“Another Excellent Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Met Hotel Leeds

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Met Hotel Leeds
Ranked #44 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Billingham
“Another Excellent Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

I really like this hotel having stayed here the last two occasions I have visited Leeds. I have stayed in many Leeds hotels but this hotel is a step above. It has fantastic character, some amazing rooms and friendly staff. I would like to thank in person Anja Roth who on the last 2 occasions has arranged really nice, spacious and comfortable rooms.
The Met will always be my first choice when I visit Leeds again

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Simone S, General Manager at The Met Hotel Leeds, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear Andymc67

Thank you for taking the time to leave comment on your experience here at The Met.

It was fantastic to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at The Met on your second visit.

I will be sure to pass on your wonderful comments to the team and specifically Anja who I am positive will be delighted with your comments

I hope that we are able to welcome you back to The Met many times more in the future

Simone Sansom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

This is a difficult hotel to review. I don't want to go back but this shouldn't put you off, it might be ok for you. The staff are excellent - naturally friendly and helpful. I got the feeling that some were going out of their way to help me with the oddities of the place at the risk of the wrath if their management. The staff seemed to understand the essence of customer service better than the management. The breakfast was very good ( excellent coffee) and the restaurant, lounge and reception areas have character and are very comfortable and clean. So where is my problem? Booking a reservation, the lift, the rooms and the parking. Overall it seems that you cannot be sure of what you will actually pay until the moment you leave.
1. Booking. I booked a party with about 3 rooms over 3 - 4 nights. Shortly after being confirmed I received emails suggesting upgrades for rooms on higher floors and for refurbished rooms. So I booked rooms that turned out to be of the lowest quality without being told. I have never come across this before. Between my party we had 5 different rooms and not one of them looked like the rooms pictured on the website.
2. The lift. There is one lift for about 6 people across 5 floors. Be prepared to wait awhile. The hotel staff have to use it as well. You have to use the stairs to get to the 6th floor, important if like one of our party you have difficulty with stairs.
3. The rooms we had were of 3-star build quality. In one room the shower was very slow, the water takes a while to drain away, the shower screens don't quite fit the bath, the sealant is poor, the room furniture is cheap. The rooms were overly hot and even with the window open took a couple of days to reach a sensible temp. The beds were comfortable and the rooms were clean.
4. The parking was a fiasco. They have 'clear rules that are on the website'. I didn't see them, but if you want to leave your car there for more than a night it seems that you must pay £40, which is outrageous in my view. We had an argument at reception because one person wanted us to state how long we would be parked. At most hotels I know you park overnight and that's it. Here you must state whether it's 5, 10 or more hours. After we complained they waived the fee - but I would have paid a reasonable fee.

My experience overall was one of uncertainty which mattered when our overall bill was to be over £1,000. I expect to relax at a hotel, not worry. I won't go back.

Room Tip: When you book ask for the room on the website. It would fascinating to know if they exist!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear JayeMM

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your experience. Your constructive comments are very gratefully received allow us the opportunity to evaluate our offering and improve upon this for future guests.

It appears that you have had a very mixed experience during your stay with us and for this I apologise.
It is our aim that every guest that stays with us leaves having had a completely exceptional experience and to learn that on this occasion we fell short of that is most concerning

Please accept my personal assurances that the points you have raised have been addressed with the relevant heads of department and appropriate training has been put into place in order to prevent similar occurrences in the future.

I hope that we may be able to welcome you back to The Met at some point in the near future so that we may give you a true reflection of the service and quality that we pride ourselves on.

Royston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

I stayed here during a business trip. Excellent location, very close to the train station and easy to find. The hotel was very clean and tidy. The staff were helpful and polite.
I had a double room, it was perfect for a business trip; a good desk with network cable and a very comfortable bed. It felt very safe, and there was a chain on the door which I like when traveling alone.
The breakfast was good, a cold and hot buffet with plenty of choice.
An extremely minor point, but during my stay there was no decaf tea or coffee in the room, and the bar only had decaf coffee.
I also attended a meeting here. The facilities were very good, with comfortable chairs for a day long meeting. A lovely lunch was served. Throughout the day hot and cold drinks and an impressive selection of snacks were available.
A perfect hotel for business, and I'm sure for leisure too.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear SulkyBecky

It was very pleasing to hear that you enjoyed your whole experience here at The Met and that you managed to get a taste of all the facilities that we have to offer.

In relation to your points I have now ensured that all our catering outlets are stocked with options of both decaff tea and coffee

England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014

So when you arrive at the hotel, you are greeted by a lovely recpetion area which is really clean and modern but has some character to it aswell.

Check in was really easy and we were 30 minutes early for check in but they allocated a room for us straight away.

There is only 1 lift in the hotel for guests and staff so you may have to wait a couple of minutes, when we got to the 3rd floor we were greeted by room service trays left outside of the lift with left food and bottles on there - not a great first impression

The room was very small and they sell it as a double room but its not its got a queen size bed in there so if you want to stretch out in the night there is no chance.

We book a dinner inclusive package - the food was edible but not amazing - You get £25 per person to spend but if you want steak you have to pay £7.50 more whether you spend your £25pp or not - this really didnt bother me but I was cheeky and thought I would ask if I kept my bill under the £25 could I have one included? Rebecca the waitress explained to me that she couldnt and that she was sorry - Not a problem I thought until I heard another couple on another table talking a gentlemen waiter/manager and they were not happy that the steak was not included either and Rebecca already explained to them before the gentlemen appeared that they couldnt within 1 minute of them speaking to the gentlemen they got there steak included - again this didnt bother me but it should not be one rule for one and another for another! To me that is really bad customer service.

When we returned to the room it was so stifiling hot so I turned the radiator off and opened the window it took about 2 hours for it to really cool down - there is no air conditioning in the rooms saying it is rated a 4*.

So after a rubbish nights sleep (as the pillows are terrible) we went for breakfast again not great impressions the tables had not been cleaned off with the other guests plates, cups etc and there must of been 10 tables like this - it seems as they leave them and clean all the tables in one go (relalised this on the second day as we were late for breakfast and saw them with the trolley cleaning all the table up) The breakfast was ok - Bacon, Sausages were nice the only gripe I had was the beans looked as if they had been there for a week!

Also in the breakfast menu it said there were smoothies avaliable on the buffet, I didnt see one on both days.

Room was cleaning could do with a bit of maintienence but was ok

I would also like to say that Rebecca (Waitress in the Tempest restaurant) is a asset to the Hotel

Overall would give this hotel a 4/10

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Kid1250

It appears that you have had a somewhat mixed experience during your stay at The Met. The level of service and the standard which you have described during your encounters in our restaurant are certainly not reflective of the level to which we usually operate and to hear that on this occasion a number of factors have let us down is concerning.

United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

Checked in as a single traveller and based on the previous reviews on this site, requested to stay on the 1st floor at the back of the hotel. The room had clearly been refurbished and I had no issues with the room. The heating was fine, usual complimentary soap, showel gel, tea bags. Surprisingly for a 4* no complimentary bottled water. Breakfast was just ok. Certainly not 4* treatment. Scrambled eggs avaulbale no Chef cooking up poached, fried etc as is generally expected at a 4* Lacking in finishing touches for a 4* hotel but granted, the hotel lobby, dinning area are fine.

Very good location 2mins from train station and new shopping centre. In view of this I have based my ratings. Would I stay here again? yes but only on business.

Room Tip: Back of hotel single rooms- quieter
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dear Operah11

I am pleased to say that on the back of your review the decision has now been taken to include bottled water in our rooms as well as other little extras that we feel will make a guests experience that little bit more memorable.

It was concerning to hear that our breakfast team did not pass you the information regarding the variety of eggs that we have available during breakfast service. I have ensured that training on this has taken place with immediate effect.

I hope that we may be able to welcome you back to us at some point in the near future so that we may show you a true reflection of the standard and quality that we pride ourselves on.

Carlisle, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

Whilst i still like the Met and will stay there again there are a few dissappointing factors about this hotel.First and foremost was the evening meal,its the only time my husband and i have eaten our meal there and it will be the last! My food was inedible,the tomatoe soup was just like a can of tomatoes,the jue on my tiny piece of chicken was so salty it was awful.I must however give a mention to the lovely waitress (Rebecca) she tried her best to resolve our issues but after all she is'nt the chef i'm sure she would make a better job of it if she were! We also phoned well in advance to reserve a room we know has been refurbished we did'nt get that,Oh and when booking our table for our meal we asked for table one,we did'nt get that either.The staff are all really nice but they need to communicate with each other more.The breakfast both mornings was good.

Room Tip: Choose room 602 or 325, both rooms are refurbished.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Simone S, General Manager at The Met Hotel Leeds, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear bello53

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent experience here at The Met. As a regular guest your thoughts are very much appreciated.

It was most disappointing to here that on this occasion your visit was let down whilst on your visit to The Tempus restaurant. The quality you have described is certainly not reflective of the standard that we operate too and after discussing your points with our Head Chef he is extremely disappointed that on this occasion substandard food has been allowed to leave his kitchen.

It was most pleasing however to hear of your positive comments for Rebecca.
Rebecca is valuable member of our team and I know it will mean a lot to here that her hard work has been appreciated.

I hope that we are able to continually welcome you back to The Met and that on your next visit your experience in our restaurant will be a more true reflection of the standard which we set.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel after being offered a two night free stay by their solihull sister hotel (see review of st johns hotel)

We stayed on the 4th floor and our bed was wonderfully comfortable and breakfast was nice. There was some noise from outside however when you're in the city centre and in an old building I guess that is to be expected. Staff were very friendly and the building was beautiful. The hotel is within walking distance from most things you'd want to see in the city centre. We thoroughly enjoyed our two day break.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Mrs BJohal

It was fantastic to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at The Met and very pleasing to be able to welcome you back to another PH Hotel.

I will be sure to pass on your wonderful comments to the team.