“3* AT BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Cosmopolitan Hotel
Ranked #21 of 86 Hotels in Leeds
“3* AT BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

Upon on arrival we un loaded in the allocated space to do so, we then proceeded to check in and seek advice on where was best to park. We was advised to park above the Italian restaurant which we did only to find out the quite staggering and extortionate prices it cost us £17.50 to park or the night!!

We then went to our designated room walking along the corridor we found empty trays with glasses and plates on from previous guests. We was in utter shock!! After stumbling our way around assault course that was the corridor we finally got to our room which was not a patch on the photos advertised on the website, the rooms lacked colour and was in real need of renovating. Wallpaper was hanging off not to mention the smell of a nursing home!!

There was a gap under the door you could fit a small child through and let through a vast amount of light from the assault course outside!!

If you are a straight couple I would avoid 'The Bridge' pub at all cost as me and my girlfriend went in there for a quite drink only to realise it was a gay bar!!

I hope you find this review helpful and it's my honest most sincere opinion if the Cosmopolitan hotel in Leeds.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank SamJhard
Cosmopolitan-2, Guest Relations Manager at Cosmopolitan Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for your review.
There are no Hotels in Leeds City
Centre with on-site parking and therefore any car park charges are dictated by the car park providers. The Hotel offers discounted parking at a current cost of £12.50 for 24 hours and £5 overnight. The price of £17.50 is ‘Q’ Parks tariff rate for 24 hours.

All room service trays have cards that request guests to contact us to have trays removed however some guests simply place the tray outside their room. We do regular floor walks during service time and I am sorry that your arrival coincided with a tray being placed outside a room and in between floor checks.

The hotel is currently in the middle of a refurbishment program and I am sorry that you found the room to be not to your liking. The doors should be flush fitting and I am not aware of any with particular large gaps, certainly no larger than half an inch and I am surprised that this let in light to the room. We would have happily offered a room move had we been made aware at the time of your disappointment as we try to ensure all our guests have an enjoyable stay with us.

Should you return to Leeds in the near future please contact the Hotel directly so we may have the opportunity to restore your confidence in the service and quality of our bedrooms.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Wetherby, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

Room was dreadful value for money - had booked it as special treat and was very embarrassed when we saw room. It was minuscule, more like a cupboard than a double bedroom and too hot and noisy. At least it was clean, which was a relief.

Room Tip: Don't do it
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alan J
The hotel has three types of double room. The king size rooms are the most spacious in terms of room space and the size of the bed and these represent 30% of our bedroom stock. We also have large double and small double rooms. The room type you stayed in, it would appear, was a small double which is a ¾ bed and a less spacious room. These are sold as cosy double or spacious single rooms and the reduced price of these rooms against larger bedrooms reflects this.

We would have been happy to offer a room move to a larger room and the price variation is only an additional £10. I am very sorry you felt the room was not value for money but am pleased to read that you found the standard of cleanliness to be to your satisfaction.
Northallerton
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

My partner booked this as he was on business and well started well, we were greeted with wine and we went straight to the room which was clean and well turned out,

When we had been out in to Leeds for dinner we went back to the room only to be woken not once but twice by the fire alarms...my partner had to be up at 5 to get to his next meeting in London he was beyond tired, he rang reception to check if the fire alarm was real, reception didnt know so up we got and went down in the the reception where we were told we can go back to our room! For this to happen an hour later, no apology and so tired. I had missed breakfast by 5 mins and they did agree to get me some, but it was over done and had to wait forever for it, I didn't have time to eat it as I had to get my train....never again

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Cosmopolitan-2, Guest Relations Manager at Cosmopolitan Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for your recent review and I am very sorry that your sleep was disturbed by the activation of the fire alarm. The only recent activation was caused accidently by a guest smoking in their room. Should the alarm activate and be sounding for a prolonged period of time this does indicate that the Hotel is to be activated. In this instance however the Hotel were aware that this was a false alarm and I am sorry that you were not advised this by reception.

Please be reassured that the alarm rarely activates and this was an unfortunate occurrence outside of the Hotels control and I am sorry that this led to a poor night’s sleep. Please appreciate the fire alarm is there for your safety and therefore would never activate without reason. Our breakfasts are served until 11am daily and is cooked to order from 9am and therefore there will be a delay as your hot breakfast is prepared.

I am pleased you enjoyed your welcome drink and you found your room to be clean and well prepared. It is disappointing that you have indicated that you will not return to the Hotel. In order to restore your faith in the Hotel, should you wish to return, please contact the hotel directly and we would be happy to offer a gesture of goodwill for the inconvenience you sadly experienced on this occasion.
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel in July. The room was that hot we rushed to get ready just so we could get out. There was no air con just an old fan. The rooms are dated and not clean. Clean towels were not provided, and when asked for more we came back to 5 hand towels. Also, the staff were not very friendly. It is extreamly over priced, we have stayed in much nicer for a lot less. DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your review.

I am very sorry that your room was not serviced correctly. All rooms, on check-in, should be provided with hand towels, bath towels and a bath mat. I will address this with the Head Housekeeper as they check all rooms before they are made available to guests including ensuring that the room is supplied with the correct linen. I am disappointed that when this was pointed out that the towels left in the room were unfortunately were not as requested.

The Hotel does not have air conditioning in the bedrooms and in the recent hot spell this has meant that the rooms were hot. We do try and minimise this by ensuring windows are left open and pulling on curtains and typically the ceiling fans provided do make the room temperature comfortable. We can provide additional cooling fans, on request, to help reduce room temperature further.

The price for our bedrooms reflects the demand for rooms in Leeds and is comparable to other similar hotels in the City and I am very sorry you did not feel the room was good value for money.
Bridlington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

This was a great hotel best room ever king size bed large room plenty of space very tastefully furnished. got a free upgrade on arrival and a free glass of complimentary wine to take up with us. The only reason this hotel has not got a five star from me is the fact that the night porter/barman was extremely rude to myself and other guests, he was extremely grumpy and it was obvious he didn't want to serve any of us. other than that the hotel was perfect, I would definitely return. I

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your excellent review following your recent trip to Leeds to see the Boss!

I was delighted to that you found the bedroom to be of a high standard, spacious and decor to be of a high standard and that you enjoyed your wine on arrival at the Hotel. I am sorry that the night porter let the Hotel down on this occasion and I will certainly make sure that this is addressed with him. I hope that you enjoyed the opening concert at the 'new' Leeds arena that I am sure will host many memorable concerts in the future.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel once again in the future.
Hull
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

I have just returned from 1 night stay here. We as in room 115 which didn't have the best view but with a hotel so close to the bars etc...& the train lines it was perfect. We did not hear any train noise or noise from the drinkers in the street.
I have stayed in other parts of this hotel in the past & they have been a bit noisier from trains & bars.
We paid £118 for a family room B&B which was a double, single & a fold out bed, breakfast was freshly cooked & very filling.
We were visiting a beauty salon which is literally next door & dining at BeBes which is just around the corner.
This hotel is perfectly placed for the 'Gay' scene in Leeds, but also 10 mins walk from the train station.
We were celebrating a 30th birthday so when we checked in we were greeted with a glass of fizz each which was a lovely touch.
Staff were very polite & attentive, when we needed an extra cup & more milk & tea they were efficient & pleased to sort it out straight away.
Great stay, hotel has recently been redecorated in areas so was very pleasant indeed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the site of the hotel away from the train lines & not facing the main street a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
We were delighted to welcome you back to the Hotel once again and I am pleased that it was another most enjoyable stay.

I will be happy to pass on your comments to the staff for their high levels of customer service they gave during this your stay. I am glad that our refurbished areas met with your approval and our location continues to be ideal for both the City station and the excellent night life Leeds has to offer.

We hope to see you once again soon.
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

The entrance and restaurant area is quite nice, so at first I was feeling happy with my choice. This was soon dashed as the receptionist slid over the desk an old school room key with a huge chunk of plastic attached to it, I started to get a bad feeling. I then headed towards my room. The corridors are bright blue and green and look like they where decorated in the early 90's. The room itself was a disgrace. Two single beds in a tiny room with a passage way between them leading to a shabby bath room. On the desk was a cheap old 15" television. I downed my complimentary wine and headed for reception to demand a refund. At this point they offered me an alternative room which was considerably better but still poor for the price and so called 3 star rating.

This hotel is over priced and over starred, incredibly noisy at night, very hot and uncomfortable in the summer. It would be a 2 star charging roughly £40 a night. Instead It's listed as 3 star and charging £80 a night.

They did however sort me out when I was upset with my room. The food is also very nice and a good price.

Room Tip: If you get a terrible room and you have nowhere else to stay. Ask to seen another room. They vary qu...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Philip C
I apolgise that your stay with us was not to your complete liking.

The Hotel still has a traditional key locking system for the bedrooms as we are not a newly purpose built Hotel where key cards are typically the standard. We are currently refurbishing a number of bedrooms and are in the process of fitting key card locks to these rooms as well as redecorating our corridors. The room you stayed in is due for a full refurbishment which will include the bathroom and changing of the remaining old style 22 inch televisions. The majority of our bedrooms do have 26 to 32 inch LCD televisions as standard.

I am disappointed to read that you felt that the hotel did not meet your expectations in terms of star rating we have just been re-assessed by the AA who have once again rated us as 82% which is one of the highest ratings that a 3 star can achieve and we have been advised that should our rooms be refurbished to the current standard we could be rated as 4 star.

The rate we offer is competitive against other similar properties and the demand for bedrooms in Leeds and starts from as little as £44 per night. We are always pleased to try and offer a bedroom that meets our guest’s expectations and I am disappointed that following the Hotels prompt room move after you had checked in that you felt the room was still not to your liking.

It was pleasing to read that you found the food to be both enjoyable and good value and I do hope that you would consider staying with us once again in the future.