“A little dated but great location, friendly staff and good food.......” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cosmopolitan Hotel

and 1 more site!
Cosmopolitan Hotel
Ranked #20 of 86 Hotels in Leeds
Blackpool, United Kingdom
“A little dated but great location, friendly staff and good food.......”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Spent a birthday break here using a great value 'Gold Voucher'. The hotel is in a great location two minutes from the city centre and only a few minutes from Leeds Railway Station. I did find the hotel a little 'tired and dated', however the staff were friendly and helpful. I was also 'upgraded' as part of my dear to a Superior Room which only really left me grateful I wasn't in a 'Standard' as it was quite small and overlooked cenrat heating/ air conditioning ducts etc. Bit of a mixed review and without the deal I would probably be able to get a better deal elsewhere. Nevertheless, if you want a good location and an 'okay' stay and can get a good deal you should be happy here................

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Keighley, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

Kept awake all night in a cold room , noise from wine bars
and street kept me awake until 5.00am, room 101 never again.
Ordered traditional breakfast to room . Had to pay waiter at door,
No milk for cereal or tea . Cooked breakfast almost cold .Will not stay here again .

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor away from street noise .Good luck
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 682Chris
Woking, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

I was bumped out of a neighbouring hotel on arrival in the early hours and booked into the Cosmopolitan.

The room was small but had everything I needed and was very comfortable. Loved the plastic ducks for the bath. Decor was good and a nice atmosphere. Would use again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

I stayed here 2 nights on business, and paid a little more for a double rather than the singles which didn't have great reviews. I was upgraded to a triple, and the room was huge - Agree with other reviews the TV was too small for a room that size - you cant see it properly from sitting in bed.

The wi-fi didn't work!

The bathroom is looking a bit on its last legs, clean and perfectly usable but rather dated and showing signs of wear. Nice touches with the cotton wool balls, bath salts, robes etc.

I was worried about train noise - its very close to the tracks (I could probably wave to the passengers!)- but the noise was a low rumble and not that intrusive, plus it stopped by midnight-ish. The bed was clean and comfy and I slept well which is the most important thing!

One thing I did note was that some corridors smelt of smoke - If I was the hotel ALL rooms should be non smoking - the smell does seep through! (I am very sensitive to this though!)

I had dinner one night - risotto - which came with no garnish so looked rather plain and unappetising. (like a bowl of cream rice pudding). It tasted fine, but not exceptional - served a purpose rather than a treat.

Service was good, but not exceptional.

I paid £124 for a double for 2 nights (no breakfast) - I think this is the max you should pay to get value for money, maybe it was a bit too much.

Room Tip: Make sure you select Non- smoking if this is required!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Kelly M
chorley
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

We were very impressed on arrival, the hotel looked nice with a decent entrance and lobby and what looked like a good restaurant. We were three couples on a special deal which included breakfast and evening meal. My husband and I were given a large room with a very unimpressive t.v. So small that you would need binoculars to see it from the bed. It would not work with the picture going off whilst the sound remained on. We reported it and a guy was sent to look at it. He got the picture on again, however it did not stay like that for very long. The next day, the cleaner only half cleaned our bedroom and on our return we found a large black bin liner in the middle of the room with all the rubbish in it. This was at 5.30 p.m. so it wasn't that we had come back before she could finish. A pair of earrings which I had arrived in were also missing following this clean up. They were only fashion jewellery but all the same, I am not happy about the situation. Other points I would mention concern the restaurant. At the breakfast, the area available to get your food from is the smallest area I have ever seen and very badly planned. For example, I only wanted a croissant which were situated on a shelf behind the bacon, eggs and beans. etc. There was a queue to get breakfasts and I had to wait for 10 minutes before I could grab a croissant! There was no tomato sauce to be found and we had to ask for it. The first evening meal we had was good and we had a great choice and excellent service. The wine we chose was not good and had sediment and they did not charge for it. However, at the second evening meal was totally the opposite from the evening before as it was a different chef and the service was inadequate too, At 11.15 pm, we decided to have irish coffees. The waiter entered the charge in the till and then we were told there wasn't any cream to make them as it had been locked away in the fridges in the kitchen! One further point, I would like to make is that when my husband asked for a tooth pick, the waitress brought "one" over, holding it in her hand. The hotel was warm all the time, there was always plenty of hot water but the negative aspects of our stay only allows me to give this hotel an average score. One more point, I have been told that guests are offered a free glass of wine when checking in, however, this did not happen in our case so maybe they have stopped it.

Room Tip: Apparently some rooms have large televisions so I would ask for one of those.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Guildford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

Great location for city centre. Refurbished bar, restaurant and reception done nicely. Our room was also refurbished nicely although the bathroom hadn't been and did look a little tired. But overall a pleasant stay with an average breakfast included.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank GarethTurnbull
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

The hotel lobby is very nice but this is where it stops.... The room was clean when we arrived but looked very old fashioned, it looked like the sort of room that had an old musty smell to it..... Thank fully this was not the case. We never ate in the hotel so can not comment on the food although the restaurant did look very inviting. I can't say i'd never stay in this hotel again because the location is ideal for a night out. However I would most definately request a different room as my bed was full of springs and in need of replacing.

Overall ok for what it was, however when compared to the price it was somewhat expensive for what we got. Its a shame because with a fantastic location and very friendly staff this hotel could of being so much more.

Ohhh I forgot to mention that we stayed in the hotel for two nights and on both mornings the house keeping came in at 8:30. As we where still in the room they left but never returned at any point to clean or re stock the room.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends