“Read this... it's important.”

Mercure Leeds Parkway
Ranked #49 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Warrington, England, United Kingdom
“Read this... it's important.”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Okay, so before I begin, you should just know that I'm a natural born whinger. I moan about anything and everything. So you can imagine my horror as I read some of the dreadful reviews on here about Mercure Leeds Parkway hotel.
However, I was a guest at this hotel from Saturday 12th January 2013 - Monday 14th January 2013, where I went along with my boyfriend. We are both 22 years old. I'm not really sure what I was expecting to be honest, but I was very very happy with my stay here at this hotel.
Having booked this hotel back in October and paying £70 for 2 nights NOT including breakfast, first of all, I was thrilled with the price. We arrived just after 2pm on the Saturday, checked in, enquired about breakfast and was told we could pay on the last day if we decided to have breakfast, which we had.
We went upto the room, which was Studio 8 - it was immaculate, the bathroom had CLEARLY just been modernised and refurbished, the bedding was clean, the room was spotless, with a beautiful view of the snowy hills just opposite the hotel. There was a large, flat screen TV with internet access and Sky TV.
We went down to the bar, where we had a few drinks - albeit quite expensive drinks, but you get what you pay for. We went to the cinema in Leeds city centre and enjoyed a nice meal at a local restaurant, which were all within a 10-15 min drive away from the hotel. The first night's stay was quiet, peaceful and the bed was extremely comfortable.
We went down for breakfast the next morning quite late on, just before 11am, but there was still plenty of food. The lady serving us was lovely - she literally couldn't do enough for us - and we enjoyed a delicious meal consisting of cereal, crossiants, bacon, sausage, hash browns, black pudding, beans, mushrooms, tomatoes and toast, with a big pot of tea and a caffetiere of coffee. After breakfast, we got our swim stuff and went down to the leisure centre which is complimentary for hotel guests. The pool is a good size, immaculate condition and lovely warm water - and we had it all to ourselves, including the jacuzzi! I had a one hour massage after this, which was amazing. The staff here are a real credit to the place.
After a few more drinks in the bar that evening, we went out for tea at a local restaurant again and came back to finish the evening off with some more drinks - again, the bar staff are incredibly welcoming, friendly and polite.
We checked out on the morning of the 14th, after another hearty breakfast, and weren't charged a penny for the breakfasts on either of the mornings.
I am already missing this hotel. Everything about it was brilliant - please don't pay attention to badly written reviews, scrawled by uneducated ignorant people. If you want somewhere nice to stay, with good staff and lovely food, plus plenty of activities, stay at the Mercure Leeds Parkway Hotel.

Room Tip: Ask to go in a Studio room - I didn't get the choice when booking online but ask the member of s...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Emily C
Stewart W, General Manager at Mercure Leeds Parkway, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you for such a lovely review of the hotel. I am delighted that our food, general standards and service levels reached and exceeded your expectations and it is extremely pleasing to note that your time at the hotel was thoroughly enjoyed. Your valuable comments will be cascaded throughout the hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Leeds Parkway in the not too distant future. Kind regards, Stewart Woodeson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Leeds
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I booked an executive room for a one night's stay for my husband's 50th birthday. I requested upon booking that a bottle of wine was in the room for our arrival, this would be a surprise for my husband. I was told when booking that it wasn't a problem and they could easily sort that for me... however the bottle wine was not in our room on arrival. First disappointment.

By chance we stayed in the same room as the one we stayed in on the night of our wedding over 4 years ago, and it was then the honeymoon suite. That was a nice surprise but a complete coincidence. The room was large and spacious but certainly hadn't been updated or had any work done since our previous visit over 4 years ago. The paintwork, skirting boards and furniture were chipped and damaged. Not what you'd expect for an executive room. The room had a round coffee table which was broken and tilted to one side. Generally everything was clean although there was a dead wasp on the floor of the bathroom and the toilet was covered in lime scale. The shower was very good and very powerful - as I would expect.

We ordered room service for our evening meal so we could relax in our room. We rang through to guest services and asked for room service on three occasions only to be cut off every single time. We finally put our order in with the receptionist and the food arrived later that evening. The food quality was poor. We ordered chicken tikka massala which was dry on top and consisted of shreds of chicken as opposed to chunks of meat which you would expect. No doubt left over meat and prepared and kept somewhere warm - hence the dry top. The curry was served with naan bread and poppodums - which were soft and soggy. The desserts were much better. I ordered a fresh orange juice and the receptionist said this would be fine and asked if I wanted a pint which I confirmed I did. I was surprised to receive a tiny bottle of Britvic orange - from concentrate - hardly fresh orange juice.

We sat down on our wonky table in front of the television only to be disappointed that the television didn't work. The screen was flickering through tones of red and green and the sound dipped in and out. Thankfully it was an issue with the scart lead which was easily rectified but this should not have needed to be done.

As we had upgraded to an executive suite we were given free unlimited box office movies in our room but for some reason the selection process outlined the cost as if we would need to pay. We rang through to the main desk to confirm and her first question was 'are you with British Gas?' which we thought was odd, although I understand a lot of British Gas workers stay there. The receptionist eventually confirmed that the movies were included and wouldn't be added to our bill. Funnily enough the cost of the two films were added to our bill and for some reason the receptionist wanted us to pay before she gave us a break down and an itemised bill. We had been charged for the movies which I asked to be refunded. Please make sure you check your bill at this hotel before you pay.

The bed was comfortable and we had a reasonable night's sleep - apart from the constant chatter from the gentleman in the bar which I understand was directly below our room.

We ordered breakfast to be served in our room and it did arrive promptly at the time we had requested. The breakfast form which you complete when you order breakfast and then hang outside your door, has an error which needs to be rectified. There were 5 options for hot drinks at the bottom, but with only 4 tick boxes! This obviously caused us some problems and we received a decafinated coffee when we actually wanted tea. However we dismissed this as a minor concern, only to then realise our juice hadn't been brought with the breakfast. Another call to the reception desk and we received our juice, in a dirty glass with what looked to be the remains of a sticker or label. Possibly a brand new glass which hadn't been washed properly before use.

The price of the room service breakfast was over 16 pounds per person. For just over 32 pounds and for two adults we received - two pots of coffee, two small glasses of juice, two bowls of cereal, 4 slices of toast and three mini baked pastries. We had a very very small danish each, and we weren't sure if we were expected to share the croissant or not. Overpriced and no where near worth the money charged. I would definitely recommend eating in the restaurant as for some reason this hotel seems to scrimp on room service meals, which seems odd when I understand the breakfast is a buffet in the restaurant.

Overall we were very disappointed and I think the standards of this hotel have slipped since we had our wedding reception there 4 years ago when it was then a Ramada Jarvis hotel. We will not return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sunshine_rainbow25
Thank you for your review of the Mercure Leeds Parkway. We take all of our guests' compliments and critiques very seriously and as you will have noticed we generally receive very good reviews on TripAdvisor. I am sorry that your experience did not reflect our usual high standards and apologise that you encountered issues during your stay. I have discussed your comments with our heads of departments who are working to overcome the issues for the future. Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and I hope that we may welcome you back to the hotel in the future where you stay will no doubt be remembered for all the right reasons. Kind regards, Stewart Woodeson
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I stayed here back in April last year for one night when I was attending a wedding close by. The staff on reception and in the bar area were very friendly and helpful, particularly with arranging a taxi for the group I was staying with.

The room was very large - much bigger than many other hotels I have stayed in and they were well equipped. The bathroom was presented very neatly with complementary toiletries. The bed was very comfortable and it was nice to have black-out curtains in the room. The only slight niggle was the traffic noise from the road outside which can get very busy, so if I was to stay again in the future, I would request a room towards the rear of the hotel.

Room Tip: Request a room to the rear of the hotel if you are a light sleeper as the main road at the front can...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your custom and review! We are always trying our utmost to deliver the best service to our guests, and I am glad that we have made your stay enjoyable. It is an unfortunate drawback of being so close to the arterial route to the centre of Leeds that sometimes light sleepers residing in the 'front facing' bedrooms do get slightly affected by road noise even though we are set back some distance from the road. In the future I would suggest booking a balcony bedroom that overlooks the landscaped gardens and Golden Acre Park, where you will no doubt have a fully restful night. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Regards, Stewart Woodeson.
Great Missenden, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights B&B - very comfy room with a 'proper' full-English breakfast.
Slight downside was a queue to check-in with only one trainee on duty.
Will no doubt return again next year when when visit rellies.

1 Thank Brewersfriend
Stewart W, General Manager at Mercure Leeds Parkway, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear brewersfriend. Thank you for providing us with your feedback following your recent stay with us. It is fantastic to hear that all your needs were accommodated and nothing was too much trouble. I apologise that there was a slight delay in checking in and have ensured that our new member of staff has the relvant support for the busy periods. We look forward to seeing you again upon your return to Leeds. Kind regards, Stewart Woodeson
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Arrived to discover our room was overbooked, however, the lovely receptionist Becca sorted us out with a drink while she resolved the issue. We stayed two nights as our son was 'passing out' at AFC Harrogate and enjoyed a lovely stay. Your staff are a credit to you, nothing was too much trouble. The breakfast waitress on Friday morning was especially kind when our autistic son got upset, dealing with the problem calmly and sympathetically. I would recommend your hotel to anyone looking for that caring touch!

• Stayed December 2012
Dear JJgough71. Thank you very much indeed for such a wonderful review - I am glad that our attention to our 'passion for service' motto has done us proud once again, especially with the incident at breakfast. I have spoken to Becca and Diane who are delighted, so thank you. We look forward to being of service again to you at some stage in the future. Kind regards, Stewart Woodeson
Pontefract
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Yes for once the food at a Christmas function was hot and tasty despite the large number to be served! That standard was maintained throughout our brief one night stay.
The reception were welcoming and informative, our ground floor bedroom was quiet, warm but not oppressively so, the beds were extremely comfortable and the full English breakfast generous(unfortunately the Continental one was boring with little choice).

The 'Halls were decked with boughs of holly'and plants and wreaths and garlands that were in immaculate condition, stunningly arranged and reflected the beauty and dignity of (I imagine) an
Edwardian building.

The weather when we were departing was atrocious with black ice causing chaos on the roads.
The hotel had gone to enormous trouble to warn departing guests of the weather conditions and which roads were closed but they had done a thorough job of salting and gritting the car park. Thank you.

As the bill for the room plus breakfast for two was only £49.50

Room Tip: Rooms at the back overlooking the garden are very quiet and have a lovely view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Florence P. Thank you for such a lovely review of the hotel and such festive references! I am delighted that our food, general standards and service levels in the atrocious weather reached and exceeded your expectations. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Leeds Parkway in the not too distant future. Kind regards, Stewart Woodeson
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Could not travel for this weekend as husband in hospital, so quite upset at losing the £129. We live down south but come from north of Leeds so travel there frequently to visit friends/relatives. The Mercure is very good, especially the pool.

We have taken a lot of these special offers in the past but this is the first time we have been unable to go. It makes me wary of taking non-refundable offers. I think their normal rates are quite expensive for non-business travellers.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Stewart W, General Manager at Mercure Leeds Parkway, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear CarolD. I'm sorry that you were unable to stay with us last weekend. If you would like to email me on gm.mercureleedsparkway@jupiterhotels.co.uk with the details of your original booking I can investigate further and perhaps upgrade you to a four poster bedroom on your next visit in order to enhance your next stay with us and make it more memorable. Thank you for your kind review of the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. Kind regards, Stewart Woodeson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leeds
Mercure Wetherby
#36 of 87 in Leeds
Britannia Leeds Bradford Airport
Village Hotel Leeds North
Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel

Been to Mercure Leeds Parkway? Share your experiences!