“Satisfactory”

The Met Hotel Leeds
Ranked #44 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed June 3, 2009

I was wary to go based on some of the reviews previously posted. The receptionist was very politely on arriving, and whilst the overall decor (particularly the carpets) required replacing the room was clean, and the bed comfy. The bathroom was probably the best part. I was confused whether I was at the front or back of the hotel, as all I could see out of the rather old windows was scaffolding. However it was quiet enough to me. My impression would hae been different if my room was close to the lift was the bell call would have totally driven me mental.

The real down side was the price of the internet connection, and the car parking. If I had realised I would have parked in the street opposite from the time that I arrived, and then moved the car early in the morning. It would have been just as safe and would have been easier to manouvre in. I did that the second night. (call me a cheap skate!!)

Reviewed June 2, 2009

Was a bit nervous as the reviews for this are very mixed. However I wanted 1 night in the middle of Leeds for work and this was fine. Room was clean but on the small side and a little shabby. Staff didn't give a tinkers about anything. Location was really easy and very central. I paid £50 for a double room which was fine but I wouldn't pay more or use it for romance!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 29, 2009

As previously stated on many, many occasions, this should NOT be a four-star hotel. It needs to be reclassified by the powers that be. It's by no means the worst hotel in Leeds (I've stayed in most over the past two years) but it has its flaws, and these are highly noticeable. It is, however, the worst four-star hotel in the city, without question. The lobby is fine, but beyond this, the hotel and its rooms are not.

It's in a perennial state of refurbishment. I stayed there 2 years ago and again recently, and there have been very few changes. It's fine preserving the brickwork, but that doesn't provide me with a cold drink from the minibar at the end of the day. It's also very, very noisy. Whilst the hotel are emptying the bins at stupid o'clock, simultaneous testing of floorboard declibel levels seems to get underway. Gaping gaps in the door let in every call of "owshkiiiipping", and the traffic noise is less than obscured by windows that, although unopenable, seem to magnetically attract unwanted sounds.

It isn't charming. It's rickety. You may well get a cheap rate, but comically overpriced extras such as car parking, the prospect of a £9.95 cheese and tomato sandwich (come on - it's a sandwich!) and internet access at £15 A DAY would rocket any rate beyond what are clearly finer hotels in the city, and ones which offer better value when it comes to those little extras.

Avoid these, get a cheap rate and it's barely a 3/5. If you're planning on making the most of your stay in Leeds, avoid. There are many, many better hotels. Whilst it's official assessment is more than a little ambitious, its tripadvisor rating doesn't lie. If viewed as a very good two star hotel or an average 3 star hotel, you mightn't be disappointed.

Reviewed May 27, 2009

I was offered a traditional room on the top floor. I must admit the room was certainly traditional, like a throw back from a 80's dinner party. Tatty, cheap, tired and battered decor and furniture, a window that could not be opened or fully closed, no air conditioning (it was boiling) and the offer of the cheap, noisy, oscillating fan and the drone of traffic for comfort. It's nice to see £6m was well invested in the restoration in keeping with a grade II listed building.

At 1am I called reception to leave. A night porter (very nice fellow) secured me another room and thankfully a fan which was a marginal step up from the previous nightmare. The room was small, a single bed and once again noisy and uncomfortable.
A four star hotel, £6m investment, £2m spent on oscillating fans from Argos! It's a good job the service as just as bad (except the night porter)

I'm a seasoned traveler, I spend 2-3 nights a week in hotels up and down the country and I can safely say stay somewhere else, don’t take the risk when there are so many safer options.

The Service is a joke, as a Brit who doesn't complain ….. for once did ! I got a very lackluster apology. Clearly this hotel needs every penny it can get, to complete floor six and acquire further oscillating fans!

Terrible !

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
MetManager, General Manager at The Met Hotel Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2009

Dear Guest

I was very disappointed to read your comments regarding your recent stay. It is true to say the traditional rooms are older in décor than contemporary rooms, however customers do feel the benefit of this in the price. As a listed building we do experience some restrictions in terms of facilities but most customers enjoy the ambience of the property.

We as a team we endeavour to offer the very best in service and take all comments /feedback as way of driving our service offering forward, and therefore would like to thank you for your comments which we will work upon resolving immediately. I am more than happy to discuss the issues you experienced with you if you would like to contcat me.

Reviewed May 26, 2009

Having read the recent poor reviews for the Met I just want to put the record straight having spent the bank holiday weekend here. The staff were all excellent. The room was great. The bed was comfy. Breakfast was a very enjoyable experience. It was incredible value for money & i'm planning another visit soon. Well done the Met.
Little tip for anyone going to Leeds, try Thai Edge for your lunch & Blackhouse for your evening meal, both walking distance from the Met & both on top form.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple

Dear Karl

I am very grateful to you for putting the positives of The Met forward and would like to thank you for the 5 score that you gave us. We are constantly endeavouring to improve our product and service and I can assure you that the comfort and enjoyment of our guests is the key focus of the team.

Leeds, is a great city and we are so well placed in the heart of the city but on a quiet street. I do hope we can welcome you back and would be delighted if you could let me know so that I could ensure we enhance your visit.

Best Wishes

Reviewed May 17, 2009

stayed at the met hotel 17 may 2009 the hotel was great the room was nice and clean the bathroom was very large . the hotel staff was very friendly and helpful i would recomend this hotel to anybody. it was very quiet at night never heard a thing breakfast was very good there was a good selection to choose from

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your score of 5. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel. Being a listed building we have some exceptionally large rooms which I consider well worth the small extra charge to upgrade.

We offer a wide selection of breakfast choices and the team are always keen to help if there is something you would prefer that is not available.

I do hope we can welcome you back in the future and would be delighted to hear from you should you wish to return when I can ensure we offer small token of our appreciation during your visit.

Reviewed May 17, 2009

I am very much a seasoned traveller & I can honestly say this was one of my worst experiences at a 4* hotel.

- The hotel is in the middle of a renovation (the entire hotel is covered with mesh & scaffolding covering what looked like every window) No renovation was mentioned on my confirmation.

- My bedroom was one of the "older style rooms" not only did the bed take up 90% of the floor space, but the decor has 2* quality (room 603).

- The only lift in the hotel was broken one evening. Climbing 5 flights of stairs is not the most enjoyable at the best of times.

- I requested a wake up call, which never came, thus missing an important meeting.

- Complete lack of communication between departments, my room was inclusive of dinner & I was presented with the bill!

- General sloppy service & attitude

I would avoid staying at this hotel until the refurbishments has been completed & serious training for the staff.

Dear Sir

I am very disappointed to read of your experiences at The Met Hotel. We have been carrying out some restoration work on the listed façade of the property. An emergency and is now coming to completion. As an important listed building and the oldest existing Hotel in Leeds, we have sometimes a more challenging property to run, than other modern properties, although many of our customers value the old world ambience with the modern touches.

I am sorry that you were disappointed by your recent stay and would be delighted to discuss this further with you should you wish to contact me. We do endeavour to ensure we offer quality service and would like to assure you that this will be a continuing focus for us going forward.