“Clean hotel full of character and nice pleasant staff”
Review of The Queens - Leeds

The Queens - Leeds
Ranked #14 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed December 16, 2013

If you like clean line, modern boutique hotels with no character then this hotel is not for you. The hotel has kept it's Art Deco charm and quirkiness. Bedrooms:- Average size, clean and good facilities - fridge, TV, tea/coffee, hairdryer etc. We had a front facing room and did not find it noisy at all, but it was a Sunday night so it might have been quieter than a saturday! Bathrooms:- on the small size, the bath is very small and the plastic shower curtains let it down. Reception:- Friendly and quick check-in. Bar area:- nice, relaxing atmosphere, drinks prices what you'd expect in a hotel. Breakfast:- Amazing! It was one of the best hotel breakfasts I've had. The food was a good quality (no cheap sausages), plenty of choice and attentive staff.
Overall:- The stay was very pleasant, I love the old Art Deco feel of the hotel. The only negative I have was the shower curtain, but in the grand scheme of things this is just a minor niggle.
Would defo recommend if you like oldy worldy hotels!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SFeather
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Dear SFeather

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review, I was delighted to read you had a wonderful stay with us and hope that we will see you soon.

Jacquie Hanson

Write a ReviewReviews (3,398)

Reviewed December 15, 2013

We stayed at the hotel on 21st November we booked nine rooms as we were having a works do in Leeds. On arrival I asked if I could leave a box with them and collect when we return after our night out as the box contained gifts for people. The staff said yes no problem and that the box would be safe as only staff have access to the room. Upon our return that night I asked for the box and when I opened it one of the bottles had been stolen from it. I reported this to the night manager who said if you buy another and get the receipt we will reimburse the cost. The next morning I spoke to the day manager and said I was unhappy to buy another bottle at which time they said would you like us to replace it. Which they did.

It is such a shame of my experience as the hotel was really nice and the rooms where spacious. And the valet parking for £16 is a nice added touch. I would like to return to the hotel however I have had no feedback from the hotel such as telephone call/letter of apology since this which I think is terrible customer service considering one of their staff stole from me.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Dear gary r

I am genuinely saddened that the hotel, on this occasion, was exposed to the elements of a modern society, I'm afraid prudence with regards to personal belongings is sadly required. I do hope that this one off experience has not tainted your view of the hotel and I was pleased to read that we were at least able to replace the item for you.

I hope we get the opportunity to restore your faith and look forward to welcoming you back some time in the future.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

I stayed a night at the Queens and can't wait to return. Hotel staff were very friendly and the rooms so comfortable. The hotel is a stunning piece of history and step out of the door and you have easy access to all that Leeds has to offer

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear Y0rkshireLass40

And we very much looking forward to welcoming you back, thank you

Warm regards

Reviewed December 12, 2013

This hotel seems to attract the most positive and the most negative reviews. On the grounds that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I can only speak as I find.

Like your recent contributor from London, I am a very regular user of hotels, most often for business but also for leisure. I was at the time of my visit neither deluded nor drugged nor is my experience of hotels limited to run down B&Bs (I have not visited Calcutta, so am unable to comment).

Unlike the contributor, I did not find the Queen's outdated. This hotel prides itself on maintaining its Art Deco architecture and decor of the period, which gives it more character than the bland boxes of the 1960's and 70's. The grandeur is by no means faded, as the carpets and furnishings in the areas I saw were clearly quite new or very well maintained, while in the style of the 1930's.

Neither did I find it grubby or noisy - Maybe I was lucky.......the hotel was not full and I believe I was upgraded (although I was just promised "a nice room") into a small suite which was very comfortable, quiet and offered an excellent night's sleep.

The staff I encountered were all friendly and efficient, both the recptionist on check-in and in particular the concierge, who offered directions to several restaurants. It could not be bettered. Perhaps my one minor criticism would be the housekeeping practice of knocking on the doors as early as 08.00 ........... some leisure guests might appreciate a lie-in.

Breakfast was of a higher standard than the usual offerings, but I must admit that the queue was the longest I have seen for a while. Maybe the hotel needs two people on duty at peak times.

The location is superb; arriving in Leeds by train after 20.00 for a meeting the next morning, it was good to be straight out of the station and into the hotel. Equally good was to find restaurants for every taste within 5 minutes' walk, and all the leisure and shopping facilities so close at hand.

I hope to be visiting Leeds on a regular basis, and do not believe I need to try anywhere else (unless the prices rise above my budget when the hotel is busier).

Room Tip: Several contributors mentioned the noisy lifts, so it is probably worth asking to be away from that...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Dear wellensian

Thankyou for your constructive feedback, I was absolutely delighted that you had a wonderful stay with us and can assure you that this is certainly the level of service and standards the team strive to achieve. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back some time in the future.

Kindest regards

Reviewed December 12, 2013

I recently had the pleasure of staying at the Queens to attend a family wedding, There are some things you can take for granted in most hotels, Like quality of service clean room clean sheets and pillow cases. This hotel ticked all the right boxes, The Bars downstairs were open to the public and obviously guests. I did find the bar staff very efficient and the queues at the bar were dealt with very quickly. The Wedding reception, I would give this hotel a high rating excellent food , and again very prompt service, And the quality of food was just what you expected. The Hotel also provided the evening reception, They provided what is now a firm favourite the bacon sandwich, There is always a worry that the food will run out or perhaps you have not ordered enough. The queens hotel kept producing as much bacon sandwiches as requested. I was very impressed not only with the hotel but the City of Leeds excellent shopping and services not to dissimilar as you would find in central London. I would have no worries about booking again in this Superb quality hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Dear simon E

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, I was delighted that you and your family had a wonderful stay with us recently. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back some time in the future.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

Me and my sister had a really good stay at the queens hotel,don't know where the negative reviews come from,from the minute we walked through the door until we left we had a fab time.We arrived early at 2 o clock and our room was ready,we had a lovely superior twin room,it was very clean,lovely and warm sometimes to warm had to turn heating down,breakfast we couldn't fault it plenty of choice,Staff were very friendly,its a fab hotel to stay in when shopping in Leeds close to everything,we will be coming back for sure.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank alisonwarris
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2013

Dear alisonwarris

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, we are thrilled you had a very enjoyable stay and were able to fit in a little Christmas shopping. I hope you'll have the opportunity to visit us again soon.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

Stayed four days to do the Christmas shopping. We go somewhere different every year and this hotel was by far the best. Central for the shops and restaurants. Worth a little extra to stay in one of the Q Club rooms. The room was perfect, well equipped and spotlessly clean. The staff all went that extra bit to make the break perfect - the receptionists, the concierge, the housekeeping staff, bar staff etc.. Thanks you to the Queens Hotel for a perfect break - really looking forward to coming back again one day.

Room Tip: Worth upgrading to a Q Club room.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear DawnTh

Thank you for your lovely review, absolutely delighted that you had a wonderful time with us and very much look forward to welcoming you back some time soon.

Warmest regards