“Great Staff Make up for Poor Elite Program”

Leeds Marriott Hotel
Ranked #23 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Barrington, Illinois
“Great Staff Make up for Poor Elite Program”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We have stayed here many times and always have liked it. As a Silver status Marriott Reward guest, I did not get much of anything special because of my status (no free internet, no room upgrade, no lounge or complimentary breakfast – Marriot really needs to upgrade what was once a fine program to be more competitive, with say, Hilton, which offers all of these at a comparable level). However staff went above and beyond to make up for this and we found the front desk clerk (Steve, I believe) particularly accommodating. Breakfast was a poor value (about £17 or $28) but with a coupon (which you strangely had to buy each day for a more reasonable £10/day (or about $16). It was a decent, but not outstanding, English Breakfast Buffet. Bed and linen were great and comfortable. Shower power with hand held option was fine (and my wife approved) but seemed to be designed for very short guests (less than about five foot seven) when using in-place option. Internet was very pricey (£15 or $24/day) but free WI- FI was available for 30 minutes per day (when it worked -which was not very often)- but strangely only in bar!). They were in the process of installing a new system and all of this might change, however. A pleasant surprise was the re-doing of the restaurant for dinner into an excellent steak/seafood restaurant. The chef was available, very nice and very helpful (he educated me that grilled sea trout looks and tastes a lot like poached salmon!…tasty by any name). The check was accompanied by a little grill with marshmallows to toast and shaved chocolate to coat marshmallows- a very nice touch!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
GuestMarriott, Guest Relations Manager at Leeds Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear travelingdoc42

I am pleased that you overall enjoyed your stay with us from a service point of view.
From reading your comments I am assuming you stayed a while ago because we have made some changes since then.

The ibahn internet system has now been upgraded.
The Internet is still chargeable at £15 but we have extended the free access to one hour and it is now available in the Bar, Restaurant and the Lobby.
We recently started to offer a £10 breakfast deal to all our guests that are on a room only rate to hopefully encourage them to take breakfast with us.
I am sure you will agree that the £7.95 is a great saving each day.
I have passed on your comments to the Chefs regarding the Midtown Grill.

The Marriott Rewards scheme is very structured and when you achieve Gold & Platinum level other benefits become available like room upgrade when available and free internet.

Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any further help explaining the Marriott Rewards Scheme.

I do hope we are able to welcome you back to the Leeds Marriott in the near future.

Paul Collins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
West Kingston, Rhode Island
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I spent a night on business here the 16th of January. I guess the best thing you can take away from this review is that this is a typical Marriott. Looks like 90% of the other Marriott's I've stayed in, same decoration and layout. The only thing I would say negative on the room was the bathrooms look like they need to be refreshed. Other than that, everything else was fine. The location of the hotel was especially good, being right down town in the middle of everything. I ended up walking to the restaurant for dinner, and there were many choices around the hotel. They also have a concierge lounge, which you could go in any time of day for refreshments, and they had free alcohol at night. The lounge, again, was like most of the other Marriott's I've stayed in. The hotel also had a gym, although not the greatest I've seen, it was OK even though it was a little tight. All in all, a good stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mark C
GuestMarriott, Guest Relations Manager at Leeds Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear Mark C

Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us here at the Leeds Marriott.

I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay with us.
Some of the bathrooms I agree are showing signs of wear and will be part of the next room’s refurbishment.

Once again thank you for the review and i hope to welcome you back to the Leeds Marriott in the near future.

Harris22
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Our family of 4 spent a weekend in a Rochester Suite at the Marriott Leeds in January 2013 at a cost of £209 per night including breakfast and access to the executive lounge. The suite consisted of two bedrooms ... bedroom one was very spacious with an Superkingsize bed, en-suite bathroom with shower over bath, toilet, sink & bidet. In the room was an easychair bedside tables a dressing table, large television and mini-bar fridge. The only downside was that I didn't find the bed particularly comfortable, a bit too hard for me. From the bedroom was a passageway with wardrobe, trouser press, and tea/coffee making facilities, then to a hall which led to a second bathroom with a shower over bath, sink & toilet. The hall also led to a lounge area which contained a two seater settee and two single seater easy chairs, a desk with tea & coffee making facilities and a large TV from the lounge was a flight of stairs to the second bedroom which had a king size bed, bedside tables and a TV. There were no wardrobes or storage space in the second bedroom apart from the single drawer in each bedside table. The tea & coffee making facilities consisted of a Kettle with sachets of nescafe and tetleys teabags and little cartons of UHT milk which I found disappointing ... from this class of hotel I would have preferred an espresso coffee or filter coffee facility or similar. The rooms were all spotlessly clean and well serviced. The breakfast was superb, very high standard and variety of cooked breakfast, cereals, cold meats, fruit, yoghurts and pastries with very good service. The executive lounge served free soft drinks all day and free alcoholic drinks (only lager, red wine or white wine) between 5pm and 9pm during our weekend. There was also a free buffet served in the executive lounge between 6pm and 8pm consisting of a couple of choices of hot food (night one was fish & chips ... bit soggy, night two was chinese style spring rolls and chinese chicken ... pretty good). plus crisps, cheese & biscuits, popcorn and other nibbles. All in all the buffet was pretty poor. The swimming pool and facilities were very good. The parking was very expensive. The bars attached to the hotel were very expensive. All in all a very enjoyable stay with no real complaints but wouldn't pay the prices for the hotel bars and restaurants (of which there are a few). Excellent city centre location too ... two minutes walk to the main shopping area of Leeds.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Harris22

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for your recent stay with us here at the Leeds Marriott.

I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay with us.
We have taken on board your comments regarding the food served in the Executive Lounge.
We don’t normally have fish and chips in the Lounge but we tried it and i agree with you it was not to crispy after a while.

We have taken on board your comments regarding the facilities in the second bedroom of the Rochester Suite and most of them will be addressed when the refurbishment is done.

Brigg, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I booked two adjacent rooms for our party of four, including my three year old grandson. The hotel dealt with all my requests. Breakfast was one of the best Marriott breakfast that I have had and I have stayed in many of this chain's hotels around the World. We had lunch in the bar and the portions were huge, well presented and competitively priced. We will stay there again. Staff, especially the concierge and recptionists, were very accommodating.

Room Tip: Parking is expensive in Leeds City Centre. Parking at the hotel is either self park in reserved spac...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
GuestMarriott, Guest Relations Manager at Leeds Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear WilliamWrawby

Thank you for your review for your recent stay with us here at the Leeds Marriott.

It is always great to get positive feedback about the hotel and our associates.
I have passed on your comments to all the staff.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Stayed at the Leeds Marriott 27/12/12 to 29/12/12
Arrival at the hotel and check in was very easy – we took the valet parking for just £1:50 more than parking yourself (but £19:50 per night is steep). Check in staff very helpful and pleasant.

Room on 5th floor as requested very nice view of the square. The rooms are nice and clean beds very comfortable. The rooms whilst nice are in need of refurbishment as they are becoming rather warn. In addition, they have a problem with the heating / air conditioning – this is evident by the fan heater and fan in the wardrobe. I don’t usually bother when people put photos up of the water stain on bathes and sinks however for this 4 star hotel I feel they need to do something with the dated sink with a discussing stain on it from the water.
The bathroom over all is very good with nice toiletries soft towels, one complaint is much the same in most hotels the air vent in the bath room is not adequate for taking away smells and steam from that area.
Good little area for making hot drinks, although they could do with a little lighting in that area.
No free Wi-Fi at this hotel.
FOOD
Breakfast – Very good lots of choice hot and cold the hot food was always hot and very tasty. Again sadly, I did have issue with the milk jug at breakfast having sour milk in it – this was changed quickly upon request. However, the next one was also sour, it turned out that it was the milk jug that had sour milk on the spout and a ring around the inside. This is not acceptable for a hotel of this standard and supposed quality.
We did not have a drink in the bar but did have a couple of coffee’s (latté and cappuccino) to take up to our room – sadly when we got to the room a minute or two later we found the coffee was cold and tasted disgusting.
The gym/ pool.
We didn’t use the gym but did use the pool, hot tub and sauna. This area has recently had a referb and is the biggest pool in Leeds hotels. The hot tub is a welcome sight after a day walking around the shops. However, this is a bad design as it is next to the shower – so you get the water that people flick off them when they get out of the shower, or at the other side is the children’s pool who are having fun running / jumping in and out of the pool. I do not want to stop them from having a good time at all don’t get me wrong but when you’re trying to relax its rather annoying. This is the hotel/ design fault not the kids.
Coming out of the pool in to the changing room they are small but adequate. Unfortunately, I fell over the weighing scales in the changing room braking my toe. These were in a stupid place – when I reported this to the attendant his first words were “are the scales broke?” This either show’s his lack of customer care or it has happened so many times they think it’s funny. I always say health and safety has gone mad in the UK but this need sorting out before someone is hurt badly.

If these negative points are sorted out this is a fantastic hotel in the heart of Leeds. Yes I would stay again but it would probably be after refurbishment.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the lift and ice machine
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GuestMarriott, Guest Relations Manager at Leeds Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear jimforbes

I have passed on you comments to our Food and Beverage Manager and the Leisure Club Manager.
I would like to apologise for the milk at breakfast and I have to agree with you that this is not up to our standards.
The bathrooms are showing signs of wear but these will be part of the main refurbishment.

I am pleased that you overall enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back after the refurbishment.

Glasgow - UK
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights whilst working in Leeds recently. It was between here, the Radisson or the Malmaison and all had their negative points which made deciding which one to stay at quite difficult. In the end very glad I opted for Marriott.

Positives
• Location – right in the centre across the road from the main shopping area.
• Executive Rooms – excellent size with Queen bed and large working desk with good chair (important for me if working from the room)
• Very low noise levels despite a building site across the road (new Leeds Trinity shopping centre) – must have good sound dampening.
• Executive Lounge – nice and quiet place to grab a drink or snack before dinner. Bottled water available to take away as well which was good.
• Breakfast in Exec lounge perfectly fine for my needs although some may find there is not a massive choice (they had a few cooked items which I did not expect!)
• Free wireless access in room as saying in Exec room (normally £15 for 24 hours). I hadn’t expected to get this, as free wireless was only advertised as being in Exec Lounge, so this was a great bonus and meant I did not actually spend much time in the Lounge.
• Leisure Facilities – Fantastic! All very modern and clean. One of the main reasons I opted for this hotel (alongside Exec Room privileges).

Negatives
There were a few little negatives, these did not detract from my overall experience, but were certainly noticed
• Bathroom whilst nicely tiled with large corner mirror but it did have a few problems..
o Shower (over the bath) was too low (and I am only average height). The rail to adjust the height only allowed you to put it up to about head height meaning you had to angle it towards your face (i.e. could not have the showerhead above you).
o Sink (made of a black material) was looking worn and full of scratches.
o Hand towel rail was in an awkward place (directly above toilet).
• Air conditioning even on coolest setting had little effect on room temperature (which was always slightly too warm).
• Could do with better parking discounts at local car parks (e.g. Q Park). They only offer 10% off at NCP which is not very much compared to discounts available when staying at other hotels.

In terms of Food – room service food was ok. I also tried the AM Kitchen Indian (as I’m sure I had read it was supposed to be good) although I would definitely not recommend as it was below average (chicken was rubbery as if it was from a ready meal and the naan bread was terrible).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
GuestMarriott, Guest Relations Manager at Leeds Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear st3v3n

Thank you for your detailed review.
I am pleased you have chosen us over the other City Centre Hotels when staying in Leeds.
Thank you for all the positive comments regarding the hotel overall.

I would like to have the opportunity to discuss some of the negative points with you sometime so please let me know when you are in.

Look forward to hearing from you .

Shropshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Great central location in Leeds. Normal high Marriot standards for the room and facilities, however the stay was marred by a couple of issues which can easilly spoil the experience.
The supervisor in Bar 1871 was discourteous and disagreeable, deciding to argue that filling a glass for a Gin and Tonic full to the brim with ice without asking was a valid choice. It was certainly a case of the staff are always right.
The breakfast was also disappointing, with most of the cooked food tepid, the bacon of poor quality and overcooked, and the queue to make one's own toast causing long delays. Why can hotels not provide machines which toast bread in one pass tather than having one pass which is not sufficient ensuring that a second pass is required which then cremates the stuff.
I would possibly visit again because of the convenience, but would not visit the bar or take breakfast.
Reception staff were most helpful.
If one is driving to the hotel and wishing to use the advised parking, then I would suggest using the valet option (only a small surcharge). To park oneself, take care to take the small side road to the hotel itself and drive through the courttyard before turning right afterwards. There is no sign for the car park at all.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GuestMarriott, Guest Relations Manager at Leeds Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear AnIdiotAnywhere

Thank you for the review for your recent stay with us here at the Leeds Marriott.

I am sorry to hear that the service in our 1871 bar was not up to standard.
I have passed on your comments to our Bar Manager who also sends his apologies but rest assured he will be following through on the standards of service.
The toaster at breakfast is a bit of a problem due to guests adjusting the settings so we are trying to source another toaster that we can preset the controls so hopefully we can get evenly cooked toast. (I do share your frustrations on the toaster)

Please let me know when you will be staying with us again and I will ensure that you have a problem free stay with us.
(Toaster permitting)