard, fried eggs has never really done it for me!...
- Didn't get a good nights sleep and this is my biggest gripe. The room was very hot but the air conditioning worked very well. Unfortunately, I had to switch it off because it was just too noisy. Even though I was on the 5th floor I was woken twice in the wee small hours by the noise of drunken arguments - the windows did not prevent the outside noise from seeming very loud.

At a cost of £79 for a double room on a B&B rate, I think it represents pretty good value for money but, due to the noise alone, would think twice about returning.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Kerhie, Customer Service at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2010

Thank you for you’re raising your concerns, I am sorry that you had a disappointing experience with us, however on a more positive note I am pleased that you found the staff warm, welcoming and more than happy to help and assist.

Customer Service

Write a ReviewReviews (3,378)

Reviewed April 29, 2010

I stayed here with my husband and my elderly mother for one night. From the moment we entered the hotel we were looked after.
The rooms were good (just needed an iron/board). The bar is a good size with comfatable seating and pleasant decor.
Our evening meal was eaten in the restaurant, excellent service again, the food was really good, and everyone was pleased. My mother was unwell but the chef catered for her individual needs.
Breakfast was good. I would not hestiate to stay here again.

Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Kerhie, Customer Service at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2010

Thank you for your positive feedback, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us were well looked after; it’s always nice to receive positive feedback and I will pass on your thoughts to our Chef in particular. We very much look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed April 24, 2010

WOW! My daughter and I stayed in both the Hilton Leeds City and the Queens Hotel within the space of three days. The hotels are within 300m of each other but are light years apart in terms of quality and service. (You might like to check my review of the Hilton on Tripadvisor.)

The Queens is art-nouveau/art-deco elegant, beautifully restored and as quietly efficient an hotel as you could wish for. My only negative is the room rate - but I am comparing that to similar-standard hotels I stay at around S.E. Asia rather than UK hotels. For the UK, the rate (£100 without breakfast)) was pretty good.

The wireless internet was chargeable (£7 per day) but worked well.

The reception and concierge staff were very friendly and helpful. They suggested an excellent nearby restaurant for dinner on the limited brief of "Italian".

The bar is stylish and has the feel of bygone days. I had lunch there and later my daughter and I had cocktails there. Both were very enjoyable.

Since I arrived in Leeds by train and had another train to catch the next morning, the location could not have been better.

An absolute gem of a hotel and something unique.

• Stayed: April 2010
Kerhie, Customer Service at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2010

Thank you for your positive feedback, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our reception and concierge staff friendly and helpful; it’s always nice to receive positive feedback. We very much look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed April 23, 2010

The hotel is actually part of Leeds station so as you come out of the station there it is right in front of you.The hotel was built in 1937 and has been restored to its Art Deco glory.I was on my own but was given a double room which looked out on to City Square.It was nevertheless a quiet room.The room was of a reasonable size,the bathroom was a bit on the small side.I found the bed to be very hard and woke up many times in the night.Strangely no clock in the room and the lights seemed to have a rather unusual way of being switched on.Breakfast was in a basement room.A bit odd as two thirds were brightly lit but one third was very dim.I found it very difficult to read in this area.rather unsatisfactory arrangement.The breakfast was fine the usual full English breakfast.There is free wifi in the room.however if you wanted to use the internet in the business center they wanted to charge £4 for 20minutes and £9 per hour.I found this very irritating.Hotels should include this gratis for guests.The staff were friendly and helpful.If i go to Leeds again i would definately stay at the Queens again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
Kerhie, Customer Service at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2010

Thank you for your positive feedback, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular its location.

Thank you also for raising your concerns, I am sorry that some aspects of the hotel were not as satisfactory, it is extremely important to allow us to develop our product and services to fully understand the perception of our customers both positive and negative to enable praise or remedial action to take place.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed April 20, 2010

A one night stay on business, but found the Grand more than met everything I was looking for. Arrived late, and upgraded to a suite. Distictive and bygone opulent feel about the place - disitinctly art deco on the upper floors. Swift check in and valet parking a joy. Room very comfortable and particularly clean. Restaurant fairly busy but swift, competent and very friendly staff. Dinner absolutely superb. Very comfortable night's sleep followed by a breeze through a full dining room at breakfast. Faultless check out and opened front door to find car ready right outside. Everything very accomplished, but still cheerful and offering a personal touch.

Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Kerhie, Customer Service at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2010

Thank you for your positive feedback, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the hotel very much to your liking, it’s always nice to receive positive comments and I will certainly pass on your thoughts to the team. We very much look forward to welcoming you back very soon. Kind regards Kerhie Harrison Customer Service

Reviewed April 16, 2010

My husband and I have just returned from a two day stay at this hotel and could not fault it. Rooms are adequate in size and have the benefit of a fridge. The ensuite looked as though it had recently been redecorated and had the added bonus of having lovely thick dressing gowns hanging behind the door. Only had breakfast at the hotel but again couldn't fault it. I did notice that another reviewer said that the food was lukewarm but our buffet breakfast was fine. The staff were very helpful and I really loved the decor. We would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Kerhie, Customer Service at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2010

Thank you for your positive feedback, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our staff both friendly and polite. We very much look forward to welcoming you back very soon. Kind regards Kerhie Harrison Customer Service

Reviewed April 13, 2010

I stayed in room 214 which looks out over the main City Square. It was a large room and very quite, although at one point it interconnected to the room next door. The bed was comfortable and the room well furnished. The suitcase stand and tea tray though was wedged tightly against the side of the bed, which given the space in the room was a little strange. The bathroom was a decent size. The room was fairly cold and the aircon was stuck on management control so I couldn't change the settings. the bed was covered in sheets, so I would avoid this hotel if you prefer a duvet. Breakfast was more than adequate but the hot food was lukewarm at best. I found all the staff I encountered to be friendly and polite.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Kerhie, Customer Service at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2010

Thank you for your positive feedback, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us in room 214, particularly as it gave you a wonderful view of City Square; and that you found our staff both friendly and polite. We very much look forward to welcoming you back very soon. Kind regards Kerhie Harrison Customer Service