“Large and very grand hotel in the city centre”
Review of The Queens - Leeds

The Queens - Leeds
Ranked #14 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We were up for a family wedding which was being held at the Queens.
The hotel is very central and easy to find, but as you get close beware of your satnav directing you down dark alleyways!
As you would expect, parking is tight so the hotel offers a valet parking service (at £15 a day) which works well, although be aware of delays on checkout if the hotel is busy.
Food and service was impeccable, although I did think the drinks were somewhat expensive and I wasn't keen on the service charge added to meals served in the bar.
The room we had was spacious (superior) , clean and well sound proofed.
We did have an issue with the bathroom, in that the ceiling fell down, yes thats right fell down! this occurred whilst we were at breakfast so fortunately no harm was done-except to our toilet bags which filled with plaster ! Duty manager was suitably shocked at the devastation so cancelled our bill for the room & parking. Apparently all caused by a leak in the bathroom above.
The lifts are rather slow but, very quaint.
As I previously mentioned, service is excellent and I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: First floor very good, and superior rooms are spacious.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Dear Fat-Tony1960

Absolutely delighted that on the whole you had a thoroughly enjoyable stay with us at The Queens and for sharing your thoughts with the wider travelling community. I was sorry to read that you had an issue with your room but I was pleased that our Duty Manager was able to rectify the situation. I do hope that this one off experience has not tainted your view of the hotel and would welcome the opportunity to restore you faith and welcome you back soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights on a house-hunting trip. Got a great rate, easy to find (we were driving) and a warm welcome from actual Yorkshire people. The room was nicely appointed with a view of the bustling city square (no noise disturbance because of secondary glazing). Free wireless internet, which is a big plus. Lots to do and see in walking distance. Worth a wander round the hotel to check out the cool deco features.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Davidone

Hope the house-hunting was a success. Thank you for choosing to stay at The Queens whilst you’re looking for your new home, delighted that we made you feel welcome. Good luck choosing and do visit us again soon.

Warm regards

Reviewed October 1, 2013

After reading recent reviews I was a little worried upon arrival to say the least but no need.
Pleasant staff on checking in. Large modern room with good facilities & super comfy bed on 5th floor.
There must just be some rooms / floors that haven't been refurbished by the sounds of things. Do not be put off.

Dear Beardsh

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and very happy that you weren’t disappointed. I will certainly pass on your kind thoughts to the team who I am sure will see them as a great source of motivation.

Warmest regards

Reviewed September 30, 2013

This hotel ticks all the boxes for a business traveller. It may lack a bit of sparkle that you might want for a romantic break, although the location and proximity to the station and shops is great. Everything is just as you would expect - with a large corporate feel to it. Something that this hotel does right, that so many do not, is wifi. How some hotels can still treat this as an add-on or option shows how out of touch with the business traveller they are. Not so here. No fiddly log-ins, no passwords, room numbers, proxy servers. None of that nonsense. Just click and you're in. And the bandwidth, while I was staying, was good too, fast enough for iplayer. Hotel chains around the world take note! You don't charge extra or make it hard to get electric light, clean towels or hot water, neither should you, in 2013, put barriers in the way of internet access. Well Done Queens.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear ESilvester

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and for sharing your thoughts with the wider travelling community. We do our very best to ensure all our guests be that business or leisure have the best possible experience and as you say, part of that is being able to easily stay in touch with business associates, friends and family alike.

I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Warm regards

Reviewed September 29, 2013

I was expecting the queens to be fabulously grand. The reception and hallways were fairly grand but the rooms were a slight letdown. Comparing to the hilton the standard in the rooms in not quite there. We didn't know much of the service as we arrived late and had to check out at 11 so I would not comment on that. I'm sure if there was something you need they would get it for you.

One other thing that slightly disgruntled me was that I tried to change my pre-paid reservation due to unforseen circumstances (hence I arrived late). On hotwire normally you can't change bookings which I guess is fair enough but on the queens page on hotwire it says you can alter bookings. They didn't let me and to add another night was 160 pounds so not really a reasonable alternative. So for our second night we went to the hilton and I'm glad we did. Its lovely inside! :)

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stayed here due to an Event being held there. On arrival by car, we couldn't park outside the Hotel with out parking on double yellow lines, chaos in the very small allocated parking area. Entering the hotel it was gloomy and tired looking, had to wait to check in as very busy and only one lady on reception, she was pleasant. Then we had to wait for the concierge to arrive at the desk to arrange for our car to be valet parked. Eventually 'Andrew' turned up in a creased grubby shirt, no tie or jacket, friendly but I thought unprofessional as he when he took our details for the car and asked which room we were staying in, he made a remark about how the room wasn't that good. There was no one to help with luggage. There was only one lift working so took 10 minutes to queue. The room was on the 7th floor and I found it tired and dirty. The bathroom was a disgrace, the bath was stained and looked filthy, damp and black mould on the tiles and ceiling, the woodwork was filthy and all the paintwork in the room was scruffy and dirty. The mini bar was empty not even bottled water, after searching for the tea/ coffee making faculties - hidden in a cupboard which could only be opened after moving an armchair, we found that there was no milk on the tray and the saucers had grime on them. We phoned down for some milk and after another phone call and 40 minutes later a young man appeared with a plastic food bag with several cartons of milk, greeting us with " 'ere's ya milk". The curtains had white marks on them, the ceiling had obviously had had a water leak at some point and was patched up badly with filler and slapped on paint. The bed was noisy and when we got into the bed the headboard fell off onto the floor, upon inspection it was just balanced onto a baton with no screws to keep it in place. The remote control for the TV had the battery cover missing and was covered over with insulation tape. The wallpaper was damaged and dirty. No air conditioning. The windows looked like they hadn't seen paint since the hotel had been built.
The event was well organised but this had nothing to do with the Hotel.

The next morning we had to queue for breakfast, got seated only to be told that someone else had also been seated at the table. The breakfast was poor, luke warm, dry and not much choice. Overall experience very poor, will not stay here again or recommend this to anyone, in fact I will tell them to keep clear.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Dear Jules0502

Thank you for taking the time to post your comprehensive review of your stay with us recently. I cannot tell you how sorry I am that not everything went according to plan.

I do believe your experience on this occasion to be most untypical of our usual high standards of service as evidenced by many other reviewers scoring their stay with us as either excellent or very good. I have noted your comment can assure you that they will be addressed with the relevant teams.

I am puzzled with your comments regarding the cleanliness, as again this an area that the hotel receives positive feedback on. If however you found this not to be the case then please accept my apologies for any lapses experienced. Our breakfast is a buffet offering, however should at all times provide a good and fresh start to the day. It is evident this was not the case for which there are no excuses. It is clear your stay was adversely influenced by many factors given the nature of our business and the fact that we have not delivered outstanding customer service I would appreciate it if you could please contact me personally to discuss a gesture of goodwill and hopefully will go some way in restoring your faith in us and equally demonstrates that we care passionately about all of our guests and the feedback they give. In addition I would genuinely welcome an opportunity to redeem our excellent reputation and therefore hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed September 22, 2013

As part of a business trip I booked 3 rooms at 'The Queens', because the event we sponsored was being held there.

On arrival I couldn't find anyone to help take the bags and park the car. I waited 3 mins before asking for assistance. Finally an older chap called 'Andrew' was free. A nice, funny chap who took our details for the vallet service. Unfortunately he didn't assist with the bags with the trolley which was a shame. Receptionist was OK while checking in, but not the best welcome I have ever had. It appeared that a lack of management was eveident in the reception. Which was a shame given how busy it was due to the major event that evening.
To get to the rooms we had a choice of 2 lifts. However, 1 was stuck so it took over 5 mins to get into 1 available lift. If a manager had been present this would or should of been avoided. Again not a good impression. This lack of attention to detail of managerial control was clearly lacking. The lift had wallpaper peeling off it and it looked tired.
Eventually we got to our room - small and full of old style furniture. The side of the bed had a bar hanging down where the housekeeper had not screwed it back together, 1 buld was not working above the bed. The bathroom :( no flannels ! The towel rail was so hot it burnt me ! And worse to come was marks on the woodwork around the wood bathroom door frame.
After the evenings event we came back to sleep. It was shocking ! Springing and lumpy mattress not only in our room but also 1 of the others on the same floor. Again housekeeping failed to put enough to cover the mattress to make it comfortable so I had the worst sleep ever out of all the hotels I have ever slept in !!! I would not stay or recommend this hotel based on the rooms alone.
Breakfast was good, friendly, organised and nice food.

I understand its an old hotel but it needs updating. Attention to details it important at this level. Imagine the toilets near the ballroom had been left again unmanaged. Toilet rolls on the floors, no paper towels !

Management this was not a good impression. I don't think I will stay at another Q Hotel even if next years event is held at another one of your hotels.

I hope you found my review helpful. Diana

Dear dianaandco

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at our Hotel. I was disappointed to learn that you did not have a satisfactory stay with us and at this late stage can only offer you my most sincere apologies. I do believe your experience on this occasion to be most untypical of our usual high standards of service as evidenced by many other reviewers scoring their stay with us as either excellent or very good.

I do hope that this one off experience has not tainted your view of our hotel and would very much welcome the opportunity to restore your faith. Please contact me personally when next staying at the hotel and I will certainly do what I can to further enhance your stay.

Warmest regards