“Acceptable” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #44 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Kent, United Kingdom
“Acceptable”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

Beware they charge £20 a day to park., no hot food after 10pm so dont go to a show and expect room service afterwards. Bedroom only had 1 chair and room was noisy. It is a lovely Victorian which must be difficult to maintain although they are decorating .Breakfast was fresh and good. Not a 4 star hotel in my view

Room Tip: Ask for a high level room but there is only 1 small lift , so if you are in a hurry to leave in the...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Simone S, General Manager at The Met Hotel Leeds, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear PhilDSomerset

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your overall experience.

It was most disappointing to discover that you did not have a thoroughly positive experience whilst staying with us. We strive for all of our guests to have a wonderful experience and to hear on this occasion that we fell short of that is concerning.

I hope that at some point in the future we may be able to welcome you back to The Met and show you a true example of the standard and quality that we set here.

Simone Sansom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

I stayed just one night at the Met Hotel. A beautiful individual good sized room that was very comfortable with all the trimmings you would expect.
The good points were that the bed was very comfortable although quite a distance from the TV (remember to take your glasses if you need them). Bathroom spacious and immaculately clean. Being an avid watcher of 4 in a bed, I did the dust test on the hidden areas (not a speck) and checked out the mattress and cover (spotless).
On the down side my room faced onto what I can only assume is the rubbish yard. City Council were collecting at 1am (yes I heard every rattle) and then the staff moved the skips back at 7am. If you like to sleep with the window open, as I did, ask for a room over the quieter parts.

Breakfast was buffet style and included in my rate. A good choice of both hot and cold options with good coffee and attentive service.

Staff were extremely friendly and helpful, extra coffee and milk for the room, no problem.

Would definitely stay again, although I would try to get a quieter room.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the area where rubbish is collected can be noisy especially with the window open.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear 186233Julie

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your overall experience.

It was very pleasing to read that you enjoyed your overall stay here at The Met and that our bedrooms passed your rigorous “4 in a bed” cleaning checks.

Your comment concerning the collection of refuse from our neighbours is something that we are currently working on with Leeds City Council and I must apologise that on this occasion this adversely affected your stay.

I hope that the positives of your stay far out weighed the negatives and that we will be able to welcome you back to The Met at some point in the near future.

manchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

Everything about the hotel was as you'd expect in a city centre location - attractive lobby and ground floor rooms. My issue was with the room. It was pretty standard, but I was thinking that given the location and history of the building that they'd put more effort into the bedrooms. Textbook cheap coffee and uht milk, and not much else. The bathroom wasn't great. The shower was really dated and took ages to warm up, and the bath felt cheap. I was only in the shower for about 3 mins and the water level was up to my ankles! The felt unsafe too, like I was going to fall through to the room underneath! The staff are great though and informative about where to eat and go out.

• Stayed January 2014
Dear Onry14

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your overall experience.

It appears you had a somewhat mixed experience whilst staying with us and it was disappointing to hear that the negatives related to the bedroom. I would very much like the opportunity to investigate the issues you faced a little further in order to rectify the obvious problems as this is certainly not reflective of the standard that we have here at the Hotel.

If you are able to contact us and offer a little more information it would be very gratefully received.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

I don't usually write reviews but I feel the customer service offered at The Met merited comment. I stayed last night on business and despite arriving late I was met with a warm smile and friendly chat. The room, though a little small, was warm and comfy and well equipped. Breakfast was excellent and there was a real sense of professionalism about the whole thing but what really made my stay was the fact I had to pack quickly to catch a train and in so doing left my pyjamas behind. When I phoned up not only did the Receptionist recognise me just from my voice, she also recalled my room number and immediately got someone to retrieve said pyjamas and then put them in the post for me. This was all done with a smile and a genuine sense of wanting to help the customer, I was extremely impressed and will definitely return.

Room Tip: Inward facing rooms are quieter
1 Thank mlh81
Met-Guest-Relations, General Manager at The Met Hotel Leeds, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear MLH81

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your overall experience of The Met Hotel.

It was very pleasing to read of the excellent service you received whilst at The Met. It is always a positive moment when the excellent care and attention of our colleagues is noticed and recognised.

I am very pleased to say that your wonderful review was extremely well received by our reception team.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to The Met at some point in the near future.

lakeland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is just short walk from the station, and is well placed to explore Leeds on foot.
It retains its some of its original features, lovely entrance, high ceilings and archways, and has obviously undergone a bit of a makeover, with contemporary furnishings and colour scheme. The staff were helpful and knowledgable on local restaurants.
Our initial room,was on the second floor and clean , however it was really noisy, having the service lift next to it, no double glazing, the traffic noise throughout the night was relentless.
We were also keep awake by local bars depositing empty bottles in the bottle banks, and a number of individuals going through the bins, so avoid room 208!
The following morning we were moved to 6th floor, the receptionist, was very apologetic and arranged for us to move straightaway.
The breakfast buffet was plentiful and varied, and served until 11am on the Sunday.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear cannygirl

Thank you for taking the time to leave comment on your experience at The Met.

It appears that you had a somewhat mixed experience whilst at The Met. It is disappointing to hear however that you did not have the best nights sleep possible.

We are currently aware of the problems regarding noise from surrounding businesses and we have subsequently enlisted the help of Leeds City Council in order to eradicate these problems; however I must apologise that on this unfortunate occasion you were subject to that noise.

It is extremely pleasing to hear that our team were able to help you with this problem in a swift and professional manner and that you enjoyed your breakfast the following morning.

I hope that we maybe able to welcome you back to The Met at some point in the future and you are able to have the wonderful nights sleep that we strive for, for all our guests.

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

Stayed on business in January but have been here for conferences in past. Olde worlde in many ways but efficient & clean with fairly large rooms. Booking in was good experience (Holly) and was given a single room with a 3/4 double bed - great news as I am 6'5".

Two irks with the stay that could be sorted - firstly there is no free WiFi. As a business traveller needing to do work that night in my room, I can understand paying for a high speed cable connection, but no free WiFi??? Standard everywhere these days, I feel.

Also needed a fast meal in my room, so looked at room service. Founds that whatever I ordered, there was going to be an additional £5 tray fee. Seems extortionate and much higher than I see anywhere else (if they charge at all).

Hint for parking - there are a few spaces here and cost is £20 overnight? There's good, well lit, secure parking in long term multi-story at Leeds Station only 3 mins walk away. Costs £17.50 for 24 hours.

1 Thank Ashley J
Dear Ashley J

Thank you for your comments regarding your experience at The Met, we value all feedback here at The Met especially that as constructive as yours.

It was pleasing to here that we were able to offer you one of our single rooms with queen sized beds – I dare say this would be a basic requirement for someone over 6ft 5 inches tall.

Your comments regarding WIFI are currently being addressed. I am pleased to say that the first phase of this has been completed as we now have over 25 rooms connected with free WIFI. It is planned that the rest of the rooms will follow suit in the coming months.

I must also apologise that you felt the tray charge for your room service to be extortionate. This is however very common practice in Hotels and the charge is somewhat cheaper than a lot of our competitors. I will however take your comments into consideration the next time we review this offering.

I do hope that we may be able to welcome you back to The Met at some point in the very near future.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

This hotel is ideally situated close to the centre of town. It has an amazing front entrance and lobby. It is a very traditional style with lots of high ceilings. The room was clean and comfortable and the bathroom was huge. There is a car park the entrance of which is right before the hotel entrance. You get half an hour free internet access a day.
The breakfast room is huge and well decorated but was very dark, but the cooked breakfast was superb. Car parking cost £20 which I think is to much though even if the other hotels charge that amount.

Room Tip: Try and find a public car park close by.
1 Thank Dale H
Met-Guest-Relations, General Manager at The Met Hotel Leeds, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear Dale H

Thank you for your comments regarding your experience at The Met.

It was very pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay at The Met in particular the décor and the breakfast. Our breakfast chef will be delighted with your comments.

Your comments regarding the parking have been duly noted and will be used in our evaluation of pricing for this facility over the next coming weeks.

I hope that we may be able to welcome you back to The Met at some point in the future for another enjoyable stay.