“Excellent city hotel”
Review of The Queens - Leeds

The Queens - Leeds
Ranked #16 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I had an enjoyable stay at the Queens and it will be my first choice hotel for return trips to Leeds. Really handy for the station and the city centre. Lovely art deco building. Friendly staff. Nice quality fittings in room, clean and comfortable. Tasty breakfast. Despite being city centre, I found the room to be very quiet and wasnt disturbed at all by traffic noise- possibly the secondry glazing helps.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Dear Cauldholm-B-and-B

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay, I was very pleased to read that you had a wonderful time with us and would recommend your stay to others.

Thank you again and hope to see you soon.

Kind regards

Ivar van Diepen

Write a ReviewReviews (3,380)

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Great central luxury hotel. Great breakfast selection and service. Chilled out bar to relax in for the evening with selection of bar snacks, free wifi, great place to get work done whilst enjoying a glass of wine!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear Becky T

Thank you for posting your review, we were very pleased to read that you had a wonderful stay with us and enjoyed our Yorkshire hospitality. I do hope you have the opportunity to visit again soon.

Warmest regards

Reviewed October 2, 2013

We were up for a family wedding which was being held at the Queens.
The hotel is very central and easy to find, but as you get close beware of your satnav directing you down dark alleyways!
As you would expect, parking is tight so the hotel offers a valet parking service (at £15 a day) which works well, although be aware of delays on checkout if the hotel is busy.
Food and service was impeccable, although I did think the drinks were somewhat expensive and I wasn't keen on the service charge added to meals served in the bar.
The room we had was spacious (superior) , clean and well sound proofed.
We did have an issue with the bathroom, in that the ceiling fell down, yes thats right fell down! this occurred whilst we were at breakfast so fortunately no harm was done-except to our toilet bags which filled with plaster ! Duty manager was suitably shocked at the devastation so cancelled our bill for the room & parking. Apparently all caused by a leak in the bathroom above.
The lifts are rather slow but, very quaint.
As I previously mentioned, service is excellent and I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: First floor very good, and superior rooms are spacious.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Dear Fat-Tony1960

Absolutely delighted that on the whole you had a thoroughly enjoyable stay with us at The Queens and for sharing your thoughts with the wider travelling community. I was sorry to read that you had an issue with your room but I was pleased that our Duty Manager was able to rectify the situation. I do hope that this one off experience has not tainted your view of the hotel and would welcome the opportunity to restore you faith and welcome you back soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights on a house-hunting trip. Got a great rate, easy to find (we were driving) and a warm welcome from actual Yorkshire people. The room was nicely appointed with a view of the bustling city square (no noise disturbance because of secondary glazing). Free wireless internet, which is a big plus. Lots to do and see in walking distance. Worth a wander round the hotel to check out the cool deco features.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Davidone

Hope the house-hunting was a success. Thank you for choosing to stay at The Queens whilst you’re looking for your new home, delighted that we made you feel welcome. Good luck choosing and do visit us again soon.

Warm regards

Reviewed October 1, 2013

After reading recent reviews I was a little worried upon arrival to say the least but no need.
Pleasant staff on checking in. Large modern room with good facilities & super comfy bed on 5th floor.
There must just be some rooms / floors that haven't been refurbished by the sounds of things. Do not be put off.

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Beardsh

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and very happy that you weren’t disappointed. I will certainly pass on your kind thoughts to the team who I am sure will see them as a great source of motivation.

Warmest regards

Reviewed September 30, 2013

This hotel ticks all the boxes for a business traveller. It may lack a bit of sparkle that you might want for a romantic break, although the location and proximity to the station and shops is great. Everything is just as you would expect - with a large corporate feel to it. Something that this hotel does right, that so many do not, is wifi. How some hotels can still treat this as an add-on or option shows how out of touch with the business traveller they are. Not so here. No fiddly log-ins, no passwords, room numbers, proxy servers. None of that nonsense. Just click and you're in. And the bandwidth, while I was staying, was good too, fast enough for iplayer. Hotel chains around the world take note! You don't charge extra or make it hard to get electric light, clean towels or hot water, neither should you, in 2013, put barriers in the way of internet access. Well Done Queens.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear ESilvester

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and for sharing your thoughts with the wider travelling community. We do our very best to ensure all our guests be that business or leisure have the best possible experience and as you say, part of that is being able to easily stay in touch with business associates, friends and family alike.

I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Warm regards

Reviewed September 29, 2013

I was expecting the queens to be fabulously grand. The reception and hallways were fairly grand but the rooms were a slight letdown. Comparing to the hilton the standard in the rooms in not quite there. We didn't know much of the service as we arrived late and had to check out at 11 so I would not comment on that. I'm sure if there was something you need they would get it for you.

One other thing that slightly disgruntled me was that I tried to change my pre-paid reservation due to unforseen circumstances (hence I arrived late). On hotwire normally you can't change bookings which I guess is fair enough but on the queens page on hotwire it says you can alter bookings. They didn't let me and to add another night was 160 pounds so not really a reasonable alternative. So for our second night we went to the hilton and I'm glad we did. Its lovely inside! :)

• Stayed: September 2013