“rooms not as great as the pictures”

Leeds Marriott Hotel
Ranked #23 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
West Yorkshire
“rooms not as great as the pictures”
Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for my husbands birthday. This is the 2nd time we have been here, first time was 12 years ago.

NEGATIVES:
Booked an executive room, unfortunately however the room we got was NOT like the picture on the website, it was the same as a standard so after I pointed this out we were moved and got a free bottle of wine.
Look at the room you've been allocated first & do a comparison with other rooms available and also request to not be at the back near Mission nightclub!

Don't stay here for the view, all you can see from any of its windows are bus stops, building works and drunken nightclubbers. You can see straight into the room from outside in the street if you have a light on, the net curtains don't do much for privacy.

I found various stains on the sheets, pillows, curtains in the new room.

Executive lounge is very small but you get free food and wine, help yourself too so that was worth it!

Room service we paid £11.50 plus £3.50 tray charge for one club sandwich was was tiny, In sliced bread and came with a few chips, see pic.

Some parts of the hotel are in great need of refurbishment however some have been updated, it's like they didn't finish it off.

The first room we were given had an old fashioned granny bathroom, the second however had been totally refurbished!

POSITIVES:

Food & restaurant at breakfast was perfect, buffet style and very tasty!

Room Service is quick

The executive lounge access with free food and drinks / alcohol

Bed was comfortable

IN SUMMARY:

There are better quality hotels in Leeds to stay in which don't have this ones price tag.
Try not to stay here for a romantic break as there is too much noise from outside and not much privacy.

• Stayed September 2012
GuestMarriott, Guest Relations Manager at Leeds Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Dear Clare-Will

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for your recent stay with us here at the Leeds Marriott.

I would like to have a conversation with regarding the points you have raised as there are several to address.
Could you please either contact me by calling 0113 2366366 or email paul.collins@marriotthotels.com

I look forward to hearing from you.

Paul Collins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Durham
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Stayed for Friday and Saturday night and had a wonderful time. The staff in the hotel are superb and the location of the hotel is central to everything. Leeds is awful to drive through and the hotel is not easy to find, but is well worth it when you arrive.

Our room did not overlook the main street so it was quiet, but I can imagine it being very noisy in some rooms. The breakfast was lovely. I am not normally a big fan of buffet food but this was excellent. All the food was hot and in plentiful supply. There was a really good selection of fruit and the coffee was nice. Staff serving were clearing tables promptly and could not do enough to help.

We also ate in the Mid Town Grill on the Saturday night. We had not planned to, as we had booked to go to Bibbis. When we arrived at Bibbis it was overbooked and we knew we would have a long wait, so my husband suggested we ate in the hotel. Am so pleased we did as it was superb (see review) The food and service were faultless and the marshmallows at the end were a nice touch. We also got 25% off food as hotel residents, which I think is a good idea as it encourages people to eat in the hotel.

I would highly recommend this hotel. It is nice and modern with good staff and food. We will definitely be returning in future

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear DurhamHolly

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for your recent stay with us.

I have passed on your comments to all our associates.
What can I say Bibis loss was our gain.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Leeds Marriott in the near future.

Southport
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Stayed at the Marriott on Saturday 13th October 2012, we had booked an executive room on the third floor at the front of the hotel looking out over the main entrance of the hotel.
First impressions were excellent, the staff are very friendly and polite the hotel looks very smart and upmarket.
The executive room was lovely, the executive lounge was comfortable and relaxing at this point the hotel had top marks.
I used the gym which was ok and then ordered room service, which was the best curry I had tasted in along time from the in house Indian restaurant.
At midnight tried to go to sleep this is were it all went wrong because the room was overlooking the square, people were using a cut through from the main road boars lane to the road at the back of the hotel.
This resulted in noise from 10pm until at least 5am, at one point a group of four people chanting outside of the hotel entrance at 2.30am waiting for a taxi pick up, the hotel reception did not intervene.
The constant horn blowing of taxis again went on until at least 5am, I understood that locals council had a law preventing taxis using there horn after midnight in residential areas???.
The overall result was no sleep for the night, and then a 2 hour drive to complete that morning, thanks Marriott.
We rang reception and complained and they offered us earplugs as some form of compensation!!.
No apology was offered or discount just a blank look as if the staff were blissfully unaware of this issue.
Marriott need to address this issue otherwise they ae going to lose a lot of business and keep having negative reviews placed on trip advisor.
The windows need to be soundproof to a higher standard or the square needs to be gated off to stop the drunks wondering through from boar lane.
Really disappointed in our stay as this massively changed my opinion of the hotel especially at £150 for a executive room come on Marriott sort it out or lose your returning customers.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear BPASouthport

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I would like to discuss the points you have raised in your review so if at all possible could you please call me on 0113 2366366 or email me paul.collins@marriotthotels.com with a contact number and a convenient time to call.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Hull, UK
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Just back from a great weekend at the Marriott - all the staff were very friendly. Even, better, we were upgraded to a suite! The hotel is centrally located - near shops and restaurants. The concierge was very helpful at suggesting eating places and also a lovely walk along the Aire/Calder Navigation on Sunday morning. Breakfast was (as per usual in Marriott hotels) very comprehensive. We tried the bar in the evening - can recommend the strawberry Bellini's! Although our room faced the front (Boar Lane), it wasn't noisy at all.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Judy F

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us here at the Leeds Marriott.

I am very please you enjoyed your upgrade and our 1871 Bar.

I have passed on your comments to all the associates.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the Leeds Marriott in the near future.

Billericay, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel on a Saturday night. On arrival things looked promising, we were greeted by the Concierge who parked our car for us (additional charge but worth it). Check in was fine but then it went downhill. Our room was on the 4th floor overlooking the 24hr McDonalds + Cab Rank. We got back to our room at Midnight and spent the rest of the night listening to Cabs honking their horns, drunks shouting and swearing and Emergency service Sirens. Rang Reception and their suggestion was to offer us earplugs, so clearly they are aware of the problem. Rooms have no sound insulation at all. Gave up at 4am and drove home for some sleep. Hotel didn't even offer us any compensation for the missed breakfast!!!
I did visit the Pool area in the afternoon but that was a waste of time. Sauna - Not working, Jacuzzi - Not working. Overheard Gym members complaining about the membership costs and nothing ever working. Don't waste your money, find somewhere else to stay if visiting Leeds

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank EssexSyd
Dear EssexSyd

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I would like to discuss the points you have raised in your review.
Could you please call me on 0113 2366366 or email me on paul.collins@marriotthotels.com
with a contact number and a convenient time to call.

Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2012

the hotel has everything you could require and a step out of the lobby onto the main walk to the corn exchange and city centre. the Indian AM that is under the hotel is fanastic and what with the original Dyson surroundings makes it an excellent place to eat. would highly 5 Star this hotel for rooms, breakfast,location and service

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank dawn l
Dear dawn l

Thank you for your review.

I have passed on your comments to AM Kitchen and all our Associates.

I hope we can welcome you back to the Leeds Marriott in the near future.

Yorkshire
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Typically Marriott in terms of decor, style etc. HOWEVER, if you would like any amount of sleep then this hotel is not for you. Stayed in a 4th floor room and from the moment I turned the TV off at 1030pm it was obvious that there is ZERO sound insulation from the street below.

There was constant noise from cars, drunken people shouting as they left pubs and clubs all the way through the night.... Literally ALL through the night. This wasnt just background noise but it sounded like they were right outside of the window, not to mention the noise of the ventilation fans on the roof. There was a brief pause around 530am but then the street cleaners came out and the noise continued.

The staff are fully aware of this noise and make no mention of this at check in...... fully aware as they dont even bother asking if you had a pleasant stay when you check-out...!!!

Seriously, if you want sleep then DO NOT STAY HERE. If you're planning on coming back to your room in a drunken stupor at 3/4 am then you may manage some sleep.

Room Tip: Dont stay here - far too noisy for any quality of sleep to be achieved.