“Good hotel for Central Leeds”

The Met Hotel Leeds
Ranked #44 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Stayed here in October to attend friends hen party.
Great location in Leeds as you can walk from train station.
Near to all the bars etc.
On arrival mid-afternoon some rooms were not ready and the reception staff couldn't help - it appears people did not check out on time - but surely new arrivals should not have to suffer!
Rooms nice, decorated very well with all amenities in the room - iron, tea & coffee making facilities etc.
Sunday morning breakfast was excellent, everything you could want.

Would recommend this hotel for city centre break.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Met-Guest-Relations, General Manager at The Met Hotel Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Dear Jo M,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your experience here at The Met Hotel.

It was pleasing to hear that you had an enjoyable time for your friends’ Hen party. My apologies for any delays that may have been caused by any guests that may have unduly extended their stay without a thought for newly arriving guests. I trust you still had a wonderful weekend despite this.

Once again thank you for your kind review.

Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here whilst working in Leeds.

Plus points:
Rooms were okish. Clean. Blinding breakfast. Good quality bacon and sausage.

Negative:
Creaky floorboards. Noisy can hear people walking from floor above. Cold rooms.

Wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JayPaaji

Dear JayPaaji

Thank you for your recent review of your experience at The Met Hotel. It is through reviews that we are able to monitor and assess our current guest offering.

It was disappointing to hear that you faced a number of points that detracted from your overall enjoyment at The Met.

As a listed building we are very fortunate to have many fantastic features that come along with a period building, however this does still proceed some challenges, such as creaky floor boards. We are however looking to improve upon this point as part of our on-going development process within the next 12 months

I hope that at some point in the future we may be able to welcome you back to The Met so that you are able to view these changes for yourself.

Reviewed December 22, 2013

Stayed here last Friday as I was at a Christmas party, the hotel is ideally situated if travelling by train. From the outside the hotel looks very "oldy worldy" however the interior is quite modern. My double room was quite small as was the bed, however it was extremely comfortable and I had a great nights sleep, everything was spotless and a great shower. The breakfast was very good I even went back for seconds:) and the waiting staff were lovely making me feel very welcome. I would most definitely stay here again, really good value for money.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Dear Blondie2302,

It is pleasing to hear that you had an enjoyable Christmas party as well as a comfortable night on top of this. I will be sure to pass your kind comments back on to all the staff.

I do hope that we may be able to welcome you back to The Met at some point in the very near future.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on the night of the 15th of December, It was my 60th birthday the following day and as we had had our wedding reception here 35 years previously my husband had booked an executive suite on the 6th floor as a surprise. I couldn't fault the room. It was clean,comfortable and very spacious but also very expensive. We went into the bar area after settling in, to get something to eat, but after waiting for 10 minutes or so my husband had to go off and find someone to serve us. The food when it arrived was OK - nothing out of the ordinary. The bed was very comfortable and we had a good night's sleep. The food at breakfast the following morning was varied and quite well cooked although, by the time we had finished, we had cereal bowls, side plates, dinner plates glasses and cups and saucers all piled up because none of the waiting staff had been to clear them up. From a nostalgic point of view we enjoyed re-aquainting ourselves with The Metropole but I think it will be another good few years before we return.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Dixie362

Thank you for your recent review of your experience at The Met Hotel. It was wonderful to read of your historic connection with The Met Hotel and such a joy to hear that you were able to come back and share such a special occasion with us.

Please accept my apologies for the few service failures that appear to have had a negative impact on your stay. These occurrences are not the norm at The Met Hotel and are certainly not reflective of the high standard that we set for ourselves here at The Met.

It was pleasing to hear that you will be returning to The Met in the future and I look forward to welcoming you so that we may show you a true example of the service and quality that we pride ourselves on here at The Met Hotel

Reviewed December 19, 2013

I stayed at the Met for one night at the start of the month for work. This was the first (and will be the last time) that someone else made a booking for me.
The location of the hotel was just right and, on the face of it, the hotel looked promising.
Unfortunately, I was booked in to a single room which was small to say the least. The TV was the old CRT type and with a case in the room, or the ironing board up, walking in the limited space available was difficult.
There was a strange smell in the room (I had to open the window to give the room a good airing) when I arrived, the windows (which I presume are due to the building being listed) were the old 'sash' type and didn't really stop any noise or draughts. The former was a little annoying as it seemed like I had a big fan of some sort working all evening just outside the window.
Whilst staff were friendly on check-out I found the check-in staff fairly miserable and looking/acting as if they didn't want to be there.
I didn't use the restaurant but did use the bar. Unfortunately, the hotel seemed to lack atmosphere.....
I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't book a single room!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank BirminghamBigFella

Dear Birminghambigfella

It was disappointing to hear that you faced a number of challenges during your stay at The Met.
I am very pleased to say however that since your stay we have changed all of our old Televisions for brand new flat screen televisions as part of our ongoing process to rejuvenate certain aspects of the hotel. The next step of this process will see many other areas of the hotel brought in line with the demands of the modern day traveller.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

I've stayed here before and was impressed but its either gone rapidly downhill or I was in the cheap rooms this time!

The building and communal areas are stunning but I think they need to think a bit more about the rooms. I was on the 3rd floor and assumed the window was open when I went in due to the amount of noise coming in from outside - but it was shut! It was an old sash-window in desperate need of double glazing. Thankfully I was on the back of the hotel but the noise still kept me awake.

The curtains are on some sort of odd frame which holds them about 20cm away from the window and stops them pulling to the ends of the window so you get a gap where the light comes in. Not too much of a problem in the winter but I'd hate that in the summer when it gets light much earlier.

The bedside cabinet was badly scratched, but I have to be fair and say the bathroom was smart, the bed was comfy and everything was very clean.

I couldn't find a room-service breakfast order form so rang down for one. About half an hour later, a guy came to the door to take my order himself as they couldn't find the forms! And then it didn't turn up the next morning until I chased it. It seems they'd taken it to someone else's room, but they did waive the tray charge (which is an extortionate £10) for the inconvenience.

It certainly wasn't hideous - I've stayed in worse - but I'm just disappointed that it was nowhere near as good as last time.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on one of the upper floors to get away from the street noise.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear Redhead49

It was disappointing to read that on your last visit our standards fell short of those which you had experienced on visits before then.

We are currently in the midst of an on-going process to rejuvenate our current bedroom. This will include the windows and furniture of the bedroom and we hope to bring these in line with the requirements of the everyday modern traveller.

I hope that we may be able to welcome you back to The Met at some point in the future so that you may be able to judge these changes for yourself.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

I went from being stuck at the Leeds Station after a lovely night out with colleagues to having my best sleep for the year 2013 at The Met! Extra comfy bed it was.

Thanks for the brilliant service, great bed on a cold and wet winter night!

Looking forward to visiting again but on a planned trip!

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear Curiousbenjie,

It is always very pleasing to read a review as wonderful as yours. I will be sure to pass your kind comments back on to all the staff.