“Serviceable”

Ranked #46 of 86 Hotels in Leeds
Sunderland, Tyne & Wear
“Serviceable”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel prior to an onward flight from the local airport. Reception was welcoming, we were offered help to get our bags to the room, and arranged a wake up call, and booked a table for food in the restaurant.
The evening meal was interesting. The staff were helpful but a little disorganised, attempting to take orders for drinks twice, and our meal twice - better that than not at all i suppose! Unfortunately an hour's wait between starters and the main course, with other tables who arrived later than us being served and gone before we were served was a little frustrating. As a result we were told "if you want a desert you'll have to order now as the chef is going home".
The meal was average, which would have been more acceptable had the delay not been so long.
The room was a bit tired but did the job, the walls thin enough to hear the neighbours talking, the bathroom less good and i burned my foot in the shower from a dripping hot tap. My fault, but better maintenance would have preveted it. The wake up call worked for us but not for the other members of our party.
Sounds a bit negative but as an airport hotel did the job. As a wedding venue? Doubtful.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, General Manager at Mercure Leeds Parkway, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Thank you for review of the hotel. I am disappointed that our restaurant did not live up to expectations and I have spoken to both the head chef and the food and beverage manager in order to resolve any issues over delays. If you could please make me aware of the bedroom you stayed in, we shall resolve any maintenance in this room immediately. Once again, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Kind regards, Stewart Woodeson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

I stayed at this hotel on the cold weekend of the 16-17th as I was attending a wedding held in Horsforth nearby.
As soon as I walked through the door I felt welcome. The experience was just wonderful, from the smiley Lady on reception, the charming barmen to the waiters at Breakfast and the staff in the SPA, I left feeling truly looked after.

I highly recomend this as a place to stay and I am sure to return.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for such a fantastic review! I have passed on your comments to our team and they are delighted that you had such a lovely stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future! Kind regards, Stewart Woodeson
York, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012

We booked to stay in this hotel for my best friend's wedding, after the bride had reserved a number of rooms for family and friends. I was charged the room fee on booking and even tried to check in mid-morning, but was unable to as it was too early (which is understandable).

I was horrified to learn on my return to the hotel at 1am that the hotel was oversubscribed and we no longer had our room. The manager at the time was extremely rude, almost to the point of ignoring us, and failed to apologise for this inconvenience. After 20 minutes of waiting around while he tried to arrange another hotel room for us, I decided simply to drive home, which was a most unacceptable end to an otherwise fantastic day.

I understand that hotels do overbook and occasionally this event occurs, but the hotel had known since 7pm that they were oversubscribed and could have telephoned us to inform us of the issue. Furthermore, the attitude of the manager was appalling and the lack of apology was most disappointing.

I certainly won't be staying here again or using the Mercure brand again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Edward T
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I apologise that we were not able to honour your booking and are currently investigating the matter regarding the service level you experienced on the evening. If you would like to contact me at the hotel, I would be more than happy to discuss your comments in more detail and apologise to you personally. Kind regards, Stewart Woodeson
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

We got married here on the 26th of may i stayed over the night before with my bridesmaids. 8 of us ate in the restaurant on the Friday night with most having a 3 course meal, the meal was served quickly by polite staff. The food was amazing!! Our too on the Friday had 2 double beds for the 4 of us, it was clean and had lots of space which we needed with dresses, shoes and the 4 of us getting ready!! The bathroom was massive with a bath and separate shower!! Breakfast was also lovely with mushrooms and hash browns!! Our wedding went with no problems, staff were lovely, food was amazing (all our family and friends commented how nice the pork was!) the only thing that was said that i didn't notice was only one person was on the bar so people had to wait to be served. Our stay on our wedding night was beautiful, our room was very large with a four poster bed, again very clean with a large bathroom. all the staff at this hotel were so friendly from the moment we booked our wedding. i am delighted to say we got married here. can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed May 2012
Stewart W, General Manager at Mercure Leeds Parkway, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Dear Rachel and Martin... Thank you for such a lovely review - we are delighted that you wedding went so well. I have already congratulated Becki but will make a point of seeing our Head Chef and our Operations team today. They will no doubt be delighted! We look forward to seeing you for your anniversary dinner, but hopefully we'll see you again before then! Kind regards, Stewart Woodeson
Gateshead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

I am a group organiser and I organised a weekend at this hotel to celebrate The Queens Diamond Jubilee, I never know what to expect when arranging these trips. But I have to say we were not disappointed with this short break, The staff could not have done more to make us feel welcome, the food the cleanliness the atmosphere. I want to mention two people who were especially good to us their names are Kelly on reception (she is a credit to the hotel group) and Rashid he is a waiter and was a very polite, kind, happy waiter nothing was any bother to him. Although one of our members did try to push him to see if he would get flustered (she was just winding him up) but he handled everything she threw at him. Thank You Mercure - we will be using your hotels in the future.

1 Thank EJames25
Thank you for such a great review! We do try to ensure all of our staff are customer focussed and I am glad this came across for your group... I shall make a point of congratulating Kelly and Rashid, as well as Lynsey in Housekeeping and Jeet, our Head Chef. We look forward to welcoming you back soon - maybe for a realxing, stress free pamper weekend... Kind regards, Stewart Woodeson
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2012

I stayed at the hotel with a party of friends (about 35) to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee and we could not have picked a better venue. The hotel was perfect, rooms, service, everything, I could not find fault at all. To cater for such a large number without a hitch was something for them to be proud of, and they treat us well, nothing was a problem to the staff and they carried it off with a smile at all times. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone and I hope to visit again as there is so much beautiful countryside to explore right on the doorstep.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for such a fantastic review! Chef will be delighted as will all the other managers and staff, so thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience - I hope we get the opportunity to look after you again in the future! The area is brilliant for breaks across the Yorkshire Dales, Skipton and even up to Harrogate and York - maybe this could be the basis for your next visit? Kind regards, Stewart Woodeson
Gateshead, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2012

Brilliant few days. Rooms were large and comfortable, food very good, large easy chairs in the lounge for relaxing and all the staff - nothing was too much trouble for them. They were helpful, friendly and went out of their way to ensure we had a good visit. Three especially, Kelly (who called the bingo) and a young lad who ensured we were well looked after at meals. I think his name was tushar Jonaki and a young lad called M.H. Rashid. Took their names from the tags on their jackets. I shall certainly recommend this hotel and revisit when I get the chance.
As well as lovely walks in the surrounding area, the Hotel was well placed for Otley, Leeds and Harewood House.
A must when visiting the area.
Betty Heesom - Active Age North East.

1 Thank Elizabeth H
Thank you for such a lovely review - our staff will be delighted to have received such praise. I shall make a special point of congratulating our staff who you have named but will also make a point of passing your comments onto the chef. Thank you once again and we look forward to being of service to you again in the not too distant future. Kind regards, Stewart Woodeson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leeds
Mercure Wetherby
#29 of 86 in Leeds
Britannia Leeds Bradford Airport
Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel
Best Western Plus Milford Hotel

Been to Mercure Leeds Parkway? Share your experiences!