“Disappointing”

The Met Hotel Leeds
Ranked #43 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed September 15, 2008

I stayed at the Leeds Met for a conference and was disappointed to find that the internet access was both limited and expensive.

The rooms were clean but seem to be variable quality - mine and my colleague's were quite different in terms of size and lighting. The bed in my room was so soft I considered the floor as a more comfortable option. Catering was ok, but nothing more. Lunch was the same each day, morning coffee indistinguishable from tea!

Overall I have to give this a thumbs down, but it may be ok for an overnight stay in a city centre location.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank tadpole99
Write a ReviewReviews (1,608)

Reviewed August 21, 2008

I booked my hotel room only via lastminute.com. I booked a double deluxe room. The room was on the 4th floor room 412.
What a huge disappointment!! The bed was a very small double, the bed looked as if it had not been made correctly the ends not tucked in properly!!! The bathroom was un inviting with mould around the bathroom tiles and edges. The plug hole was blocked with the previous occupants hair!!
Paid £65.00 for this room which had views of the back of the hotel.The bedroom decor is tired and dated. Bathroom needs attention.
Room had no air conditioning, had to put electric fan on all night.
But the real let down is the hotel's car park. It charges paying guests 1-5 hrs £5.00 or £10.00 for 24 hrs. What a rip off!!!
This was not explained by the reception staff on arrival, so avoiding a wheel clamp charge of £140.00 I opted to park my car on the side street. Making sure I wake up before 8 am before traffiic warden write me a penalty for £40.00. As side street parking in leeds is also very expensive during daytime.
If travelling to leeds, find hotel where parking is at no extra cost and have peace of mind all night.
This hotel is a big let down, I will not be returning it's too expensive, and the price unfortunately does not warrant it been, classed as 4 star.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ischiascrap
Reviewed August 4, 2008

Well all i can say is make sure you are not allocated room 303 as a double unless you want to be very close at all times. The room was little bigger than the double comfortable bed.The bathroom was tiny. W hen you sat on the toilet you could touch the sink with your head if you leaned over slightly. Great if you have a touch of the old D&V , however there was no window in the bathroom and no extractor fan.In comparison 2 friend staying in room 230 had a huge room and fantastic bathroom , yet there was no price differential. Come on met sort it out. Nice breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2008
2  Thank dinglelbydo
Reviewed July 27, 2008

Have been to the met before for a conference so knew the main facilities were ok, but immediately entering the room I was disappointed. Fifth floor twin with little room to swing a cat, and as some other revieweres have noted, very dated, shabby and lacking in any facilities.

The bar and restaurant were staffed by friendly, if somewhat undertrained staff who were helpful but not overly on the ball with service.

The food was fine and room service was quick.

I would rather have stayed in a travel lodge or inn in hindsight, but expectations were a lot higher than acheivements.

Definitely no a four star in my opinion, but ok if you want close to the station or amenities, although there are several better within the same type of distance.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank Gwatty
Reviewed July 26, 2008

I felt that there was a lack of organisation about the place. There never seemed to be enough staff and those that were there appeared to be doing their best but it was not really coming together. The room that I was in was at best a basic 2* room and lacked the degree of cleanliness that I would expect. The windows in the room were old and ill fitting and on a windy night this was not good as I was constantly being woken up until I managed to jam one shut.

I will be returning to Leeds again soon but I certainly will not be staying at the Metropole and do not feel able to reccommend it to others. In giving 3 out of 5 I think I have been generous.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank NB1957
Reviewed July 22, 2008

Had a bad feeling when I walked in. Stacks of chairs in reception, a queue to check in, grubby corridors and an equally grubby lift.

Got to my room and I really would not have stayed if it was free. Little bigger than the small double bed in it and unbelievably shabby. Falling apart would be my description.

Worse still, when I went back to reception to ask for an alternative was the staff 's attitude.....not impolite, but this quite clearly was a common issue. No problems getting my deposit back and no quibble at the suggestion that the website was mis-representing many of the rooms in the hotel. I very definitely was not the first to complain.

Never ever ever stay here. It is aweful.

• Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank Billandhistravels
Reviewed July 7, 2008

The bed was the most comfortable we have ever slept on in an hotel and the room was fine. The quilt was 10.5 tog and although we requested something lighter it was not forthcoming and we had to use the one in my Dad's room. We ate out in the evening at the Red Chilli nearby which was very good but the hotel breakfast was spoilt by poor service, we had to take things such as toast and salt from other tables and there was no orange juice even though we had quite an early breakfast.
Although it has been said before, we felt the parking was ridiculously expensive at £10-it should be free to hotel guests.
We don't feel this hotel deserves its four stars because of the shoddy service and expensive parking and we would not recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family