“No sleep if you stay on a Saturday !!!”

Leeds Marriott Hotel
Ranked #25 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Stayed at the Marriott on Saturday 13th October 2012, we had booked an executive room on the third floor at the front of the hotel looking out over the main entrance of the hotel.
First impressions were excellent, the staff are very friendly and polite the hotel looks very smart and upmarket.
The executive room was lovely, the executive lounge was comfortable and relaxing at this point the hotel had top marks.
I used the gym which was ok and then ordered room service, which was the best curry I had tasted in along time from the in house Indian restaurant.
At midnight tried to go to sleep this is were it all went wrong because the room was overlooking the square, people were using a cut through from the main road boars lane to the road at the back of the hotel.
This resulted in noise from 10pm until at least 5am, at one point a group of four people chanting outside of the hotel entrance at 2.30am waiting for a taxi pick up, the hotel reception did not intervene.
The constant horn blowing of taxis again went on until at least 5am, I understood that locals council had a law preventing taxis using there horn after midnight in residential areas???.
The overall result was no sleep for the night, and then a 2 hour drive to complete that morning, thanks Marriott.
We rang reception and complained and they offered us earplugs as some form of compensation!!.
No apology was offered or discount just a blank look as if the staff were blissfully unaware of this issue.
Marriott need to address this issue otherwise they ae going to lose a lot of business and keep having negative reviews placed on trip advisor.
The windows need to be soundproof to a higher standard or the square needs to be gated off to stop the drunks wondering through from boar lane.
Really disappointed in our stay as this massively changed my opinion of the hotel especially at £150 for a executive room come on Marriott sort it out or lose your returning customers.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
GuestMarriott, Guest Relations Manager at Leeds Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2012

Dear BPASouthport

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I would like to discuss the points you have raised in your review so if at all possible could you please call me on 0113 2366366 or email me paul.collins@marriotthotels.com with a contact number and a convenient time to call.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Paul Collins

Write a ReviewReviews (2,183)

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Just back from a great weekend at the Marriott - all the staff were very friendly. Even, better, we were upgraded to a suite! The hotel is centrally located - near shops and restaurants. The concierge was very helpful at suggesting eating places and also a lovely walk along the Aire/Calder Navigation on Sunday morning. Breakfast was (as per usual in Marriott hotels) very comprehensive. We tried the bar in the evening - can recommend the strawberry Bellini's! Although our room faced the front (Boar Lane), it wasn't noisy at all.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Judy F

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us here at the Leeds Marriott.

I am very please you enjoyed your upgrade and our 1871 Bar.

I have passed on your comments to all the associates.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the Leeds Marriott in the near future.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel on a Saturday night. On arrival things looked promising, we were greeted by the Concierge who parked our car for us (additional charge but worth it). Check in was fine but then it went downhill. Our room was on the 4th floor overlooking the 24hr McDonalds + Cab Rank. We got back to our room at Midnight and spent the rest of the night listening to Cabs honking their horns, drunks shouting and swearing and Emergency service Sirens. Rang Reception and their suggestion was to offer us earplugs, so clearly they are aware of the problem. Rooms have no sound insulation at all. Gave up at 4am and drove home for some sleep. Hotel didn't even offer us any compensation for the missed breakfast!!!
I did visit the Pool area in the afternoon but that was a waste of time. Sauna - Not working, Jacuzzi - Not working. Overheard Gym members complaining about the membership costs and nothing ever working. Don't waste your money, find somewhere else to stay if visiting Leeds

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank EssexSyd

Dear EssexSyd

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I would like to discuss the points you have raised in your review.
Could you please call me on 0113 2366366 or email me on paul.collins@marriotthotels.com
with a contact number and a convenient time to call.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

the hotel has everything you could require and a step out of the lobby onto the main walk to the corn exchange and city centre. the Indian AM that is under the hotel is fanastic and what with the original Dyson surroundings makes it an excellent place to eat. would highly 5 Star this hotel for rooms, breakfast,location and service

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank dawn l

Dear dawn l

Thank you for your review.

I have passed on your comments to AM Kitchen and all our Associates.

I hope we can welcome you back to the Leeds Marriott in the near future.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Typically Marriott in terms of decor, style etc. HOWEVER, if you would like any amount of sleep then this hotel is not for you. Stayed in a 4th floor room and from the moment I turned the TV off at 1030pm it was obvious that there is ZERO sound insulation from the street below.

There was constant noise from cars, drunken people shouting as they left pubs and clubs all the way through the night.... Literally ALL through the night. This wasnt just background noise but it sounded like they were right outside of the window, not to mention the noise of the ventilation fans on the roof. There was a brief pause around 530am but then the street cleaners came out and the noise continued.

The staff are fully aware of this noise and make no mention of this at check in...... fully aware as they dont even bother asking if you had a pleasant stay when you check-out...!!!

Seriously, if you want sleep then DO NOT STAY HERE. If you're planning on coming back to your room in a drunken stupor at 3/4 am then you may manage some sleep.

Room Tip: Dont stay here - far too noisy for any quality of sleep to be achieved.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Matt_Yorkshire

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for your stay with us here at the Leeds Marriott.

I am sorry that you had a disturbed nights sleep.
We do suffer on some of the rooms lately on the 4th floor Executive rooms.
Most of the Executive rooms are triple glazed so this helps with the associated outside noise from the City Centre night life.
Matt should you have the opportunity to stay with us again please let me know and I will do my best to ensure you have a good nights sleep.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

The Leeds Marriot is well positioned just off the bottom of the main shopping road Brigate. It is quie tricky to get to as it sits in a little secluded square of the main loop ring road so leae plenty of time for a couple of trips around the loop before you find it! We paid to have the car valet parked which, at £20:00 for 24 hrs, is not cheap but the car parks in city centre leeds are all between £15-18 anyway.
The room was very clean and well equipped with tea and coffee making facilities and a lovely comfortable bed. The staff were all very helpful and made us feel very welcome. We stayed overnight on a Saturday and the breakfast on Sunday was from 6:30 - to 12:00 , very civilised.The breakfast, included in the deal, was excellent with a wide choice of traditional full english, continental pastries and a range of cheeses and meats. This gave us time to sample the great pool and spa facilities before our "brunch" at 11:00. All in all, a good base to explore Leeds, resonable prices and good service. I'll be back

Room Tip: You may want to ask for a room facing the back of the hotel to void the main road noise although you...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Veteran_traveller041

I am pleased you enjoyed stay with us and I see that you enjoyed your ‘Brunch’
We do try to offer various deals on the car parking but I do agree with you they are not the best prices in the country.

Look forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Great lovation for shopping and The Leeds Armories. Appeared to have a blocked sink inmy room on arrival but reported when I went for dinner and was fixed by time I returned to room, with a small card to say it had been done. Beautiful foot in the restaurant and great breakfast choices.

• Stayed: October 2012
GuestMarriott, Guest Relations Manager at Leeds Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Dear pollyjb

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay with us here at the Leeds Marriott Hotel.
I am pleased you enjoyed you stay with us.
I have passed on your comments to all our associates.
We hope to see you again soon.