“Lovely room, good last minute deal but breakfast caotic”
Review of The Queens - Leeds

The Queens - Leeds
Ranked #16 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed May 3, 2009

Booked a last minute deal online with Superbreak for a single room on higher floor, was given a big twin room 427 on 4th floor at rear of hotel- very quiet which is amazing as its right next door to the station. Lovely art deco interior, and room was well equipped, clean, comfy bed, lots of space . Had a knock on the door at 8am, which was the wake up call- nice touch.
Sadly the whole experience was let down by breakfast, what a mess! I went down just before 9am and not one of the twenty or so tables had been cleared, it was like a cheap hostel- staff standing around chatting, tables full of dirty plates, bread rolls, used knapkins- a very ugly sight, even worse when they couldnt find one clean table for me, despite at that time only 2 other tables being used! My appearance seem to gavinise some action, as then I had to eat breakfast with the noise of many tables being cleared all at once. No museli cereal, only bran flakes, all bran and cornflakes, just one large bowl of plain yoghurt- no choice. Tea and toast brought to table okay but toast cold- and hot buffet was lukewarm and dried out.
Whilst I really enjoyed the room, I wouldn't reccomend breakfast unless included. If on room only plenty of nice cafes and take aways very close by.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,379)

Reviewed April 17, 2009

Got a good deal for 2 nights with dinner on first night so wasn't expecting much so was pleasantly surprised
Nice architecture- Art Deco(ish) which has been sympathetically restored and the rooms were very nice
Usual overpriced drinks etc and I wasn't keen on the bar much (nice room but I felt quite characterless). Didn't try room service etc so can't comment.
You also get 2 hours WIFI free but you need to go to reception to register

The Grill (restaurant) was very classy looking and the food on the first night was very good- 3 courses included (yum yum).
Convenient location & we had a nice view over City Square which was nice

Few bad things-
- The classy restaurant was spoiled a bit by people making absolutely no effort to dress up for the evening. I'm aware people don't dress up much but there were people in their work clothes (considering main meals are £12-20 odd pounds I wouldn't expect this!)
I must be old fashioned!!
-Breakfast on the second day was badly serviced and chaotic and after holding my hand up classroom stylie for 5 minutes, I physically had to 'grab' a waiter. Stuff was slowly replenished too, but I have to say the quality was good
- Saturday night in the bar was akin to a drink fest at my local working mens club and not remotely pleasant (particularly the Josef Locke impersonations), forcing me to retire to my room (which is where the WIFI came in!)

But all in all good price, good hotel- one of the best chain hotels I have stayed in for some time

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 11, 2009

I was staying here with my daughter to visit the University of Leeds and wanted a central location, close to restaurants, and especially to the train station. Check-in at 8:30PM went very smoothly, the young woman at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. She arranged for our first night's free dinner at 8:45PM, which I appreciated because I knew it was a bit late to be asking. Overall, the food was very good and the servers professional and charming. The "free" night's dinner consists of a credit of 25 pounds per person, excluding drinks, which I found very correct. I did not like the music though ! Our room was located on the 4th floor and at the far end of the corridor. A large enough twin room, very clean, except for, yes, as some people have already mentioned, a bit of mildew around the windows due to condensation -- also, the sheer curtains could be replaced. But the room and bathroom were sparkling otherwise. The (twin) beds were comfortable and I found the room extremely quiet.

The hotel was within walking distance of everything I needed, including the University (approx. 20 mins). The Leeds City Art Gallery should not be missed.

I really enjoyed my stay in this charming art deco hotel ! The Queen's friendly staff, it's closeness to the rail station (they even have a "secret passage" that connects directly to the station ) full breakfast, clean room with everything that I needed, all at a reasonable price. I would definitely recommend The Queens to a friend.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed February 4, 2009

Well in January 09 we decided to take a weekend break to leeds, after searching around came across the Queens. I can't praise this hotel enough, a nice warm welcoming and a great central location situated right next to the trainstation. The easiest way to find the hotel is follow the signs for the trainstation. There is valet parking although i chose to stay in the trainstations car park - very reasonable. Our room was clean and well furnished. Breakfast was an array of fresh fruit to cereals to full english breakfast. Very reasonably priced and overall a very nice hotel.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank HullElgringo
Reviewed January 28, 2009

I stayed here for five nights at the beginning of January for business. I didn't pay for it myself as my company paid, but I didn't think it was particularly cheap and on balance would have expected just a little bit more for the money and reputation. However, it was, for me, a perfectly comfortable experience overall.

Some thoughts/issues....

After reading on Tripadvisor that some rooms could be noisy depending on whereabouts in the hotel they're situated, I'd asked in advance for a quiet room away from the front of the hotel. When I checked in I asked if I had been allocated a quiet room and was told no, despite the fact the hotel was, according to the receptionist, not at all busy. I thought this odd, but there was no problem in swapping my room for one on the eigth floor, and I had no problems with noise throughout my stay. My minibar was completely empty when I arrived which I put down to the fact they hadn't expected the room to be occupied. But oddly, it stayed empty for another day, and then gradually accumulated a few items - at first only non-alcholic drinks, and then a day later a couple of beers and some snacks. But at no point during my stay was it ever fully stocked. I didn't need it so I didn't bother complaining, but I thought this was very strange and somewhat slack service.

There was the obligatory trouser press lurking in the wardrobe, but no iron and ironing board. I requested one but was told I had to keep returning it after use - I wasn't allowed to hang on for it for the duration of my stay. So rather than doing a load of ironing on my first night, or indeed any night after working very long days, I had to keep asking for it and giving it back, which seemed a bit farcical. The hotel wasn't busy, and surely they've got a reasonable number of irons? Other hotels which cost less per night manage to supply one per room on a permanent basis, and I was disappointed this hotel didn't.

I asked for a wake-up call every morning, but only on the first morning did it happen on time and without any problems. One was eight minutes late, and when I mentioned this to the receptionist, they blamed it on a "slow clock", which is surely a lame excuse for what tries to be a good quality hotel. Without going into boring detail, the wake-up call/ timing of it/ booking of it proceeded to be a problem for the rest of the week. This might seem trivial, but when staying for a week on business and often working 12-hour days, things like irons and wake-up calls feel very important!

The room itself was fine although a bit too dark and the staff tended to set the heating way too hot for my liking - 25C! - although this was adjustable and wasn't an ongoing problem. The decor was average, bed comfortable, the standard hotel fare etc (the hairdryer being attached to the inside of a drawer was slightly irritating but not a big problem). The bathroom was good - bright and clean. Breakfast was decent although when the hotel got busier later in the week, it could take a few minutes to get seated and then asked if you wanted tea/coffee/toast and for that to be served. One morning I noticed the supposedly fresh pineapple was decidedly on the turn having presumably been wheeled out over a few days, but I enjoyed the porridge every morning.

One of the best things about this hotel is its location - right by the station with a passageway connecting the two, and within walking distance of shops, restaurants etc. It was easy to leave my luggage and collect it as I left at the end of my working day, and most of the staff were polite and friendly.

And that's about it. I generally feel underwhelmed by the hotel but it's fine and suited my needs for a business trip. I think if I was travelling for leisure and spending the money myself, I'd prefer to try somewhere else.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Littlecat2
Reviewed January 27, 2009

Went for a weekend in Leeds; not a city either of us know very well, so we chose a hotel close to the station. Very pleased with our choice: pleasant friendly and helpful staff, a fine room, plenty of space and a grand view of the City Square. The hotel is beautifully decked out in Art-Deco design; a pleasure to stay in. Will be back soon.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Duncan-Judy
Reviewed January 5, 2009

I've stayed at this hotel a number of times now, and each stay has been very comfortable. The location is very central (directly next to the train station) and the lobby is quite grand. The rooms are spacious, clean and extremely comfortable. The staff are first class and the rates (if you go to the right website) can be excellent. Fully recommend.

• Stayed: December 2008