“Clean and comfortable, great location”
Review of The Queens - Leeds

The Queens - Leeds
Ranked #16 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I stayed at The Queens for one night. It was very easy to find as it is right next to the railway station. Apparently there is an entrance right on the station concourse, but I couldn't find it.

I was greeted at the door by a doorman, who carried my case up the few steps to reception. Check in was friendly and fast, and I was soon in my comfortable and clean room. I was on the fifth floor facing away from the station, and had no problem with noise.

There was a little lobby just inside the door, which could easily have a hook on the wall to hang my coat but didn't. When I'm staying for one night I don't like to put anything behind closed doors/drawers then I can't leave it behind! However, the only place to put my coat was in the wardrobe. There was a suitcase stand so that I could avoid putting my case on the nice, carpeted floor.

The bathroom was pokey but had a bath (yay!) so not bad. The position of the toilet and the door meant that the toilet roll hung right beside me, which isn't very easy to use.

The restaurant food was good but expensive, and service was friendly.

All in all it was just right for my needs (a seminar at The Queens next day). If I attend a seminar here again, I might book in for the night or I am just as likely to find a Premier Inn nearby. It was difficult to decide between 'average' and 'very good' for the rating!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Dear FT2nd

Thank you for your comprehensive review or your stay with us. I was pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your visit. I have duly noted your comments regarding certain aspects of your room and thank you for highlighting. We look forward to being able to welcome you back some time in the future.

Ivar van Diepen

Write a ReviewReviews (3,379)

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Only there for 1 night for a conference. The room was faultless, huge bed and comfy, bathroom small but adequate.
We had to book a table for dinner and had a set menu with 3 choices. We sat down at 7.30 and finally got our main meal at 9pm! People who arrived after us had their starter and main before us! They couldnt seem to offer an explanation for the delay.
A couple of colleagues requested cheese as they couldnt eat the desserts, informed it would be extra - dont think £4.50 was good value though especially as cheese is only £2 more according to the menu.

Breakfast was lovely - very good service

Whoever organised the menu for lunch obviously didnt look at the evening menu as it was chicken or salmon again! And to rub it in there were more choices for dessert including cheese!!!!!

Dear ACES145

Thank you for taking the time to post your view, I was pleased to read that you found the room faultless. I was sorry however to read that not all aspects of your stay went according to plan and at this stage can only offer you my sincere apologies and advise you that this is most certainly not our usual standard of service. Please be assured that your comments are taken seriously and I will certainly discuss the issues raised with the relevant heads of department. In response to your comment relating to menu choices, in general it is the conference organiser who makes the choice for menu’s, I would be keen to learn which conference you attended in order to investigate further to ensure that there were no oversights at The Queens.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

The Queens is a bit of a Leeds tradition but had started to become a bit faded, however we had an unexpected upgrade to a lovely spacious suite at the top of the hotel which was done out in an art deco style in keeping with the age of the hotel. Overall a very luxurious experience.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Venus67

Many thanks for your review of The Queens. I am delighted that you had a thoroughly enjoyable stay and as a result would be happy to recommend our hotel to others. We look forward to seeing you again at The Queens.

Warmest regards

General Manage

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Only stayed one night, close to the train station. Lovely reception lobby. Room nice modern, nice bathroom with good quality products, shampoo etc. breakfast good choice of fresh fruit, cereals and cooed breakfast fresh and replenished. Very goo d hotl for the money, just had a standard opulence room. Just beware a lot of traffic noise.

Dear mrcooljanny

Thank you for your lovely review of The Queens. I am thrilled you had a super stay with us and that you would recommend our hotel to others. We look forward to making you welcome again soon.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Last Saturday and Sunday we stayed at the queens hotel in Leeds. On arrival at Leeds railway station, we had a 2 minute walk to the Queens hotel. We were checked in with a very friendly receptionist who told us they had upgraded us to a superior room, where we would find little extras like robes and slippers. When we got to our room on the sixth floor we were very happy, but if I was to nit pick there was only one robe and no slippers but hey ho!!!! It certainly didn't spoil our stay. At all times the hotel staff were very friendly and the hotel was kept very clean!! The queens was also ideally situated in the heart of the town centre and would most definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel (quieter)
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Lyn B

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Queens, I was pleased to read that you had a wonderful stay with us and delighted you enjoyed your impromptu upgrade to a suite, what a treat. You will have to try our executive suite of rooms on the 8th floor next visit.

Warm regards

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Hotel is next to the railway station. Check in and check out was fast and efficient. We arrived moments before a very large party but saw more receptionist man the desk to cope with the influx. Staff were friendly. We had a room on 6th floor facing the back (i.e. the station) and had no problems with noise from trains or traffic. Room was clean with crisp clean bed linen and soft towels. Bed was comfortable. Water in bathroom was blisteringly hot and there are the typical free toiletries. Facilities of room were fine. There was a fridge so you could have fresh milk for your tea and chill your beer etc. Shaving mirror was far too low for me and I am not overly tall at 5 ft 10 in. TV volume was set to barely audible and there was no channel guide. Room was a little hot even with heating set to 16°C. I will use his hotel next time I go to Leeds

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Dear Paul S

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, I was happy to read that you found our team to be efficient despite a very large party at check in. Delighted too that you were not disturbed by our vibrant city, we rarely have issues with external noise. Your comments has been noted relating to the shaving mirror and TV and thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Do visit us again soon.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

I expected the Queens to be this fabulous place and that's why I booked a stay here , as a little treat to myself. It is indeed very good , but unfortunately a few things went wrong so I cannot give it a 5 star rating.

Price wise it was worth it . The room is lovely and warm - stayed in a single - it was a good size with a little bathroom with a bath. Bed was uncomfortable , with a hard mattress and I didnt get much sleep. My key card failed on two occasions and had to go downstairs to get it sorted out. Lifts are slow and corridors are very noisy early in the morning , with doors slamming loudly. Very limited choice of tv channels and radio .

The receptionists were very friendly and polite and both check-in and check-out were fast. Great location , very handy for both the city centre and the train station.

Dont think I will stay again , Im affraid.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Dear Miss-Voyageur

Thank you for taking the time to post your constructive review of your stay. I am sorry that not everything went according to plan. Please be assured that this most certainly not typical of our reviews and will certainly look into the comments relating to your mattress. I will pass on your comments to our reception team as I am sure it will be a great source of motivation.

I do hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back soon.